Limit number of active streams?

squatingyeti

squatingyeti

Hello all and forgive me if I'm missing the setting somewhere. I'm wondering if there's a way to limit the number of active streams? I know I can handle 3 transcodes and remote streams with my system. The problem is, a 4th stream can start up and destroy everyone's experience. Is there a way to send a message stating the server is currently full or to limit the amount of active streams the server will allow?

Thank you and thank you to those working so hard on this great software.

• Like 2

techywarrior

I think that's actually a good idea. It would have to be an advanced setting that defaults to 0 (no limit) and then you could manually put in a limit.

- I'm not saying this will happen. Just that my personal opinion is this is a good idea. Luke will make a definitive response one way or the other.

squatingyeti

Yeah, definitely an advanced setting and not something a ton of people would use, but for those like me it would be amazing. I've pooled my family's collection of media and done this server to make it available to them.

Not a bad idea but we'd have to make sure all clients react to the situation properly.  All of them would have to be modified to recognize this condition and display a friendly message instead of simply failing.

squatingyeti

I understand how complex that could be lol. What if there was just a way to show the number of active streams when someone signs in? They would know not to start another, but it wouldn't stop them if they hated everyone haha.

I understand how complex that could be lol. What if there was just a way to show the number of active streams when someone signs in? They would know not to start another, but it wouldn't stop them if they hated everyone haha.

Doing that would require the same technical capabilities as your original request - which I think is a better option.

techywarrior

Not a bad idea but we'd have to make sure all clients react to the situation properly.  All of them would have to be modified to recognize this condition and display a friendly message instead of simply failing.

Yes, but if Luke puts in the functionality I am sure the apps would get updated to support it. A semi related idea is that the API should respond with an error message, if it doesn't already, on a failed play. Then the apps could just built support for displaying that API response and any new functionality added to the API that changes or limits playback would already be handled by the apps without having to check for each type of limitation.

squatingyeti

Doing that would require the same technical capabilities as your original request - which I think is a better option.

Gotcha. My knowledge of coding is limited to java plugins for Minecraft, so forgive my ignorance. I'm not sure how helpful this idea would be for most users, so I can certainly understand if it's something not worth looking at.

squatingyeti

I'm not sure if this should be a different thread or more like an extension of limiting the number of active users, but I was also thinking something about limiting the bandwidth per user or limiting the stream resolution. Like if I wanted every person to be limited to 720p or 3mbps bandwidth.

Please don't hate me for my probably hard to implement thoughts lol

Gronnie

I'm not sure if this should be a different thread or more like an extension of limiting the number of active users, but I was also thinking something about limiting the bandwidth per user or limiting the stream resolution. Like if I wanted every person to be limited to 720p or 3mbps bandwidth.

Please don't hate me for my probably hard to implement thoughts lol

I was going to suggest something like this.

Would be nice to adjust bandwidth for each stream based on how many simultaneous streams there are. eg If my upload speed is 4 Mb/s and there is only one stream going, it can max out the upload. However, if there is 3 streams going, then each stream can only be 1.XX Mb/s so that every user can have a good experience w/ minimal stuttering and/or buffering.

Maybe it already works like this, but if not, it would be awesome.

These are all good ideas.  Just realize we still have a lot of more basic features to implement before we get to this kind of fine-tuning.