Roku interface

Silentalero

Silentalero

I can see the issue with that. I guess the option would be nice (if its not to much of a headache), but thats minimal.

Would it be difficult to just open up the Horizontal menu and see if that looks better?

Also downloaded EMBY Beta, is there a list of features that are on there over the everyday Emby so I can see whats being tested?

Edited by Silentalero

I can see the issue with that. I guess the option would be nice (if its not to much of a headache), but thats minimal.

Would it be difficult to just open up the Horizontal menu and see if that looks better?

Sorry, I don't understand the question.  What horizontal menu?  We were talking about launching YouTube trailers...

Also downloaded EMBY Beta, is there a list of features that are on there over the everyday Emby so I can see whats being tested?

Roku Beta Release Notes

Silentalero

Sorry, I don't understand the question.  What horizontal menu?  We were talking about launching YouTube trailers...

Roku Beta Release Notes

Sorry. the purpose of this thread was about the visualization of emby in roku. (We only have vertical menu option).

Sorry. the purpose of this thread was about the visualization of emby in roku. (We only have vertical menu option).

Ah, okay - back on original topic ;).

Right now that presentation is kind of a legacy thing.  It was a fad back in the early days of XBox One but pretty much every OS and device out there (other than MS) has gone away from it to what we have now.

It is possible it could become an option sometime in the future but, right now, Theater is the only app in the system that has it and that is just because we didn't completely remove it when we re-designed its default interface.

Silentalero

Visually, i prefer that much more than the current vertical. Like i said in the beginning, it just seems very boring. A tall stack of endless rows of movie and tv. No highlights, it reminds me of opening explorer in windows and scrolling to click a file.

Given this is a media center hub, other visual options would be nice.

• Like 1

Visually, i prefer that much more than the current vertical. Like i said in the beginning, it just seems very boring. A tall stack of endless rows of movie and tv. No highlights, it reminds me of opening explorer in windows and scrolling to click a file.

Given this is a media center hub, other visual options would be nice.

No highlights? You can sort that entire grid to become any sort type/order you want, as well as throw filters on top of it to refine your results even more. The toolbar at the top of the grid allows you to adjust these to your whim. 

This is why the grid does not offer highlights here because it would be rude. We do not try to "guess" what you want to watch on the grid. It is there as an entire overview of what that folder/view contains and allows you to process it with any sort type/order/filters you desire.

We do offer a "suggestions" tab on Roku it just isn't obvious that is where you are. When you enter any library type that screen you land on with those colored "view tabs" at the top _is_ the suggestion screen. So you click your movies library on the homescreen. You land on the movie suggestions screen. Scroll down and see all the sections of it. It just isn't labeled that you are in the suggested view. It is merely implied.

A horizontal view is simply the same as the grid. It is just a horizontal grid rather than vertical. In as such it becomes harder to navigate because you can never reach the absolute edge of the left or right without tedious scrolling. So how would we present an alpha picker? Everything you do outside of scrolling would need to be up and down presses.

We have to work within the limitations of the Roku remote. We have to design in a way that minimizes your button presses. We must always be considerate of that fact. The vertical grid honestly provides the best environment for this.

It is possible in the future we can add something like this. But presently the focus is consistency and making all the apps similar, familiar, and consistent. Time changes everything though. So this can change. We listen to feedback. If feedback tells us something we listen. ^_~

Edited by speechles

No highlights? You can sort that entire grid to become any sort type/order you want, ...

He's talking about the home screen - not the grid.

Silent - It really sounds like you are asking more about the content of the rows than their actual presentation.  Since we are mostly designed as a server for people's personal media, we don't emphasize "suggestions" on the home screen as much as something like Netflix or Amazon (who are trying to "sell" you on watching something from their library).

It sounds like you are looking for more of this "suggestion" type interface on the home screen.  We do have Continue Watching and Next Up and then Latest for all your libraries as suggestions for what you are most likely to want to watch from your own library.

It is possible we can add more random or suggested type options for the home screen in the future as well.  There are already a couple of feature requests for things like this.

Thanks.

Silentalero

He's talking about the home screen - not the grid.

Silent - It really sounds like you are asking more about the content of the rows than their actual presentation.  Since we are mostly designed as a server for people's personal media, we don't emphasize "suggestions" on the home screen as much as something like Netflix or Amazon (who are trying to "sell" you on watching something from their library).

It sounds like you are looking for more of this "suggestion" type interface on the home screen.  We do have Continue Watching and Next Up and then Latest for all your libraries as suggestions for what you are most likely to want to watch from your own library.

It is possible we can add more random or suggested type options for the home screen in the future as well.  There are already a couple of feature requests for things like this.

Thanks.

Thank you, yes I am talking about the home screen, the grid is fine, I love the options of sorting with that.

So I guess its a mixed bag, yes its the content, but it is also the presentation. With the time we spend curating our libraries, its nice to have a media center that can present it with the appreciation of that time. Think of it like this, why does android spend a lot of time on their presentation, because its the first thing people see. If they just used a basic format, it would be called a blackberrry. This is why they give you theme's to personalize. I know the Horizontal says its not consistent, but to be honest, Id prefer that presentation over vertical. Thats one thing I did like about the option of both. Was to have the option. Different people prefer different formats. I also looked at some other Media centers and took out the flash behind it (gradients, menu icons ect) and realistically, they are all very similar in format, I guess its the polished edged and icons that do separate them. So maybe that's where it shows me the visual improvements (Also im a graphics and web designer, so I can appreciate a nice interface).

Although I understand you want to stay away from the "netflix" suggestion type, to be honest, with having 2k+ movies and tv shows and growing, and im sure others have more. Sometimes it is nice to have a movie I completely forgot about, show its face up front from time to time. Its not meant to sell me, its meant to remind me. That's why I mentioned, maybe an option to have it change weekly and choose random movies to suggest would be great. Again, merely a suggestion from somebody who utilizes the media center to its extent. Continue watching & next up are very useful for TV shows thats for sure, and I use those all the time.

Another suggestion...Maybe let suggestions come up from Genre on the home screen?

My opinion, a good starting point would be to let Roku users have a backdrop, different themes to liven up the home screen. Maybe some gradient backgrounds instead of a boring black screen.

Silentalero

Backdrops are already available via an option in the app settings.

If you are talking about the picture backdrops, only work with viewing the movie in the library, nothing on home menu. Just black screen (on pc, itll show backgrounds during home screen). And there is no setting to change the background (like on pc). Im sure your aware, but you cant actually change the home menu on roku itself, it tells you to adjust it from an outside menu.

Edited by Silentalero

Allan Cameron

Backdrop on the home screen (although, IMO, of very limited value):

5e0e17d0bf9d2_homebackdrop.jpg

I agree, if anything being able to choose the background such as a wallpaper would be a little more customizable. But as you said very limited value really.

I think the home screen is fine the way it is. Changing just the colour (theme) would be enough for me. 

Edited by Allan Cameron

Silentalero

Backdrop on the home screen (although, IMO, of very limited value):

5e0e17d0bf9d2_homebackdrop.jpg

Is this on Roku or PC?

Because there is no option to allow background images on the home screen for roku...

That is the Roku app.  i don't believe this is anything new but perhaps there is an issue in the release version that isn't there in the beta.

mlcarson

I've only tried Roku at a remote site and was rather astounded that it worked well from 2500 miles away.  My biggest complaint was what it did to my local media collection -- everything was there but in no order that I could determine so finding stuff took some time.  On the PC and Android clients things are in alphabetical order.  I didn't see this as an option on the Roku client. 

I've only tried Roku at a remote site and was rather astounded that it worked well from 2500 miles away.  My biggest complaint was what it did to my local media collection -- everything was there but in no order that I could determine so finding stuff took some time.  On the PC and Android clients things are in alphabetical order.  I didn't see this as an option on the Roku client. 

Hi.  All the grids are sortable by pressing the "*" button on  your remote.  This is the standard Roku way of bringing up a settings screen and there is a hint on the screen for that as well.

The next release will make this more obvious by introducing an actual toolbar for you to go to.

Does that clear it up?

PuffyToesToo

Soon we will have themes and a better looking homescreen. This is the direction you have asked and we listen. :)

Do you mind me asking if we will be able to participate in making themes or be able to make ones we would like, similar to Category Icons? Thank you.

Hi.  User-created themes aren't on the roadmap at this time.  On this platform specifically, that would be quite challenging.

Thanks.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
NeverExists

I Think a gradient background like the blue radiance one on the other emby apps would be better than a bland black background.

Unfortunately, bland = widest appeal - or, at least, less objections.

This platform will eventually get themes but there are other missing features that will come first.

• 5 weeks later...
Silentalero

Just curious, is there any chance of letting us test the horizontal menu on EMBY Beta for Roku?

(Or is there a thread somewhere about features and thoughts?)

Just curious, is there any chance of letting us test the horizontal menu on EMBY Beta for Roku?

(Or is there a thread somewhere about features and thoughts?)

What do you mean by horizontal?

You can create a new feature thread if one doesn't already exist for it. If a person reading that thread wants to "like the first post of that thread to give it a +1 bump" then they can also add their reason as a post in that same thread. This is how we gauge interest from users. By how many posts and upvotes one thread receives versus another. It also depends on complexity and time required for each to an extent. But for the most part "you"(yes, you. the person reading this right now.) are the compass of where Emby will head next. The more traction and interest a feature request appears to have the higher priority it will become in implementation.

There is always room to improve. We just need to know from users exactly where those improvements should be made. We need more users giving honest and critical feedback of where we need to improve. We also enjoy hearing compliments on where we excell. But we do want criticism and pointing out where we aren't doing all we can. Please give us feedback. Thanks. :)

Note to @@mikeraburn .. The screen saver is being worked on. Had minor issue with some health related things but should be back to 100% shortly. :P

Edited by speechles
  • Like 1

I believe he is referring to the old "Xbox-style" home screen presentation.

If so, there are no current plans to implement that in other apps.

Yeah I wasn't sure if he meant the tabs at the top of the screens. Those are horizontal too. The landing tabs where your start you view. With suggestions, movies, folders, etc at the top.

Edited by speechles

Silentalero

I believe he is referring to the old "Xbox-style" home screen presentation.

If so, there are no current plans to implement that in other apps.

Thank you, yea this is what i was talking about.

Is there any plan to impliment any new style of menu across any platforms? Or at least different background colors?