E4k & Embycon - Video file plays as an audio file in Kodi

feerlessleadr

feerlessleadr

Hi - Not sure if this is an emby issue or a kodi issue, so I figured I would start here. 

I have a couple youtube videos I backed up for my daughter using youtube-dl that when played through kodi on my shield (either E4K or embycon), kodi treats it like an audio file rather than a video (ie no video is played, sound plays fine, discart is shown, and audio visualization is shown). These videos play fine through embycon on my odroid-N2, as well as through VLC on my server, and through the emby web interface on another windows machine.

Here is a log of me playing 'Into the Unknown' through both E4k & embycon on my shield where only the audio is played:

https://paste.ubuntu.com/p/xDV97BZbPH/

I've tried creating a fresh kodi install on the shield, and I get the same results. 

Any insight/help would be greatly appreciated - thanks!

Here is the media info as reported by Emby:

Media Info
Video
Title1080p AV1
CodecAV1
ProfileMain
Level8
Resolution1920x1080
Aspect ratio16:9
AnamorphicNo
InterlacedNo
Framerate23.976
Bitrate978 kbps
Color primariesbt709
Color spacebt709
Color transferbt709
Pixel formatyuv420p
Ref frames1
Containermkv
Path\\192.168.1.16\Harper Youtube\Idina Menzel, AURORA - Into the Unknown (From 'Frozen 2').mkv
Size24 MB

Audio 
TitleEnglish OPUS stereo (Default) 
LanguageEnglish 
CodecOPUS 
Layoutstereo 
Channels2 ch 
Sample rate48,000 Hz 
DefaultYes
Edited by feerlessleadr

sualfred

What happens if you back out to the Kodi GUI and back to the player?

There is an issue since Leia (mostly in PVR) where the first video information pieces aren't sent fast enough and Kodi is interpreting the media as audio. By backing out and back to the player without stopping the playback it was "fixed".

feerlessleadr

I've actually accidentally tried that, since on my remote I have my back button mapped to stop playback on fullscreeen video, bit since this is audio, it just backs out. In order for me to stop playback, I have to back out all the way to the main screen, then press back again to get to the playback screen to bring up the osd to stop playback.

No change when I do that unfortunately.

Could it be a codec issue? I just realized the 2 videos that I know are giving me problems are av1, while the ones that work are mostly vp9.

Seems weird though that the shield couldn't play something that the N2 and windows could however.

feerlessleadr

huh, I do believe you are correct. I'll have to redownload the videos using VP9 I guess then. 

Thanks

feerlessleadr

Just to close the loop on this, the codec was the problem. Re-downloaded the videos using the vp9 codec, and they now play perfectly