no dialogue but background audio plays fine

ieblj01

OPUS 5.1 audio exhibits an odd issue.  I get all the audio except dialogue.  So you hear sirens, gun shots, birds, etc., but there is no dialogue to be heard when people are speaking.  It is not like all the audio goes away when someone is talking, you still hear all the background audio.  It is rather humorous actually to watch a show like that. Playback correction resolves the issue.

The problem is only seen with AFTV client.  Smartphone client, web app, and theater all play the audio perfectly.

I did re-encode one file to use AAC 5.1 for Audio and that resolved the issue, but this is a TV show.   Unless anyone else has a suggestion, I have to re-encode 60+ files so that my main playback device works as it should (I don't want to have to enable playback correction every time I watch an episode).

Anyone else run into this?  Here is the original file information from the web app for the affected show:

post-303015-0-11981800-1577748399_thumb.png

Edited by ieblj01

Deathsquirrel

How many speakers are you playing back through?  If you bitstream 5.1 channels to 2.0 speakers you lose the center channel, both rear channels, and the sub.  Since ialog is typically mixed to the center channel, if you don't downmix to stereo you just won't hear the dialog.

• Like 1

Hi.  Please tell us exactly what hardware (TV, receiver, etc.) is involved and how it is connected.

Thanks.

Currently it is all coming through just the TV speakers.  We recently moved and I don't have the surround sound setup yet.  I have to buy all new speakers since the last house was all architectural speakers. 

I don't have any issues playing any other 5.1 or 7.1 files using other audio codecs (I have 100s of movies with full surround sound). 

I re-encoded it as AAC 5.1 yesterday (edited previous post to reflect 5.1 as I didn't specifically call that out before and I should have) and it plays fine with no audio issues (file info attached).

As a test, I connected an old sound bar today I had using the optical out from the TV and the OPUS encoded files do play audio correctly with that.  I am going to call this resolved for now and chalk this up to something unique to the OPUS codec and this physical setup.

Setups: 

Broken:  AFTV > HDMI to LG HDTV, TV speakers for sound

Working:  AFTV > HDMI to LG HDTV > TV optical out to LG sound bar

post-303015-0-33067900-1577804303_thumb.png

YES, sorry for my enthusiasm that you have a problem, but it is basicaly the same as I already described in https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/71360-playing-back-opus-5171-does-not-work-center-channel-is-missing/ it seems I am no longer alone with this kind of problem.

I still believe that the Fire TV Emby App has a bug in how the channel gets decoded and put through to the receiver if you have 5.1 or 7.1 opus audio.

• 1 month later...

YES, sorry for my enthusiasm that you have a problem, but it is basicaly the same as I already described in https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/71360-playing-back-opus-5171-does-not-work-center-channel-is-missing/ it seems I am no longer alone with this kind of problem.

I still believe that the Fire TV Emby App has a bug in how the channel gets decoded and put through to the receiver if you have 5.1 or 7.1 opus audio.

I am reopening this one and I too am looking to join the beta AFTV process.  OPUS on AFTV is definitely jacked.