Debug Help Request- Playback, Guides and Recordings

sailracer

sailracer

I ran into a problem last night and its turned into a rats nest of problems and I could use some help figuring out how to use/debug various parts.

Background:

I have two tuners in my system- a Hauppauge quad OTA tuner and an HDHRPrime cable card tuner connected to Verizon.  My eventual goal is to drop the Verizon cable and just use OTA (and streaming) so I am working my way up to that.

Both tuners are detected and importing the correct guide data for their channels

I play back via the Emby app on my LG SmartTV

I set up several series recordings a couple weeks ago.  For anything on broadcast TV I wanted to use the OTA tuners in preparation for dropping cable, so I set up the series recording from the guide for that tuner and selected that channel only in the series settings.

Problems:

One of the series recordings last night did not play back smoothly.  I'm not sure how to describe it- maybe like it had a lower frames per second?  Or maybe an interlacing problem?  Anyway, it was very hard to watch.  The stats for nerds said playback mode was direct?  Not sure what that means, but I have heard other people mention it on here.  I tried convert and selected TV and the problem still occurred.  When I play the video back on my computer, it is fine.

What's odd is a show on the same network recorded an hour earlier was fine.  Unfortunately I deleted it after watching, so I don't have the file to compare stats on to see what is different.  That got me wondering about whether one show was recorded on the OTA tuner and the other on the cablecard tuner.  When I look at the series settings now, the selected channels show up differently.  It is hard to tell which one is coming from which tuner because it just gives the network name, but I suspect the recording with the problem came from the cablecard tuner.  Is there a way to tell? 

What is also weird is in the series management, it only gives me one channel choice for the series recording.  Shouldn't it have two since I have two guide sources for that network and the show is on both?  Furthermore, the series recording of this show last week was fine.  Did the channel choice change on its own at some point?

I plan to do some more experimenting with recordings to see if I can figure this out, but any tips or insight provided here would be much appreciated.  Thanks!

sailracer

I'm playing around with this a little more and see that on a new recording I have set up, it is changing the recording channel from the OTA tuner to the HD Homerun prime despite me selecting only the OTA channel.  The attached screenshots show this.

post-565205-0-00381200-1580340671_thumb.png

post-565205-0-29004300-1580340681_thumb.png

I can't seen any specific issues

The remux logs appear to be from playback in the web client, not the LG App, but they are useful to get the mediaInfo.  Are they from the good or bad playback file?

According to the server log, it looks like the playback in the LG TV was DirectPlay.  Was that the recording that did not play back smoothly?

If you still have the bad playback file you can PM a link to me and I'll try it.

I'm playing around with this a little more and see that on a new recording I have set up, it is changing the recording channel from the OTA tuner to the HD Homerun prime despite me selecting only the OTA channel.  The attached screenshots show this.

"Only on this channel" means that actual broadcast channel - not that channel on that tuner.  Emby pools your tuners and will select any available one with that channel.

Does that explain that for you?

sailracer

"Only on this channel" means that actual broadcast channel - not that channel on that tuner.  Emby pools your tuners and will select any available one with that channel.

Does that explain that for you?

That does answer that question.  I'll suggest the ability to select the tuner as well would be a great future enhancement for the guide :)

Thanks!

One of the series recordings last night did not play back smoothly.  I'm not sure how to describe it- maybe like it had a lower frames per second?  Or maybe an interlacing problem?  Anyway, it was very hard to watch.  The stats for nerds said playback mode was direct?  Not sure what that means, but I have heard other people mention it on here.  I tried convert and selected TV and the problem still occurred.  When I play the video back on my computer, it is fine.

What's odd is a show on the same network recorded an hour earlier was fine.  Unfortunately I deleted it after watching, so I don't have the file to compare stats on to see what is different.  That got me wondering about whether one show was recorded on the OTA tuner and the other on the cablecard tuner.  When I look at the series settings now, the selected channels show up differently.  It is hard to tell which one is coming from which tuner because it just gives the network name, but I suspect the recording with the problem came from the cablecard tuner.  Is there a way to tell? 

Are your referring to the occasional jerky stuttering that occurs during playback?  I can see that and I imagine it would be annoying.

What's interesting is if you watch the first 5 minutes before the episode starts (ie: the Star Wars Disney promo and even the end of the show before Modern family) it appears to play perfectly fine.  Would you agree?  If you jump to the 30 minute mark and watch the ads they also seems fine.  It's really only the program that stutters.  I don't expect that that the frame rate would change between the program and the ads but it does look like something wasn't right.  

Have you seen any other occurrences of this?

sailracer

Are your referring to the occasional jerky stuttering that occurs during playback?  I can see that and I imagine it would be annoying.

What's interesting is if you watch the first 5 minutes before the episode starts (ie: the Star Wars Disney promo and even the end of the show before Modern family) it appears to play perfectly fine.  Would you agree?  If you jump to the 30 minute mark and watch the ads they also seems fine.  It's really only the program that stutters.  I don't expect that that the frame rate would change between the program and the ads but it does look like something wasn't right.  

Have you seen any other occurrences of this?

No, I have a different result.  When I'm watching it, it happens from the beginning including ads- it is almost like it is running at half the frame rate it should (again only on the LG App, it is fine on the computer running on the same display through Emby Theater).  The motion of everything is consistently jerky and not smooth.  It seems to make everything slightly fuzzy/not sharp, too.  The Millenneum Falcon in the Disney ad is very jerky.

I have not seen this problem on any other recordings, but then this is probably the only one on this network that was recorded from the cable tuner rather than OTA tuner.  Maybe it's a de-interlacing problem?  I have other 1080i material recorded from the cable tuner that works fine, though that is usually from higher numbered stations that might be compressed more. 

Edited by sailracer

• 2 weeks later...

The Millenneum Falcon in the Disney ad is very jerky.

Just a thought, if your LG TV is OLED (mine is not) then you may be experiencing issues similar to this thread which I won't see.

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/81644-emby-playback-gets-some-stuttering-in-traveling-scenes/&do=findComment&comment=834535

The whole thread is worth reading, but I've linked to his solution.  I think some of these settings are only available on newer models c8+? but worth checking out your settings.

Edited by SamES

sailracer

Mine isn't an OLED either, but that does give me some thoughts that maybe video settings aren't the same for the HDMI input vs. the internal processor.  I can do some experimenting.  It also looks like a new episode is finally on again tonight, so I can see if the problem repeats itself.

sailracer

I recorded last night's Modern Family on both tuners and they both play back fine on the LG TV, so I am unable to reproduce the problem.  They even had the same Star Wars commercial to compare.  The OTA tuner recorded at 15.9mbps using an MPEG2VIDEO Main codec and the cablecard tuner recorded at 7.2mbps using an H264 High codec which is what the original recording with the problem was.  I guess whatever went wrong was a one-off problem.  Thanks for the debug help!  This was a worthy exercise for me to get more familiar with the Emby workings.