Duplicate Artists and Artist Images

MBSki
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

MBSki

I can't figure out why I have 2 AC/DC listed in Album artists. One links to the albums, and the other links to just more like this. Why is there a separate artist album just to show "More Like This"? 

Also, slightly different topic, why isn't the scan finding images from popular artists? 2Pac, Fergie, Jon Secada, The Rolling Stones, … none of them have images. What's the trick to getting images populated for these? Other than manually adding them.

post-290994-0-42343900-1576936181_thumb.jpg

Edited by mbarylski

MBSki

Yep, I read through that already. It helped me solve the problem of the duplicate artists showing up for just playlists. But there's no explanation in there about duplicate artists just for "More Like This".

And what about images? Why wouldn't the scan find an image for The Rolling Stones?  

skidmarks

Do you have fanart enabled as a fetcher in your library settings?

5dfe41be7550f_Capture.jpg

The images are somewhat confusing at times, but it is because fanart has The Rolling Stones listed as Rolling Stones, The.  In these cases you can just go to fanart and download the images.

Removing musicbrainz (following the steps in that post) fixed my issues with the rouge "more like this" entries.  You can see from the photo that i did reinstall musicbrainz, but i do not have it enabled as a fetcher.

You will also find that some of your music MIGHT have musicbrainz ID's already embedded into the metadata.

Edited by skidmarks

MBSki

Great, thanks. I'll give that a shot. To remove musicbrainz, I think I got it, but to confirm, just uncheck and rescan?

skidmarks

In the next post by luke you will see i am wrong again... 

It's official, i am now going to become a lurker.

Please follow any suggestions that others may provide!

For the record i dislike the musicbrainz fetcher.  It is substandard and lack luster... 

Edited by skidmarks
  • Like 1

To remove musicbrainz

Why do you want to do this? All of the other music providers depend on MusicBrainz Id's, so if you're going to disable our musicbrainz provider then the other ones are not going to be able to find very much. So that screenshot is really not good advice.

MBSki

Why do you want to do this? All of the other music providers depend on MusicBrainz Id's, so if you're going to disable our musicbrainz provider then the other ones are not going to be able to find very much. So that screenshot is really not good advice.

Ok, understood. Just trying to find a way to get rid of the duplicates. I've got some artists that show up twice and the duplicate is just pointing to "More Like This" or in one case, it was a duplicate and the only metadata in the duplicate was a link to musicbrainz and audiodb. I think the fix is to set the musicbrainz id on ALL individual songs (a big pain) and in some cases pull the files out of the library, scan, put the files back into the library and rescan/refresh metadata. That seemed to work for AC/DC when it was duplicated. Trying it with Stevie Ray Vaughn now and awaiting the results. 

As for the images, I don't understand why the images aren't getting pulled. They're in AudioDB, because I ended up just going to AudioDB, saving the image locally, and then inserting the image manually. Why isn't Emby pulling from AudioDB automatically for some of these artists?

Right, we should look at the cause of the duplicates, rather than just removing the music brainz plugin. Often you'll find the answer by looking at the metadata differences between the two of them.

As for the images, I don't understand why the images aren't getting pulled. They're in AudioDB, because I ended up just going to AudioDB, saving the image locally, and then inserting the image manually. Why isn't Emby pulling from AudioDB automatically for some of these artists?

We'd have to discuss an example to answer this. How to report a problem. Thanks.

MBSki

Right, we should look at the cause of the duplicates, rather than just removing the music brainz plugin. Often you'll find the answer by looking at the metadata differences between the two of them.

Yes, I did that, but as I mentioned, it's a pain.

We'd have to discuss an example to answer this. How to report a problem. Thanks.

Isn't that what I did here? 2Pac, Fergie, Jon Secada, and The Rolling Stones are all examples of artists that didn't get an artist image. Not sure what screen shot I can provide other than a pic of the library with no artist image. Would you like me to attach server logs as well?

MBSki

Do the artists have musicbrainz IDs assigned?

For the duplicates, some did and some didn't, or, they had different musicbrainz id's. When they both had the musicbrainz's id's, I had to go into the individual tracks and add the musicbrainz id's to each individual song. This is the part that was a pain. If the musicbrainz id's are blank on the individual songs, I wouldn't think I would have to add it. In 2 cases, AC/DC and Stevie Ray Vaughn, after updating the id's for everything, it still left a duplicate and I had to pull the files from my library, scan, put them back, and rescan/refresh metadata. That worked, and it was only for 2 so not bad. 

I still don't understand the images though. I refreshed metadata multiple times for the artists that didn't have images, but ultimately gave up and just added them manually.

In the end, this is a minor issue though. Much more important to me is getting 4k videos to work on the Xbox One. :D  

• Solution

We'd have to look at a specific example. Maybe you had tracks with the same artist name but different musicbrainz id's embedded - in which case, this is expected behavior. Or maybe you had an album nfo file containing the same artist name but different musicbrainz id, in which case, also expected behavior.

Ultimately this can always be traced by locating what media is assigned to each of the duplicates and then once you've done that, it shouldn't be too hard to identify the inconsistency, such as different musicbrainz id's, artist name spelled differently, etc.