New Plugin - Tag reader only for music files.

Vicpa

Hi

The current metadata providers work quite well for most files and many users. But can create unexpected results some times and support issues for the emby team.

Maybe a different simpler approach would work for everyone. Rather than discuss the pros or cons of existing plugins maybe a new one is needed.

What I am proposing is an optional alternative to the current MusicBrainz  plugin. As the emby team points out the MB'ids are needed to fully benefit from the other providers.

A plugin that just reads verbatim the tags in a music file and adds content to emby. With the content added based exclusively on the tags the rest of the emby processes would function as normal.

Now obviously if your tags are wrong or incomplete the MB plugin is a much better choice and should be the default for most users.

This is easy to test and verify. If it is the tags that is the way it shows up in emby. 

Hi @Luke

I will leave it to you to decide if maybe I am pointing out bugs in the current process or just asking for something different. 

What I  am looking for is to be able to add an album fully tagged by Picard in the default format MB uses.

One of the key things I need is for emby to accept multiple id's with a ";" separator.  The ";" is one of the default options 

For example 

Here are the tags for an album.

5e010ee9b87bb_chick14.jpg

The multiple id's are needed to uniquely identify the artist in emby. 

The emby logic is fist check internally the id for an album artist and if it finds a match attribute the album to that artist regardless of the albumartist name.  This is generally a good thing 

However here is my issue

I have the MusicBrainz plugin installed first in my metadata providers list. I have unchecked the "lookup".  Is there another way to disable "internet metadata features" for the library?

My expectation for a New Plugin or if the current plugins functioning with "lookup" unchecked would be for emby to read and add the tags as they exist in my files.

This is the metadata from emby

5e011b220a8a8_chick15.jpg

As you can see emby is only using one of the ids and for some reason created a album artist that doesn't match what is in my files. My guess is a lookup is still happening somewhere..

This creates other problems with subsequent albums when they are added to the library. This id is now associated with this "artist" 

From the number of posts in the forums with people removing the MB plugin, trying with blank ids. removing content rescanning etc. I thought a straight tag reader plugin could be an option, but that is up to you.

Thanks

-vicpa

Is there another way to disable "internet metadata features" for the library?

I think you asked this in your other topic so let's continue that discussion there in order to avoid having the same conversation in multiple places.

The multiple id's are needed to uniquely identify the artist in emby. 

Yes this is something we can look at supporting. Thanks.