Emby sees Music files but does not see Movie or TV files

rpope1969

rpope1969

I just recently bought and set up a synology DS218+ NAS. I set the device up and copied all of my media files from my other EMBY server. I then followed the instructions to install Emby on the NAS and created the main account, again per instructions. After all that was done I added the libraries ( Movies, Music and TV shows) using the correct choices when adding the libraries. Now for my issues. My new emby server will only see, show and play the music files. It shows the movie and TV libraries but says there is nothing in them. When I choose folder view ( the top menu in each library) I can see each of the folders for the Movies and TV shows but when I click on any folder it shows empty. One thing I attempted was to copy a movie from its folder and place it directly into the Movies folder and emby still does not see it. When I was copying all the files I did it en mass from a working emby server. So I do not understand why emby can see the music library but not the Movies and TV libraries. Any assistance would be very much appreciated. Please let me know what other information I need to provide. Thank you

rpope1969

In each library I just added their parent library.No sub folders. Example: I added just the Movies parent library ( /volume1/EmbyMedia/Movies) and did not add any of the movie folders below that. In the TV library I did just the parent( /volume1/EmbyMedia/TV) and nothing below that and the same with Music. I thought all I needed to do was just add the parent directory and then emby would find all the sub folders like it did with the Music parent directory. I hope I didn't just make things more confusing. If you need screen shots I can provide those as well. Just please let me know what information I need to leave out. Sidenote: In attempting to gather more information I noticed that when I added the music directory I accidentally just added /volume1/EmbyMedia and emby found the music folder and all of its sub folders. Thank you for helping me.

Have you checked the permissions of your Movie and TV folders? Often times this ends up being the problem where Emby Server does not have read permissions.

rpope1969

Hello Luke,

Thank you for responding. I have checked the  permissions and the emby server is owner and has read write. And what confuses me more is why is only the music files accessed and not the TV and movies. They all have the same permissions. I tried something last night to see if that changed anything. I created another folder named it movies1 and gave the Emby server ownership and full rights to it. I then copied 1 movie over to it, with the same rights as the movies1 folder and added that as a library. I then went into Emby and tried to view that movie and it was blank and when I chose folders I could see the folder named after the movie but when I went into the folder it was empty. I hope this helps give you some ideas. Thanks again for helping me.

rpope1969

Hello Luke,

I am not sure what happened but things are now working. I decided to uninstall and reinstall the emby app from the server and it started working. Thank you for helping me.

rpope1969

Ohh.. And in response to your question Yes I did check all the permissions from top to bottom and made sure from the parent folder on down all had the same permissions and they all did. If I ever figure out what happened I will post an update here.