Photo

Emby on Samsung S10, S8+, Tab A - Portable Media Server

Portable Media Server Solution Portable drives on Samsung EMBY Android Server Media Server on Samsung Travelling with media server

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 149391 posts
  • Local time: 02:06 AM

Posted 19 January 2020 - 02:04 AM

Hi All,

Another question about the Android Server: Does it required premium subscription for HW Decoding & Encoding instead of CPU only for transconding on Android Server?

Hi there, yes it does. We work very hard on Emby Server and we thank you for your support.

• natsu likes this

#22 jscheeren OFFLINE  

jscheeren

• Members
  • 20 posts
  • LocationOttawa, Ontario. Canada

Posted 19 January 2020 - 03:53 PM

Thanks to softworx and Luke. I look forward to testing a new version of Emby Android Server that will work better on the Samsung S10, such that the Emby Android TV and Amazon Fire Stick 4k Emby clients can play videos from that server. I could then also test transcoding and how many clients this architecture could support, if they are interested for me to do so. In the meantime, and with regards to my Samsung S8+ and Tab A tablet, if Paragon responds with a solution to me, such that Emby Server could connect to larger disks via Paragons exFat and NTFS bridge, on those hardware platforms, then I shall test those as well.

Cheers, Jan.

Edited by jscheeren, 19 January 2020 - 07:28 PM.

#23 jscheeren OFFLINE  

jscheeren

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 22 January 2020 - 10:19 PM

Test #4

Good news for setting up a Portable Media Server System that will certainly last over 6 hours (and I am guessing a lot more) using the hardware setup as described above, but using a Samsung S8+ (Android 9) as the server device. Portable drives however can not be greater than 2TB. Using hard disks greater than 2 TB will not mount on the Samsung S8+ (but can on the S10), nor can disks formatted as NTFS work on either device - even when using the Paragon NTFS/exFAT software - as Emby cannot access the drives via Paragon at this time. So, drives must be formatted as exFAT.

This evening I connected 8 devices playing simultaneously (with no freezing, or any other blips) from an Emby Android Server on the S8+, with 4 of them transcoding and the other 4 playing direct.

Emby on Android TV and Emby on the Fire Stick 4k and Emby running on the S8+ itself, all worked fine, but each of these needed to be transcoded.

I am very much looking forward to the Emby Android Server being fixed by the developers to run on Android 10 on the Samsung S10, so as to be able to work with disks greater than 2TB. I am excited for Emby that they may be able to release this product in the near future, if they choose.

This setup IMHO, may be the only media solution available, that has a sophisticated server and with many varied devices running as clients, as a totally portable one - and of course also able to be shared with powered devices. Airplanes and hotel rooms now have a single solution for my family and friends viewing pleasure. 

Huge congratulations to the team at EMBY.

Jan 

Edited by jscheeren, 23 January 2020 - 05:35 PM.

• ebr, softworkz and natsu like this

#24 softworkz OFFLINE  

softworkz

Advanced Member

• Developers
  • 2408 posts
  • Local time: 08:06 AM

Posted 22 January 2020 - 10:56 PM

This evening I connected 8 devices playing simultaneously (with no freezing, or any other blips) from an Emby Android Server on the S8+, with 4 of them transcoding and the other 4 playing direct.

Emby on Android TV and Emby on the Fire Stick 4k and Emby running on the S8+ itself, all worked fine, but each of these needed to be transcoded.

That's really awesome! I don't think we have ever tested so many simultaneous clients on a phone.

Anyway, AFAIK, Emby Server is the only media server that can do hw acceleration on all Android devices (that support hw acceleration) - so spread the word!

I am very much looking forward to the Emby Android Server being fixed by the developers to run on Android 10 on the Samsung S10, so as to be able to work with disks greater than 2TB

Support for Android 10 will be added shortly.

#25 natsu OFFLINE  

natsu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 41 posts
  • Local time: 03:06 PM

Posted 23 January 2020 - 03:57 AM

NTFS formatted device shouldn't be use on Android device due to base on MS closed-sourced file system, but the exFAT should be used and maximum 2TB and supported by native on Android since Android Kitkat...

#26 jscheeren OFFLINE  

jscheeren

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 23 January 2020 - 11:18 AM

natsu

There were some problems with running Emby Server on Android 10 on the Samsung S10 (they are being fixed at Emby,) but I was certainly able to load WD Passport Portable 3TB and a 4TB exFAT drives simultaneously. As described at the beginning of this topic, I used a USB C hub with a battery pack. At least 3 other devices were able to play video files at the same time with no problems, with files from both drives. So, my experience, is that there certainly was a 2TB limit to drive size on a Samsung S8+ (Android 9,) but this limit appears to not apply to a Samsung S10 (Android 10.) At this time, it appears to me that the size limit on the S8+ of 2TB, may well be by Samsung. Interestingly, Sony Android TVs can apparently mount up to 16TB drives, either exFAT or NTFS, from Android 6 upwards!  https://www.sony.com...ticles/00148248

Edited by jscheeren, 23 January 2020 - 11:57 AM.

#27 jscheeren OFFLINE  

jscheeren

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 23 January 2020 - 06:00 PM

Test #5

More good news.

Was able to run test same as Test #4 above (which used Samsung S8+) but, this time using my Samsung Tab A 10.5" tablet to host the Emby Android Server. These can be bought for just US$165 on amazon.com.

Was able to run 8 devices as clients with no problems, but this time, only the Fire Stick 4k required transcoding ie, not the Android TV client. Also, it seems I could not play videos on the Tab A (server) with the other clients running, but it could at beginning of test?

In both Test #4 and this Test #5, i confidently believe I could have run more clients simultaneously, but have not tested that yet to determine upper limit. 

#28 natsu OFFLINE  

natsu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 41 posts
  • Local time: 03:06 PM

Posted 25 January 2020 - 02:40 AM

natsu

There were some problems with running Emby Server on Android 10 on the Samsung S10 (they are being fixed at Emby,) but I was certainly able to load WD Passport Portable 3TB and a 4TB exFAT drives simultaneously. As described at the beginning of this topic, I used a USB C hub with a battery pack. At least 3 other devices were able to play video files at the same time with no problems, with files from both drives. So, my experience, is that there certainly was a 2TB limit to drive size on a Samsung S8+ (Android 9,) but this limit appears to not apply to a Samsung S10 (Android 10.) At this time, it appears to me that the size limit on the S8+ of 2TB, may well be by Samsung. Interestingly, Sony Android TVs can apparently mount up to 16TB drives, either exFAT or NTFS, from Android 6 upwards!  https://www.sony.com...ticles/00148248

Hi Jscheeren,

The exFAT file system should be 64ZB if the range is 64bit addressing, but in my imagination, most vendor just set it as 32bit addressing (2TB) limited for stable consideration, Sony is added more module with the USB OTG with various file system support.

If the Samsung Galaxy S8 up to Android 10, maybe the limitation of storage is break...

P.S. For Android Linux Kernel, the native Exfat function supporting list as below:

Before Kernel 3.4 : no support or need 3rd party module (max 32GB as FAT32 did)

Kernel 3.10~3.18 : maximum 128GB

Kernel 4.1~4.4 : maximum 256GB

Kernel 4.14 : maximum 512GB

Kernel 5.4 : maximum 512TB

Edited by natsu, 25 January 2020 - 02:53 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users