Recording IPTV?

lightsout

lightsout

I tested out an IPTV service, worked really well. But the record button wasn't there on those channels.

I didn't seem too have guide data so I don't know if that plays into it?

Sammy

I believe that you need an epg to record.

The iptv provider should have one, usually only 24 hours. You can use xTeVe to parse the lineup and generate a local xmltv at which you can point Emby to use for the m3u tuner associated with the iptv service.

I found iptv a PITA not worth the effort so I quit using it.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Edited by Sammy

Hi.  Yes, you currently need guide data to record live TV.  Manual recording is something we are looking at for the future.

• Like 1

lightsout

I believe that you need an epg to record.

The iptv provider should have one, usually only 24 hours. You can use xTeVe to parse the lineup and generate a local xmltv at which you can point Emby to use for the m3u tuner associated with the iptv service.

I found iptv a PITA not worth the effort so I quit using it.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Ok thanks guys, I was really just checking it out, kind of done with all the piracy stuff, but man it had everything and the quality looked like my Spectrum cable .

I'll stick with what I have.

• 7 months later...
Pseudomax

Hi

I must say... thumbs up to xTeVe ... it certainly helps with managing the M3U file!

I do have a question though (which feel free to point me to the xTeVe support on) ... but if I enable 'buffer' using the xTeVe service, and use 'split tunneling' with my VPN to secure the xTeVe service then this should actually secure my IPTV connection? If I have read the documentation correctly it seems that although Emby tries to push for direct connections with the media source meaning that making emby connect through a VPN does not necessarily secure IPTV sources from players ... the xTeVe buffer would do this as it provides the video stream to emby and only it makes the connection to the IPTV source?

I would also like to say that it would be great to get some channel management into Live TV on Emby ... is there a timeline? I am very much an Emby supporter (I have been a Lifetime Emby Premiere subscriber for many years now) ... but this feature has been a let down compared to all the other features Emby has to offer!

Thanks

Hi,

It's already been mentioned that channel management is coming with our next Live TV release that's been talked about a bit already.

Yes what you have in mind should theoretically work concerning split tunnel and xTeVe buffer but will add more delay.  What I would do is try this in steps.

For example turn on the buffer in xTeVe (without VPN) and get this working in Emby.  Then if this works OK and doesn't cause an issue move to the next step adding the VPN in with the split tunnelling.

I've helped a couple of people with this type of setup and it's hit and miss depending on provider. However for the one this didn't work with we setup and used NextPVR just to handle the IPTV and fed that to Emby.  NextPVR was then "split tunnelled" and worked just fine.

So experiment a bit and you should be able to get this to work with your IPTV running through VPN but the rest of Emby not going through the VPN.

Another way (possible) is if your router supports VPN.  Often you can setup VPN on the router but then use routing or destination to determine if it goes out the VPN or not.  I prefer this approach myself if possible as it lends itself to allowing VPN for the whole network controlled in one place and supports devices that can't run a local VPN client.

Pseudomax
27 minutes ago, cayars said:

Hi,

It's already been mentioned that channel management is coming with our next Live TV release that's been talked about a bit already.

Yes what you have in mind should theoretically work concerning split tunnel and xTeVe buffer but will add more delay.  What I would do is try this in steps.

For example turn on the buffer in xTeVe (without VPN) and get this working in Emby.  Then if this works OK and doesn't cause an issue move to the next step adding the VPN in with the split tunnelling.

I've helped a couple of people with this type of setup and it's hit and miss depending on provider. However for the one this didn't work with we setup and used NextPVR just to handle the IPTV and fed that to Emby.  NextPVR was then "split tunnelled" and worked just fine.

So experiment a bit and you should be able to get this to work with your IPTV running through VPN but the rest of Emby not going through the VPN.

Another way (possible) is if your router supports VPN.  Often you can setup VPN on the router but then use routing or destination to determine if it goes out the VPN or not.  I prefer this approach myself if possible as it lends itself to allowing VPN for the whole network controlled in one place and supports devices that can't run a local VPN client.

Thanks for the reply ... and yes your use of NextPVR is how I used to feed Kodi a few years back.

I do have xTeVe working without a problem at the moment, although I have not tried the split tunnelling yet. The reason I don't want to use the Router option is that I either have to specify an entire IP address on the LAN or separate ports. If IPTV was on known ports then this would be ideal ... but from what I understand there are no standards and as such even if I found the relevant ports for my provider ... they may change without any notice.

However, it is good to know that my understanding of xTeVe should work, and if this does not then I can use NextPVR as a backup. Can you point me to the thread where you helped the others in case I get stuck?

Also good to hear that Live TV is to be updated ... are you able to give any sense of how close this is ... happy to work in 6 months blocks!!

No thread as this was done in combination of PM and remote help.

You seem to have a firm understanding of what to do and I don't think you'll have a problem with setup or deployment at all!  Feel free to PM me or ask in a thread if needed for any specific help however!

Carlo

• Like 1

EODCrafter

@PseudomaxWith Buffer xTeVe Plays the Stream, so VPN needs to be on xTeVe...Without Buffer URL is sent straight to Emby unchanged, so VPN needs to be on Emby.