Accessing Shield Server from Shield App w/o Internet

piecesofme

piecesofme

Hello,

I’m trying to come up with a setup that will easily allow me to use Emby on my Shield TV (server) while traveling with two portable HDDs attached that house the media locally. I was told that this should be feasible. 

Often when we travel we’re in hotels w/ little to no real internet capability. Add to that everyone in each room bringing their own streaming devices and you’re in for utter frustration. So, we started bringing our own media as a backup for those times when the internet is unusable. I’ve setup the Emby server on the Shield in advance, had it go ahead and correctly pull/identify all the metadata and images and fixed what needed to be. So, everything looks nice before we leave and it shouldn’t have to pull anything from the internet at this point. (Is there any setting I should choose to make sure this works correctly? Do I need to have it pull all images now as one option in the settings mentions?)

What I’m not sure about is, when we’re at home, I know what my Shield TV IP address is and the IP stays the same as it’s setup in my router statically. But I’m not sure how to connect to the Emby server on the Shield w/o being connected via the internet. Will the Emby app simply check the Emby server when booting up to see if it’s active on the device and give me that option in the servers? Or will it only do so if it has an active IP address? If this is the case, what options would there be for me to get this to work properly? Once again, just to reiterate, all media will be housed locally on two HDDs connected directly to the Shield so that it shouldn’t need internet to serve those up.

Thanks so much in advance! Looking forward to figuring this out with your help. :)

Hi, this is a little bit tricky but yes you do need some kind of local network to do this. There was a recent topic about this with some tips and workarounds that i can't seem to find. It must not have been posted in the server Shield section.

piecesofme

Hi, this is a little bit tricky but yes you do need some kind of local network to do this. There was a recent topic about this with some tips and workarounds that i can't seem to find. It must not have been posted in the server Shield section.

OK, so there’s no way to do this completely offline? I asked about this two months ago or so and was told that it’s possible to use Emby offline like this as long as all metadata was pulled beforehand. Sounds like this isn’t the case now?

If I create some sort of local network to allow Emby to find the server, how much will it being using it for serving up the media? I might be able to get a travel router for Emby to find the server but I don’t want to have to rely on slow internet or using my phone data connection to serve up all the media. It would be doable for finding the server just not for pulling all the media, if that makes sense. 

Well it shouldn't use any remote data. You don't need an actual internet connection, just a local network between the two devices is fine.

piecesofme

Well it shouldn't use any remote data. You don't need an actual internet connection, just a local network between the two devices is fine.

OK, that helps some. :)

Just out of curiosity, what two devices are you referring to? It’s only the Shield which would be running both the Server and the App/Client - so only one device with media connected directly. 

Sorry, I meant the two apps on the same device. So yes, a router without any internet connection on it would be fine.

OK, so there’s no way to do this completely offline? I asked about this two months ago or so and was told that it’s possible to use Emby offline like this as long as all metadata was pulled beforehand. Sounds like this isn’t the case now?

In your case, this isn't an Emby issue - it is the fact that you are trying to use a single device that is designed to be network attached but with no network attached.  When the device doesn't have a network attached, it basically makes all network communications unavailable - and Emby needs the network to talk to the server - even though it is on the same device.

Does that make sense?