Which Sub Providers are best for Movies / TV

Tolerant

Tolerant

I don't understand why I seem to be the one person who has issues.

Deleting subs almost never works, even If I manually remove them as soon as I play the movie they return and are incorrect which is why I tried to remove them.

Now I am testing using OpenSubs and Addicted7 as 2nd choice, still not having much luck in matching the correct ones. I have had to resort to editing files and saving them as blank .srt files just to stop that.

Additionally the choice to see/not see subs when I start watching something does not seem to be respected as they always start now.

Some movies end up with random TV show subs as well instead of anything even remotely related to the content. 

I really wish I knew what was going on so I could get it fixed, if possible. I understand things will never be perfect, but a little less stress on every piece of content added would be wonderful.

Q-Droid

If you have a scheduled task to download subtitles then delete/disable it and let the initial library/metadata scan take care of the subtitles when you add content. If any are missing then try a manual Edit Subtitles search.

I have found that sometimes I can't delete the last subtitles file (or if only one) from the Emby UI. But I am able to replace it just by searching and downloading another one in the same UI. This isn't something I've tried recently so it might have been fixed in one of the last two stable releases.

As things are right now the Addic7ed plug-in is not working for TV shows and only works for some movies. So if you're using this plug-in it's best to put it last in the priority list. The funny thing is many of the SRT files I get from OpenSubtitles were created for or by Addic7ed members.

The subtitles startup is in the user profile options

Tolerant

The deleting subs and subsequent redownloading has been resolved for the next release.

Awesome, that is very positive news! Just another thought, I notice when I add a sub to content that had none listed, I see the page refresh and the sub is available without going back to the "home" page, and reloading the content. But if I remove one, it stays listed and there is no page refresh.

Edit: Just saw another user remove a sub (two were shown, maybe thats why?).. and the page refreshed and only one was listed.  That might be something worth checking into.

Edited by Tolerant

Tolerant

If you have a scheduled task to download subtitles then delete/disable it and let the initial library/metadata scan take care of the subtitles when you add content. If any are missing then try a manual Edit Subtitles search.

I have found that sometimes I can't delete the last subtitles file (or if only one) from the Emby UI. But I am able to replace it just by searching and downloading another one in the same UI. This isn't something I've tried recently so it might have been fixed in one of the last two stable releases.

As things are right now the Addic7ed plug-in is not working for TV shows and only works for some movies. So if you're using this plug-in it's best to put it last in the priority list. The funny thing is many of the SRT files I get from OpenSubtitles were created for or by Addic7ed members.

The subtitles startup is in the user profile options

Ok, event deleted.

Yep, also noticed the "single sub shown "issue"" with removal etc.

What is the best source for "current" Tv episodes subs?

Yep, Edited my prefs already but for some reason It just did not seem to respect it. Since, I have removed all 4 sub plugins I was using and trying just OpenSub and Addicted until I can get some results that make sense.

Offtopic: Any plans for a YTS Subtitle source for movies? That would resolve 99% of my issues I think.

Edited by Tolerant

Q-Droid

What is the best source for "current" Tv episodes subs?

I don't know about the best and there's usually some delay for "current" TV episodes. I'm only using OpenSubtitles and TheSubDB which meet most of my needs. Still waiting for the Addic7ed API and the new plug-in to be ready. Someone suggested Bazarr but I've never used it.

Tolerant

Movie Content example:  Premature .. (yts).   Wrong subs.  

Sub Provider 1)  OpenSubs   2) Addic7ed

Event to get subs removed, MCM subs (not enabled).

And they are ..wrong.  So .. wth?

• 1 year later...
GrimReaper
9 minutes ago, horstepipe said:

I only want my users to download subtitles on demand. How can I enable hash matching for this purpose with open subtitles?

Don't think you can restrict, when manually downloading all will be listed with hash-matches flagged and usually on top of the list. 

• Thanks 1

horstepipe

So from what I understand for now I can allow users to delete subtitles. But wouldn’t it be smarter to add an option to only keep the last subtitle a user downloads?

d.g if a user downloads 3 subtitles as the first two do not match the frame rate but the third does, Emby should automatically delete the first two?

GrimReaper
2 minutes ago, horstepipe said:

Okay at least they’re on top? How does that flag look like, I think I didn’t see it yet.

White letters on light-grey background. 😉

JK, it's a textual flag, hard to miss. You likely didn't see it yet as there were no hash-matches for those items.

IMHO this is a good solution, as it allows you to DL other subtitles when no hash-match and then use Offset feature. 

GrimReaper
19 minutes ago, horstepipe said:

So from what I understand for now I can allow users to delete subtitles. But wouldn’t it be smarter to add an option to only keep the last subtitle a user downloads?

d.g if a user downloads 3 subtitles as the first two do not match the frame rate but the third does, Emby should automatically delete the first two?

AFAIK you can only have one sub per language per sub type (using same ISO-code schema), each subsequent download overwrites previous one, nothing to delete. 

Edited by GrimReaper
Append
  • Thanks 1