Linux to Linux migration issue

Dan_Austin

Dan_Austin

I was running on an older Centos platform using docker.  It was time to replace the server,

so I built a new Centos 8 system.  Moving most services to the new server went faster

and smoother than I expected, so I dove right into emby.

I copied the /var/lib/emby-server directory to the new server and installed the same revision,

4.4.0.6.  During the install there was an warning about the just copied programdata directory

being missing.  I copied it to the 'new' location of /var/lib/emby.

Some settings are preserved.  My liveTV settings and premier key are intact.  All of the libraries

are MIA in the dashboard, but are thankfully intact on the filesystem.  The media library paths

were not changed.

AND I just had a hunch and tried it.  I moved all data back to emby-server, update the path

to the programdata and everything is back.

I think I recall that not just the media paths mattered, but perhaps someone can share what

about the location of the database files matters, given that the path to them has been provided.

Hi, at this point for a fresh install that shouldn't matter and you should be able to move the database around as much as you like.

But for a database created by older versions of the software, the portability aspect had not been perfected yet and there could be issues with it.

mastrmind11

wait, if you're using docker, just copy the entire /config dir and sub dirs to the new box and point your emby container to that.  everything should be self contained under /config, which is one of the main benefits of docker.

BAlGaInTl

wait, if you're using docker, just copy the entire /config dir and sub dirs to the new box and point your emby container to that.  everything should be self contained under /config, which is one of the main benefits of docker.

yup.  As long as you connect it to the new docker with the same name as before and all the permissions are good, there shouldn't be an issue.

I love Docker.

• Like 1

Dan_Austin

I like docker quite a bit as well, but wanted to start using hardware acceleration, and the extra

steps with docker were not worth it to me.  The only reason I was running on docker is it allowed

me to keep using the old Centos 6 server.  Since it was time to build a new box, going native

made the most sense.  I may go back if I find the upgrade process using dnf/yum/rpm cumbersome.

Perhaps I moved too much?  I copied the cache, config, data and metadata directories to the new

programdata location.  I did this multiple times, and each time most of my settings would be correct,

but no libraries would be found.  I say most as I did not verify every single setting, but my premiere key

and live TV settings, as well as network whitelist were correct.  Since I know how to deal with it going

forward, I am not too concerned.

To recap- 

Both the docker and rpm versions were 4.4.0.6

The same config/cache/data/metadata folders and contents were in each programdata path

/var/lib/emby-server   (Worked, same as the docker)

/var/lib/emby              (semi worked.  Settings were maintained, but all libraries missing)

The only change between the working and not working status was setting the programdata

path in /etc/emby-server.config

HI, it's because of what I said in post #2. To me it sounds like you have it under control and you should be fine now.