Feature Request

EmbyFeedBackFR

EmbyFeedBackFR
Hi,

I'm an old user of Emby software, i'm now a "emby premier" user for a year and today i will tell you what kind of feature can be interesting to improve the service.

First of all, Thanks you to the whole team, it's a great job you did and i have to say well played.

Whats version i use : 4.4.0.9 beta on Windows server 2019.

I have a bug to tell you for start :

When a serie is not known by your metadata grabber, and when i link the folder to a id imdb or something else, it don't update information, it let a colour as picture and no information are grabbed to improve the ergonomy of the service as well as he is good for well known series.

Feature Requested : 

Let the choice to transcode in RAM, i'm already using a software mount of logical HDD (Passmark OSF Mount) to put the transcode tmp in ram and so improve the I/O performance.

Then it can be usefull too made a library open to the community to have free licence or paid licence for Cinema Intro because for people like me who are not good in Video making it can be a great service that the community can share their work.

A new way of feature about sys can be to put a system of maintenance mode, in react of a problem i get behind reverse proxy i made a message if emby is off but in the app, he didn't show any message, so it can be a great feature to introduce a default message when emby is down. (you can check in a file into the http/https server used by emby and if it discover a xml (introduce by reverseproxy when emby is down) or something else instead of emby it show the contain of it as maintenance mode. It's better than a message server not found.

Thanks you for your reading and sorry for my english, i do my best !

Best Regard.

An happy user.

Edited by Luke

Transcoding to Ram cold be very tough because you need to have enough space to hold the complete file being transcoded.  What happens if a user plays back a 50GB blue ray rip and can handle the video but has an issue with Atmos sound? The file would get remuxed only changing the audio track and could still be 50GB on disk!  What happens if 3 or 4 people try to play back rips like this? Do you have 150 to 200 GB you can dedicate to a RAM disk to prevent things like this from happening? On modern operating systems they will use memory to cache your reads/writes and keep your IO way down.  So normally, you are far better off just letting your OS handle the best use of memory.

What can be a really good idea is the use of an SSD drive used just for transcoding.  I have large/expensive 1TB+ drives but I also purchase a cheap 240 GB "throw away" drive used just for transcoding.  Drives like this are $35 or less these days.  I basically consider them throw away drives and plan to replace them yearly (haven't had to but it's what I plan on).  So this drives saves wear and tear on my normal drives, is tons faster than any platter drive and combined with the caching utilities that come with them can use memory for read/write caching making transcoding storage cheap and fast.

So, I'd go that route unless you have small files overall or only a couple of users and know you can get by creating a ram disk manually which Emby Server will happily use.

BTW, You will get more support and really need to make ONE REQUEST per feature request thread so users know exactly what the request is and can vote on it.

Carlo

Edited by cayars