New Medias Interface - Pause button gone ?

vaise

vaise

Hi,

Im obviously missing something.  Whole family complained to me that the pause no longer pauses, and the screen has shrunk.

Only xbox360 extenders are used.

I updated and left for work and did not expect all this when I got home.

I have read the forum stuff, and can see how to increase the screen size (not tried yet).

I want to give the new interface a go - but I cant pause.....  I have read what I can - just cant find it.

Can someone point me in the right direction.

Kids and wife press the pause button, and they get the slider thingy at the bottom but no pause.  I cant find how to pause it.

Seems more freezing too.

We have 7 xbox360 extenders in the house.  

Personally, I have had no complaints in the player functionality that was there.

You press play, it plays, press skip, it skips 30 seconds, faster [ressing and faster skipping, whiz through ad's etc great, press pause - it pauses, press stop, then press start and it resumes where it was stopped from, if I need a fast skip to a point, type in the number of minutes and then play and it goes that many minutes.  I have 5 harmony remotes, and I sort of want the pause to pause etc etc.

Any ideas ?

steelman1991

I don't know why the behaviour has changed, or whether its an extender issue, don't use them. You will probably have to wait on ebr to chime in on that.

But if you don't want to use, or are happy with the original interface, then it can be disabled from settings. The new one is purely optional.

EDIT - vaise

I just tried pressing pause, using a Harmony 600 and it reacts as expected (calls up the overlay but pauses the media). Now as I said earlier I don't use extenders, therefore I would have to assume its an issue with them and the new interface.

Edited by steelman1991

Nothing has changed for pause.  Works on both a pause and a space bar press.

What command is actually being sent to your 360 when you hit pause?

Macburp

Hello. I've just updated to 184 and now I can't get pause to work on my extender. I'm using a standard MCE remote, and have tried using the pause button and multiple presses of the play button - nothing works.

Will try 185

Hello. I've just updated to 184 and now I can't get pause to work on my extender. I'm using a standard MCE remote, and have tried using the pause button and multiple presses of the play button - nothing works.

Will try 185

Very interesting.  I wonder if maybe the extender is looking for a Ctl-P for pause...

Macburp

Yep - I think that's what it is.  Try 186.

Is 186 beta or dev?

Edit: its beta! Updating now....

Edited by Macburp

Macburp

Ok, so now i can pause videos again.

However, chapter seek doesn't work, and i can't bring up a number to seek the video to. 30 second skip works well.

However, chapter seek doesn't work, and i can't bring up a number to seek the video to. 30 second skip works well.

Can you be more specific?  What about chapter seek doesn't work?  And what do you mean you can't "bring up a number to seek the video to"?

Did you re-read the usage guide after the changes to this functionality?

Macburp

Yes, I did re-read the guide.

Direct Seek

By punching in a number and hitting the 'Play' button on your remote (or ctl-P) you can cause the current item to seek to that exact position

I cannot punch in the number I want. Under the old interface, an 'MCE-like' box comes up with the number you're punching in. Nothing like that is happening for me with the new interface. Basically, direct seek does not work.

Chapter Access

By using the channel up and down buttons on your remote, you can navigate the seekbar/timeline between chapter points. 

Pressing the up or down arrow brings up the overlay, but nothing else happens. If I continue to press the up or down arrow the overlay should scroll through the chapter marks? This doesn't happen for me. FF/RW buttons also do not work (although I expected that).

Number entry works for me. Can anyone else confirm?

Chapter skipping is accomplished with the channel up down buttons as explained in the guide.

Yogi

Number entry is working here,also chapter skipping is working fine and also the ff/rew is working.Good stuff ebr.

vaise

I have also updated to 186 and now the pause button is working well.  There is obviously different fixes needed for extender and non extender users.  I ONLY use extenders as my pc is in the garage and no TV in there.  I have massively invested in xbox36 as extenders, buying a new one when they went under $150 bucks, and they serve us very well - all content is delivered to all rooms in this way, 6 tuners in the garage PC system, iceTV there for FTA TV recording, Media Centre Master for auto torrent downloading, and various DVD rips to the same system. 

I have the same issue as macburp on his extender also - you cant any longer enter the number of minutes and press play to go to that point - this is MCE standard functionality and more use (at least for us) than the chapter forwarding function the new player provides (channel up, and enter).  

With regards to the chapter forwarding, I use harmony remotes in each room and the enter button is very small and normally never ever used.  I have to press channel up over and over, the slider moves to the right, then I have to press enter.  As I said, the enter on the harmony is very small (ok in between the direction buttons).

I think this minute jump facility is broken on the extenders - same as the pause was.  If this comes back, I would use that still, rather than the channelup function.

Thanks.

I don't know what I can do differently with the number entry on extenders. If it isn't working, then it must be looking for different keys than the PC is.

You can always disable the new interface and be exactly where you were with the previous version.

vaise

OK.  That's a pity.  You very quickly fixed up the pause button for the extenders, I thought the number thing would be a simple fix also.  My system is too much entwined in extenders.  I will discuss with the family, see if they are ok with the chapters and ok button to replace the skip to.....  I hope extender users are not too much forgotten on the MB3 enhancements as I would imagine there are a number of us out there.

If someone can figure out what the extender is looking for with the numbers I may be able to fix it. I no longer have one.

techywarrior

I hope extender users are not too much forgotten on the MB3 enhancements as I would imagine there are a number of us out there.

I don't think extender users are being forgotten at all. Since extenders are a part of the WMC ecosystem they are being supported by MBC in the same way. The new player overlay is something that ebr has made optional. So if it doesn't work on an extender, or you simply don't like it or you prefer the old player for whatever reason you are can simply disable it.

Ebr has been trying to address all the issues (and because of the limitations in how he must do this it has created side effects like the under/over scan issue). I'm pretty confident that many of the issues can be resolved be ebr. But if it can't, or if you simply don't like the button combinations or any other reason, just remember you always have the option to use the default player.

Sorry, I think I may have ended up diverging from my original intent. I don't mean for people to not list issues they have with the new player (especially on extenders) as ebr already has fixed some of them. But to realize that no one is being forgotten. MBC still works on extenders, the original WMC player is still there to be used. Ultimately, if you don't want or can't use the new player there is nothing different from before. It's just the same as if ebr didn't create it to begin with.

vaise

I hope you don't think I was having a go in some way at the amazing work being done on this product, that was not my intention at all.  This is all really great stuff.

No worries. I'll do my best but extenders are challenging lot of the time.

It may take a release cycle or two to get it all figured out.

techywarrior

I hope you don't think I was having a go in some way at the amazing work being done on this product, that was not my intention at all.  This is all really great stuff.

No, sorry. I think my comment comes off way harsher then I meant it to be.

I'll try again :)

Just wanted to reaffirm to people that extenders aren't being forgotten or ignored. The extender concept was a really good idea (and you can sort of see how the concept evolved into a lot of the server/client media devices/programs out now). But it's not a perfect system. It relies on RDP and special Windows users with limited rights. Due to the limitations in both WMC and the way extenders work, some things may not work correctly or be possible. But worst case you always have the default to fall back to.

I am pretty sure that ebr will be able to overcome most of the current extender issues but this may come up again as he is trying to add new functionality that doesn't natively exist in WMC.

... if I still come off mean then perhaps the solution is not to post while watching TV :)

Macburp

Number entry works for me. Can anyone else confirm?

Chapter skipping is accomplished with the channel up down buttons as explained in the guide.

Chapter skipping did work for me on the earlier version (183) - maybe this would provide a clue?

techywarrior

The button used for chapter skipping changed between the last two beta builds. It used to be the chapter skip button on a remote but now it is channel up.

Are you using the new buttons? If so it could be that the extender isn't passing the same key combo for channel up as expected but that would seem strange.

Ebr, I'll try do some tests on my extender tomorrow and see what sort of results I get... Need to hook it back up after I just got my new htpc machine built last weekend.

vaise

I can confirm chapter skipping is working on extenders on latest release, channel up/down and press enter button works.  The harmony remote's enter button is really small though for those using those - the play button would be better.  Being able to enter a number of minutes and press play on an extender (as per normal MCE functionality) in addition is all it needs on the extender.  No rush though - the leaps and bounds taken on this software is amazing.

The select button is used for selecting everything in MBC.  How do you navigate the interface if you don't use it?