Notifications not working on remote play

Spaceboy

Spaceboy

When playing from the browser to the roku mbs reports the user as the person logged onto the roku not the person that sent it from the browser.

Also when sending live tv no notification is sent

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's always been this way. sending a remote control command does not cause the user on the receiving device to log out.

This is the way it was designed.  You are sending a remote control command, not impersonating someone on another device.

You are simply telling that device to do something - like a remote control.  That device/application is still within the context it has always been.

Spaceboy

What if admin is playing something outside of bob's library?

MrWebsmith

hmm never tried that.. would let luke/ebr respond to that situation until i can do a test.. i should be able to try to repro that later tonight and report back

techywarrior

It probably hasn't been considered but I think it should actually reject the request and notify that said video can't be played. The remote functionality is really designed as a remote allowing you to more easily start a video without using the target's interface. Now, that may not be the way you are using it, and for your use case it may not make as much sense, but you aren't exactly using it as intended.

As more people use various functionality in MB3 sometimes it highlights issues or use cases that weren't really considered or fleshed out. This may be more along those lines.

Purely as remote control of the target device it works well. Although I wonder about starting a video that the target doesn't have access to. I don't think it should play but I can definitely see the use case of having a restricted "child" profile and then you give special permission to watch something they don't have access to while you are in the room so you use your phone/tablet/whatever to start a video from your library.

Spaceboy

Purely as remote control of the target device it works well. Although I wonder about starting a video that the target doesn't have access to. I don't think it should play but I can definitely see the use case of having a restricted "child" profile and then you give special permission to watch something they don't have access to while you are in the room so you use your phone/tablet/whatever to start a video from your library.

That was my line of thinking, I think the remote functionality is absolutely fantastic by the way, I was just providing a thought. I'm sure you've got this in hand but I cannot wait to see play to multiple devices, that will be killer, the football in every room of the house running in sync!

Edited by Spaceboy

MrWebsmith

agreed.. its an interesting thought and i see a number of uses along those lines.. techy said it best that we rely heavily on all users thinking of new ideas and ways to use/enhance the software...

Spaceboy

I must be missing something, if I admin sends a play command to a remote device where Bob is logged on and the notification received states

Bob is playing Captain Phillips on Roku 2 XS (UK).

You don't think that is confusing?

MrWebsmith

well i look at it this way.. you told "bob" to play it.. he did..  the admin is acting "as bob" or on bob's behalf..so its still bob that should get the watched status change and therefore the notification.. its as they say above..not a "takeover" by admin but an "order" to bob

edit: hopefully my thought here makes it less confusing and not more lol

Edited by MrWebsmith

We did consider that scenario and designed it to allow that on purpose.  This is a way for you to temporarily grant access to view content they normally could not.

Spaceboy

We did consider that scenario and designed it to allow that on purpose.  This is a way for you to temporarily grant access to view content they normally could not.

ok, then i can see that argument but then the notifications are wrong / misleading as i first posted! the notification is telling me that a user is playing something that is not in their library. you don't think this has the potential for confusion?

furthermore you said:

You (admin) are sending a remote control command, not impersonating someone on another device.

i agree but thats not what the notification is telling me! in fact it is telling me that admin is impersonating someone on another device, thats exactly what it IS saying. even mr websmiths explanation reads to me as impersonation not remote control.

Personally i think notifications for remote control need more work. it should show the user that sent the remote command not the user that is logged onto to remote device.

If Bob is logged in on the remote device and Admin tells that device to play movie A, then the notification says "Bob is Playing Movie A" - right?

That is completely correct because that is exactly what is happening.  The Bob user is logged into that device and that user is playing that movie (by whatever means, that is the user that is playing that movie).  All resume status and watched states will be related to Bob because that is the user logged on the device/app that is playing the movie.

Spaceboy

You are correct.

But how is bob playing the movie if it's not in his library?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But how is bob playing the movie if it's not in his library?

Because a user that does have access to that item allowed him to.  This is an intentional feature.

it will work fine. admins can do whatever they want, including start a remote play for another user, with any content. we're not going to impose an artificial limitation on t hat.

Because a user that does have access to that item allowed him to.  This is an intentional feature.

That the main point of beaning an admin :)

I liked this feature the day it apply, many times my sons wanted to see a titles not in their allowed library, so instead of give them access to the whole library, I can use that and get done with it.

• Like 1

it will work fine. admins can do whatever they want, including start a remote play for another user, with any content. we're not going to impose an artificial limitation on t hat.

jordy

How about if you add a line to the notification of all remote plays? such as  "via Admin (or admin capable username) remote". I'm sure this would be an acceptable compromise. So the notification would be "Bob played Movie A (via Admin remote)". That would provide an audit trail if you like and may satisfy Spaceboy whilst keeping the intended actions in tact for the devs etc.

just a thought...

Not a terrible idea but that information isn't currently reported anywhere.  That is, the client apps don't report that they are playing from a remote command.  All of them and the API would need to be changed to support that.

Spaceboy

I think it really comes down to a basic difference in how you perceive the functionality to be and how it is intended (or how the developers view it).

The functionality is built and designed as a remote. The advanced feature is that there is an admin override so you can push content to a user who wouldn't otherwise be able to play it. It is NOT Airplay or Chrome Casting where you are taking over a remote device with your remote.

I think that is the distinction that you aren't making. (although I'm not sure if I made it any clearer or not) :)

Everyone, I believe, is taking your comments as user/constructive feedback. So far other users haven't posted having the same issue/confusion. But I am sure if there are a lot then it can be re-evaluated. Although it would most likely be an adjustment to the notification instead of a change of functionality.

Sooooo, is it possible that my confusion has arisen as a result of positioning the play to remote devices within the same menu as both chromecast and airplay devices with no discernible difference between any of the three kinds? If this is different functionality it probably needs highlighting somehow?

And i 100% agree with jordy

Edited by Spaceboy

Spaceboy

Ok, let me try one last thing. I can only assume some of this communication breakdown is user talking to developer. As a user my view is: I am logged in as admin, I send a remote command to bobs user session and the video starts playing, that video may not otherwise be available to Bob. My perception of that as a user is that admin is playing that video for bob. But the notification reports that bob is playing it.

Perhaps as a developer, your view of this is that in the background things are happening as you describe, that bob is playing the video. Maybe that's how it really happens in the background. But as a user that is not what I am seeing.

I guess the proof of this pudding will be if other users raise the same question, I guess these features aren't too widely used yet in combination? Anyway, I hope this has come across as the constructive feedback it was intended as

techywarrior

Ok, let me try one last thing. I can only assume some of this communication breakdown is user talking to developer. As a user my view is: I am logged in as admin, I send a remote command to bobs user session and the video starts playing, that video may not otherwise be available to Bob. My perception of that as a user is that admin is playing that video for bob. But the notification reports that bob is playing it.

I guess the proof of this pudding will be if other users raise the same question, I guess these features aren't too widely used yet in combination? Anyway, I hope this has come across as the constructive feedback it was intended as

I think it really comes down to a basic difference in how you perceive the functionality to be and how it is intended (or how the developers view it).

The functionality is built and designed as a remote. The advanced feature is that there is an admin override so you can push content to a user who wouldn't otherwise be able to play it. It is NOT Airplay or Chrome Casting where you are taking over a remote device with your remote.

I think that is the distinction that you aren't making. (although I'm not sure if I made it any clearer or not) :)

Everyone, I believe, is taking your comments as user/constructive feedback. So far other users haven't posted having the same issue/confusion. But I am sure if there are a lot then it can be re-evaluated. Although it would most likely be an adjustment to the notification instead of a change of functionality.

As a user, I'm seeing it as Bob playing it because that is the user logged into the device that is actually playing it.  As well as the user that is actually sitting in front of the device - otherwise, some other user would be logged in.  

I guess it is a different perspective, but that's how I see it as a user as well.