Remove Devices / Assign Devices

Lighthammer

Lighthammer
Per request from Luke, I am breaking up the suggestions from this thread:

I'll add additional information for each topic as needed

Remove Devices / Assign Devices

This goes along closely with User Groups too.

First off, I don't know who looks at their Devices Panel often, but it has a very bad habit of accumulating a TON of devices that could be highly considered once and done devices such as logging into Emby from a browser in private mode.

There's no simple way to remove all the mess that accumulates. The simpliest fix would be to import the multiselect feature from the Library Management features and allow us to select a ton of unused devices to remove them. 

However, while we are looking at this section of the interface, we really DO need some management tools here.

What I would like to see, in addition to the multi-select feature are the following:

- A default feature to auto remove the device after not being seen for 7 days.

- A feature to disable showing devices logged on from browsers in private mode.

- A feature to disable access Emby through browsers in private mode.

- Requirements that devices must be in a geographic location to login.

- A feature to disable the creation of new devices.

- The ability to assign a device to a group or user.

- This is to allow full control access to certain users while others may only have view access or no access to that device.

- The ability to disable access from certain devices (IE Browsers, Android Device or iPhone Devices).

• Like 1

The simpliest fix would be to import the multiselect feature from the Library Management features and allow us to select a ton of unused devices to remove them. 

Hi, yes this is planned for the future.

A feature to disable showing devices logged on from browsers in private mode.

This cannot be reliably detected. The browser vendors are doing everything they can to make this undetectable.

Requirements that devices must be in a geographic location to login.

This will require hooking into external services, and worst of all, when the locations are not correctly detected, we'll be the ones getting the troubleshooting. Considering that you can handle this with a reverse proxy, is this really what you want us spending our resources on?

Lighthammer

This will require hooking into external services, and worst of all, when the locations are not correctly detected, we'll be the ones getting the troubleshooting. Considering that you can handle this with a reverse proxy, is this really what you want us spending our resources on?

Like many things, this is something that I predict will become more important down the road.

Its probably valuable to toss it on the roadmap but with a very low priority.

That being said, I'm sure when you look into Android Geographical management, you'll find the resources are better then you'd expect. I cant claim the same for iOS though.

Right but it's the server that has to detect where clients are coming from, not the apps. You can't let apps report their own location otherwise that can be faked.

crusher11

I'm already running my server through NGINX and CloudFlare, and CloudFlare is handling my geoblocking. Zero reason it needs to be implemented directly in Emby.

• Like 1