Timed Access Library Access Automation / Parental Management

Lighthammer

Lighthammer
Per request from Luke, I am breaking up the suggestions from this thread:

I'll add additional information for each topic as needed

Timed Access Library Access Automation / Parental Management

This is another suggestion I've been floating for a while and goes in very closely with User Groups and Library/Collection Changes I've suggested above.

I would like to see the ability to have a Library only accessible for a certain amount of time.

Here's the Usecase:
- I have a few library's that are HIGHLY seasonal such as Halloween and Christmas.

- Based on which user group someone belongs to, I want to make that someone only has access to these Libraries during those respective season.

I'd envision this to be a pretty simple interface change

- Under User Groups (of course, feature to be made by suggestion) next to libraries, you'd have a function that allows you to pick when particular library's are available. 

I would also envision the work put into this to potentially also act as a parental lockout system that would allow certain libraries or collections to be available at certain times a day, certain days in a week or by temp password generated potentially by a authenticator such as Google Authenticator.

Related, I'd also envision the ability to claim a certain user group or user belongs to another user group or user so that parents could potentially have some moderation rights over said user or user group. 

• Like 1

By season we're talking a few times a year. Isn't it more practical for you to just click a few checkboxes every once in a while? I'm just wondering if this is what you really want us spending our resources on.

Lighthammer

By season we're talking a few times a year. Isn't it more practical for you to just click a few checkboxes every once in a while? I'm just wondering if this is what you really want us spending our resources on.

I've been doing this for years. It's much more of a pain to do and remember to do then you seem to make it out to be.

The problem is compounded by the fact we lack user groups (See my big request for 2020). 

Moreover, if I could just dump xml files from one profile to another (and more easily ID those profiles I want to rotate access to) then it would also be less of a pain.

As of now, its tedious process. 

I'd probably claim this to be the #2 thing I really want to see this year. Yes, its that high on what I'd really like to see.

Edited by Lighthammer