no DTS passthrough

Tupsi
Go to solution Solved by ebr,

I was a bit confused today when I saw that emby transcodes my DTS streams and the reason is "device does not support it", which of course is not true, my receiver can playback fine anything from pcm up to the newest viz in Dolby Atmos and vice versa from the DTS side of things.

So when I play back from my blu-ray setup something with DTS-HD, everything is fine and my receiver reports getting DTS Master with 7.1 channels. Now if I rip that from the disk into an .mkv container and copy it over to the emby server the system now things that the same receiver is unable to playback that audio stream.

ok, before you answer, I read a lot here that the chain all has to support the audio which seems fine at first, but with that logic, I should not be able to playback my files where I have atmos sounds encoded with this emby setup (as my old fire tv does not support atmos), but still my receiver lights up the Atmos logo and the info says it gets the atmos stream fine.

Hi there, how have you configured your system audio settings as well as audio settings within the app?

emby app has audio on auto if that's what you mean with settings (the german in there is driving my crazy btw).

My Denon receiver does not have anything special to setup, it just uses what it gets from the hdmi input (where the firetv is plugged in).

• Solution

Hi.  Atmos is different as it is just metadata on top of the stream whereas DTS is an entirely different audio format.  The device running the app, the connection and the target all have to support DTS for that to work.

• Like 2