unraid (please hold my hand)

TwoFace

before you go saying "unraid isnt linux", yes while technically you are right, unraid is a unix based operating system... so i felt this was mildly appropriate. also, there is no unraid thread on these forums.

okay, now thats out of the way. Hi im TwoFace, im a computer repair technician (prefacing to show that i at least know a little bit about PCs and how they work). I have just installed unraid on a spare pc of mine to use as a general NAS but double as an emby server. I AM COMPLETELY NEW TO UNRAID AND EMBY. i need your help, i seem to have setup most things correctly, but cant figure out how to get emby to acknowledge files that are stored on my nas, honestly looking at it it seems pretty intuitave, but i cannot get this working for the life of me. if someone could help me out by troubleshooting or just linking a setup guide for unraid/emby that i can follow it would be much appreciated. cant tell if im missing an important step/setting or if me being sick is messing with my head enough that im missing something obvious. 

thanks in advance. -TwoFace

P.S. if this is actually a dumb idea or i just get a bunch of hate in the replies i will just delete this post.

BAlGaInTl

I run a server that is an Unraid NAS as well as my Emby server (and a few other apps as well).

It definitely isn't a dumb idea.

Which App (Docker Image) are you using from the Unraid apps?  Emby's? Linuxserver? Binhex?

Regardless, you will need to tell the docker what the path is to your media files.  I normally map this as a folder called "media" and then set up different libraries through Emby.

SpaceInvader One has a great Youtube Channel for setting up Unraid and installing just about anything you want:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZDfnUn74N0WeAPvMqTOrtA/videos

I don't know if there is one specific to Emby, but you can get lost in his videos and learn a lot about Unraid.

I'm at work now, but I can try to help with some quick instructions if you let me know which plugin you are using.  I personally use Emby's official one, but they are all good.

BAlGaInTl

Here is my Unraid Docker setup.  You should see something similar if you go to "Settings" for your docker.

The part I have circled is the path to my media. 

The host path (Unraid) is on the top, and then the bottom is the container path, or how the container appears to Emby (/media).

Hopefully that helps point you in the right direction.

5e014592c5bb3_EmbyUnraid.png

• Like 1

Here is my Unraid Docker setup.  You should see something similar if you go to "Settings" for your docker.

The part I have circled is the path to my media. 

The host path (Unraid) is on the top, and then the bottom is the container path, or how the container appears to Emby (/media).

Hopefully that helps point you in the right direction.

5e014592c5bb3_EmbyUnraid.png

While i did end up figuring it out, this was the solution, stupid sick me was trying to rout it back through the network drive... which was absolutely stupid. buuuuuuut while i have your attention, do i have to port forward for remote access to emby? i cant access my media when im not connected to wifi, but i swore emby was supposed to handle that stuff on its own...

• 1 year later...
xrqp

The graphic above shows in the hints, under red Directories, "/mnt: this path is used to add Library locations to Emby".  But then in the red circles shows a different path of "media". 

But my download of this container today shows "Container path: /mnt".  Did the user change it to container path to "media" ?

I tried it with /mnt and when I go into emby settings and create a Movie Library, I can drill into my folder  /mnt/user/data/media/movies/  and see my movies listed under that folder, and create the Library.  But when I go to normal user interface (not settings), I do not see any movies in the Library.  How do i fix that?

My unraid share is called "data", and has its permissions set to public.

Edited by xrqp

4 hours ago, xrqp said:

The graphic above shows in the hints, under red Directories, "/mnt: this path is used to add Library locations to Emby".  But then in the red circles shows a different path of "media". 

But my download of this container today shows "Container path: /mnt".  Did the user change it to container path to "media" ?

I tried it with /mnt and when I go into emby settings and create a Movie Library, I can drill into my folder  /mnt/user/data/media/movies/  and see my movies listed under that folder, and create the Library.  But when I go to normal user interface (not settings), I do not see any movies in the Library.  How do i fix that?

My unraid share is called "data", and has its permissions set to public.

HI, what folder path did you add to emby library setup?

xrqp

For movie type library i pathed to /mnt/user/data/media/movies/

While I am setting up the library path, I can see my movies contained under the path.  But when I go to use Emby, the Library has nothing in it.

BAlGaInTl
9 hours ago, xrqp said:

For movie type library i pathed to /mnt/user/data/media/movies/

While I am setting up the library path, I can see my movies contained under the path.  But when I go to use Emby, the Library has nothing in it.

In my example above, you would put (as an example) in the red circled area:

/mnt/user/data/media/movies

Container Path: /movies

Then in your Emby server, you should have a folder called "movies" that you can map to for your library when you browse (Container Path).

You could also make multiple container paths for each type of media if you have more than just movies (e.g., music, TV, anime).  

I simply map to "media" where all my different folders are.  Right now, I have all my media set up on one share.  Probably not the best setup since if I want to watch anything, all my disks spin up.  But that's a topic for another time.

xrqp

OK.  I will try changing the container path to movies  

OR

change the Emby libary to  /mnt/user/data/

The Emby container should include a little help, on this subject. Your version showed a little help under red Directories, "/mnt: this path is used to add Library locations to Emby".  But in current version they changed it: they dropped the minimal help.  Would be nice to have a bit more help in the container.  

xrqp

Set container like this

image.png.be275c9130436b8becc7c150f428c287.png

set library like this

image.png.608a4bd5ca6a4df1a8b0367e6ba4cf69.png

Still does not work.

So next tried:

image.png.9ddcef9b186cdd74d52eea9ec16186aa.png

image.png.c70feb4ae6ab7e73086f9651d9c33d43.png

Also did not work.

BAlGaInTl

What's not working?

In the first example, you can see the "movies" folder.

Are you saying when you select that Emby doesn't detect any movies?

xrqp

when I go into emby settings and create a Movie Library, I can drill into my folder  /mnt/user/data/media/movies/  and see my movies listed under that folder, and create the Library.  But when I go to normal user interface (not settings), I do not see any movies in the Library. 

KMBanana

Inside of the Emby application you don't use the host path, you use the container path your created.  So instead of drilling down into "/mnt/user/data/media/movies/" you just go to "/movies" because of the "Host Path 2" path mapping you created.  

These paths are case sensitive by the way.  

• 4 weeks later...

I did try it with just /movies, and I could see my movies when setting up the folder, but then when I try to use the library, there are no movies in it.  I was using an unraid container called "binhex emby".  Now I am trying "linuxserver emby" and same problem.  I could try emby's emby container. 

Emby gives the option to give the full network path.  I could try that.  Would I type it like this: "/mnt/user/data/media/movies/" or \\192.168.1.145   or  \\192.168.1.145\movies  ?  I am not sure how it should begin.

KMBanana
39 minutes ago, xrqp said:

I did try it with just /movies, and I could see my movies when setting up the folder, but then when I try to use the library, there are no movies in it.  I was using an unraid container called "binhex emby".  Now I am trying "linuxserver emby" and same problem.  I could try emby's emby container. 

Emby gives the option to give the full network path.  I could try that.  Would I type it like this: "/mnt/user/data/media/movies/" or \\192.168.1.145   or  \\192.168.1.145\movies  ?  I am not sure how it should begin.

I use the official emby docker container, but all three should be fine. 

You most likely had it correct with /movies but needed to wait for Emby to scan and identify what was there, or didn't use the correct path for the library.  

Try to get the file system mount working, it will be better as it can automatically detect when new movies are added.  

If you want help with it after you reset up your container post screenshots of the settings for your movies share in unraid, and the configuration page for the emby docker container.  

Well.  It turned out my disk was corrupted.  I ran the unraid repair on it (called Check File System).  Now it is working correctly.  My sincere thanks for the replies.  

I am still hoping someone can give an example of how, with unraid emby, they did the (Optional) Shared network folder path?  (where emby says "If this folder is shared on your network, supplying the network share path can allow Emby apps on other devices to access media files directly."

Edited by xrqp

KMBanana

image.png.d9c8fd83d1bbb57de9fff52671f0bf31.png

/movies being the container path for Emby to access the movies

\\unraid01\  being the unraid server which my home DNS resolves to, you can also do \\192.168.1.XXX
\\unraid01\movies\ being the the "movies" share on unraid
 \\unraid01\movies\Movies  being where the /movies container path above is mapped to, in here are folders with movie titles, and inside those the corresponding movies.  I have this extra layer which you may not because I have a few folders alongside it like /AnimeMovies and /ForeignMovies

Your network share needs to be accessible for this to work, you can configure SMB share settings in Unraid.  If you can't access the network path you are trying to add from your computer it probably won't work.  

Setting this up allows some apps when you hit play on a movie to load right from the network share on your unraid server and not actually go through Emby.  Not really sure how actually useful this is except for Kodi based players?  

Thanks, KMBanana. Since I use Trash's Guide, and with your instructions, I will use 

\\192.168.1.145\data\media\movies

Is it correct to put "\" after the 5?  No colon?

I do not know how to test if it works?  I tried to remove the first "Folder: /movies" to test the 2nd "network folder" but it does not let me do that.

Your reply helped because I do not know when to use:

• "/" vs "\"
  • two //  or \\ or one
  • colon, or no colon
  • if any slashes should go at the beginning, or the end, or both
Edited by xrqp