Hibernation Info Needed

sch586

I noticed that my synology nas lights were all off and it looks like it may have went into hibernation. My question is that since all of my media that I use on my Emby server is located there, will Emby wake up the nas to be able to access my media? I know this has probably been asked before, but I can't seem to find this information anywhere on this forum as I did do several searches. The only info I could find was that Emby was not letting my nas go into hibernation, but that is not my case. I just want to make sure that if I actually try to play media from my nas while it is in hibernation, that Emby will wake my nas up so that I do not have to manually wake it up. Thanks for all the help.

So if I have all my media on my nas and it goes into hibernation, then Emby will not be able to play anything off that nas until it comes out of hibernation? Sounds like I should turn my hibernation feature off then?

Gilgamesh_48

So if I have all my media on my nas and it goes into hibernation, then Emby will not be able to play anything off that nas until it comes out of hibernation? Sounds like I should turn my hibernation feature off then?

It is my belief that servers and storage devices used by servers should NEVER sleep or hibernate. It really saves very little electricity or wear and tear and it makes access harder. In fact there is a significant body of belief, supported by many tests, that says that drives and other electronics have their lives shortened to some extent by too many power up/down cycles.

I just leave my servers and storage systems on all the time and I have very few failures and almost no access problems.

I only allow display devices to sleep an I am not even completely sure that, with modern display devices, does any good or increases the lifespan of those display devices. I just like walking into my server room and seeing all the little lights without the distraction of the big displays unless I need a display to preform some task.