A Solution to eBooks - Use Image Viewer

Lighthammer

Lighthammer
Per request from Luke, I am breaking up the suggestions from this thread:

I'll add additional information for each topic as needed

A Solution to eBooks

eBooks has fallen into a void. Its been broken for YEARS now (Hell, I think its been broken for over 5 years now).

I floated a suggestion a long time ago that had some traction, but I'd like to see if we can look at tackling this one again.

My suggestion is pretty simple and probably highly doable with some scripts that already exist. 

While eBooks have been broken for a very long time now, a very similar feature that isn't is the image viewer.

My suggestion is to use some of the existing scripts that exist (a lot around the RAR formats) to unpack PDFs, CBRs and a few other easily manageable formats and place all the pages in a directory as jpgs/pngs.

This seems like a really strong way to fix this problem. While a bit better interface would needed for eBooks compared to the embed image viewer, this shouldn't be a hard feat to check out a few eBook readers (such as Calibre) and plan out the mission critical features.

Edited by Lighthammer
  • Like 2

Its been broken for YEARS now (Hell, I think its been broken for over 5 years now).

This isn't true. It's just incomplete.

Lighthammer

We simply haven't gotten that far yet.

Thats my point, its been years since it worked. 

That being said, since you've asked in other threads, this is one I think many people would prefer to be lower priority, but perhaps an update of when we might be able to expect it would be nice as well as some discussion of what features have been planned for it.

• 1 month later...
Dibbes

We never  had that, so "years since" is not accurate.

I thought I had that working with the Bookshelves plugin in 2013 or 2014 or so... pity that plugin isn't maintained anymore

Edited by Dibbes