Bypassing DirectStream

hndrewaall

hndrewaall

I am trying to play 4k streams (hevc, mkv) but am having severe performance issues due to the writing of ts files to the cache. While my cache is blazing fast SSD RAID, the fact that it copies the *entire* file (upwarss of 70gb in some cases) means I can’t really play until the copy finishes. Moreover, the moment I close the movie and reopen, the cache is gone and must be recopied. How can I get Emby to DirectPlay instead? My files are hosted on an HDD RAID with plenty of read performance, so if I can get those to the network without any disk writes I think I should be fine.

HI there, what Emby app are you playing with? Did you explore the stats feature in the video player to learn why it wasn't direct playing?

hndrewaall

LG TV. DirectStream doesn’t show a reason in “Stats for Nerds”, and as far as I can remember never has. FWIW same thing happens on iOS, but not sure my iPad can actually hardware decode 70mbps hevc anyway.

hndrewaall

Ah, the logs illuminated it. It was transcoding audio due to lack of client support. The fact that it just shows "direct streaming" in the client and doesn't show the reason is confusing :/ But, I'm good now. Thanks!