Roku fails to play large recorded files

cpeng

bcm00re

In the log, I first attempted to play it on the Roku 3 around 12:10 (got the error) then I went to my Roku Express at about 12:13 and played it without issue (for about a minute).

Edited by bcm00re

Is the one that won't play it having to transcode (or remux it)?  That would cause the same issue as when it was a different file format.

bcm00re

The Express that plays it fine is only connected via WiFi whereas the 3 (that can't) has a wired connection. Neither one has any bandwidth restrictions setup.

bcm00re

The file is question plays fine on my 2016 Roku Premiere, 2017 Roku Express+, and 2016 Roku Express. It does not play on my 2013 Roku 3 or 2013 Roku LT. I could understand the LT having problems because it is 'underpowered', but 2016 Express and 2013 Roku 3 are effectively equals -- both have 900MHz processors and 512MB of memory (with 256MB for channels). Yet one will play it and the other cannot.

Edited by bcm00re

What is the media information for that file from the bottom of the web app?

The 2013 versions of the Roku 3 and Roku LT are Broadcom(BCM) devices. The others you mention are Mstar devices. That is the difference. Some of the Broadcom devices are not as capable as the Mstar devices are. Knowing the media information would confirm that fact or at least give clues to why Broadcom doesn't like that flavor of media. Once you supply that we can see what exactly is causing the Roku to flake out. Thanks and apologies you have issues. :)

Edited by speechles

bcm00re

@speechless

I noted the difference in processor brands and wondered if that might be it. The details of the file I am trying to play are in this post in another thread:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/81692-emby-wont-play-nfl-playoff-game/page-2&do=findComment&comment=835526

That thread also has the details of the original file -- that I ran Emby Covert on -- if those details are needed to.

No need to apologize; hopefully you guys can determine a fix. Thanks!

Edited by bcm00re

I bought a brand new Roku Premiere and replaced the Roku 3 -- and I still get the error!?!

Exactly how is it playing?

bcm00re

Oddly enough I didn't have any issue playing the Super Bowl recording and I didn't even have to do the Convert. So I'm just going to let the issue go on the playoff game. :)

• 1 year later...

Es un problema de la app o de las opciones. Emby no reproduce en roku archivos que duran muchas horas. En jellyfin si las reproduce. Tube que partir la  pelucula en 2 y se pudo reproducir. Justice league de 4hr. Espero y lo arreglen

On 3/19/2021 at 10:17 AM, raker said:

Es un problema de la app o de las opciones. Emby no reproduce en roku archivos que duran muchas horas. En jellyfin si las reproduce. Tube que partir la  pelucula en 2 y se pudo reproducir. Justice league de 4hr. Espero y lo arreglen

Hola, ¿podemos ver un ejemplo? Gracias.

Isn't that still the issue that Roku has problems when the byte-size of the HLS playlist is getting too large?

12 hours ago, softworkz said:

Isn't that still the issue that Roku has problems when the byte-size of the HLS playlist is getting too large?

Yes, I'm pretty sure this is what it is.  The question is what can we do about it...?

Tube que partir la pelicula de liga de la justicia en 2.  No se como mandarles la info para que revisen ya que en jellyfin no necesite partir la pelicula. Gracias

Gracias. Solo pasa con  peliculas que duran mas de 2hrs. 

No importa que dure 90min y su tamaño sea de 15gn como 4k 

Pero que dure 3hrs no lo soorta si midiendo 3gb

bcm00re

For the record, I saw this issue again late in this past NFL season.  I could usually get around it by using HandBrake to re-encode it -- but one time that didn't even work (and I tried several times).

12 minutes ago, bcm00re said:

For the record, I saw this issue again late in this past NFL season.  I could usually get around it by using HandBrake to re-encode it -- but one time that didn't even work (and I tried several times).

Instead of re-encoding you could also try this: 

Split it into 2, 4 or 8 parts (without re-encoding) and check whether the smaller parts would play where the complete file has failed to play.

bcm00re
27 minutes ago, softworkz said:

Instead of re-encoding you could also try this: 

Split it into 2, 4 or 8 parts (without re-encoding) and check whether the smaller parts would play where the complete file has failed to play.

Is there any easy way in Emby to do that?

13 minutes ago, bcm00re said:

Is there any easy way in Emby to do that?

Actually, we need just one half to test and not care about the other.

On Windows you could do something like:

FSUTIL file seteof <filename> <truncated size>