Questions about conversion

carpediem

carpediem

HNY to all. I am currently testing the idea of migrating my Emby setup to a Docker container from a Windows standalone box. I am using the current 4.3.1 release for docker. On Windows, I have been running a python post processing script after LiveTV recordings to handle conversion to mkv, comskip chapter marking and closed caption extraction.

* While testing the docker setup, I have been playing with the built in conversion feature for the first time and I must say great job [emoji106]. I really like the ability to customize the quality of the final file, hevc etc. I have a few questions though:

* I know that I can create a conversion job by right clicking on my recordings folder and selecting to run that job immediately. My expectation is that if I check the “Automatically convert new content” option, that all new livetv recordings would be converted based on the settings I choose here. Is that not the case?

So far, the conversion job runs when manually initiated but does not seem to pick up any new recordings that are added to the folder later on. Is this the expected behavior or am I just being impatient? I checked about 30 mins after the recordings ended and nothing had happened as yet.

* How does the conversion process handle closed captions? Are there any plans for users to have conversions options to strip out closed captions to an srt file, possibly with similar behavior to ccextractor?

I am using a Roku Ultra and none of closed captions are displayed. I honestly have not yet had a chance to run the converted files against vlc to see if CC is maintained. For all I know this may just be the hardware copyback issue @ picked up on with MPV.

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/69337-how-to-show-closed-captioning/page-2

* Are there plans for conversion options to restrict source files to a specific source file format? For example, only running conversion against a .ts file. While trying to see the video quality results at different Mbps, I scheduled multiple jobs against the same recordings folder. This resulted in converted mkv files being used as the source files for additional conversion jobs, thus resulting in poorer overall video quality results.

* Last one is not a question. When possible, it would be great to update the wiki to provide more information about the conversion and download options available via the dashboard. It took me awhile muddling through the forum to see how to set up a conversion job. I think the information in @luke’s first post with pics that is provided here will be an excellent starting point for someone new and can help someone else down the road:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/58172-33120-convert-media/

* I know that I can create a conversion job by right clicking on my recordings folder and selecting to run that job immediately. My expectation is that if I check the “Automatically convert new content” option, that all new livetv recordings would be converted based on the settings I choose here. Is that not the case?

Yes that is true.

* How does the conversion process handle closed captions? Are there any plans for users to have conversions options to strip out closed captions to an srt file, possibly with similar behavior to ccextractor?

They're currently not supported so they will be lost, but support is planned for the future.

* Are there plans for conversion options to restrict source files to a specific source file format? For example, only running conversion against a .ts file. While trying to see the video quality results at different Mbps, I scheduled multiple jobs against the same recordings folder. This resulted in converted mkv files being used as the source files for additional conversion jobs, thus resulting in poorer overall video quality results.

The way it currently works is that any source files already matching the target criteria will not be converted.

carpediem

@@Luke, thanks for your responses to these questions. They’ve certainly helped with my understanding of how conversion works. I may have to still do some postprocessing with scripts for now until subtitle extraction is built in. Thanks for the hard work you do.