Cannot Play Video

altramarine
Go to solution Solved by Cheesegeezer,

altramarine

Hello,

I cannot for the life of me get Media Browser Classic to play my content.

I am able to play the same content using Media Browser Theater,  browser player.

I am able to play Trailers (plugin), able to navigate through content but when I press "Play" I get:

"Cannot Play Video

Windows Media Center cannot find the specified file. Be sure the path is typed correctly. If it is, the file foes not exist at the specified location, or the computer where the file is stored is offline"

I changed my library to UNC pathing, thinking it's an issue but that did not help.

Any ideas?

Thanks a lot!

Edited by altramarine

Cheesegeezer

Sounds like codec issues. Do you have codec packs installed?

Please have a read of this thread.....

http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/4305-mbc-and-codecs-understanding-the-media-foundation/

Use the graph studio tool to help you determine what the default codecs being used for windows is and post up a screengrab.

Thanks

• Like 1

altramarine

http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/4305-mbc-and-codecs-understanding-the-media-foundation/

Use the graph studio tool to help you determine what the default codecs being used for windows is and post up a screengrab.

Thanks

Thanks Cheesegeezer,

I'll go through that post.

and yes, i had Jriver 18, 19 installed. I also had Kawaii Codec Pack installed (LAV, madvr, etc). I had all of them uninstalled but I guess that does not really remove them fully.

CBers

If you have MBT and MBC on the same HTPC, then both should make use of the LAV filters.

Check out the FFDSHOW and LAV FILTERS links at the end of @@Cheesegeezer's guide.

Edited by CBers
  • Like 2

altramarine

Thanks

Hi Cheesegeezer,

For some reason no matter what video file i drag into the Graph Tool, i get the error "Cannot open file". Strange

altramarine

Hi Cheesegeezer,

For some reason no matter what video file i drag into the Graph Tool, i get the error "Cannot open file". Strange

OK, after installing Kawaii Codec Pack back on, GraphStudio is now working but I have no idea what I am looking at. My apologies, most of this is a bit too over my head, live and learn i suppose.

Media Browser Classic playback still does not work either.

539e78f05ed17_graph.png

Edited by altramarine

Cheesegeezer

Hi Cheesegeezer,

This is because your codecs are messing up playback.

Suggest you uninstall all codecs from your system. Then run the win7filtertweaker tool in that guide. You should only see microsoft filters available if you have uninstalled all filters.

OK, after installing Kawaii Codec Pack back on, GraphStudio is now working but I have no idea what I am looking at. My apologies, most of this is a bit too over my head, live and learn i suppose.

Media Browser Classic playback still does not work either.

539e78f05ed17_graph.png

That picture explains alot - you're in a mess lol. You basically have 2 video decoders trying to decode a stream. You need to have only one video decoder and one audio decoder and one subtitle decoder in the graph. Once that is rectified playback should be fixed. I'll help you out as much as you need to get you up and running again.

If you can post a svreen shot of the win7filtertweaker tool after you run it for preferred codecs, it would be appreciated.

• Like 1

altramarine

Hi Cheesegeezer,

Thanks so much for sticking around!

I went ahead and removed the Kawaii Codec Pack.

Then opened win7filtertweaker and Reset the settings.

Now, I am getting the "cannot open file" message again when attempting to open a video file in GraphStudio.

As per your previous advice, I suspect I have a ninja codec still hiding in the shadows.

here are some screenies:

GraphStudio, no go:

539e8483aaab1_graph1.png

Current state of win7filtertweaker:

539e84c6ef091_preferred1.png

539e84d04644e_preferred2.png

539e84d9b0806_preferred3.png

This is what I have installed on my HTPC:

539e84f060b49_installed.png

Edited by altramarine

altramarine

Not sure this would matter but I managed to uninstall JRiver 18 (had issues removing it before), Teamviewer. And I re-installed Nvidia driver (again, because for some reason, control panel wasn't coming up before).

This did not really help though:)

Cheesegeezer

Hi Cheesegeezer,

Thanks so much for sticking around!

I went ahead and removed the Kawaii Codec Pack.

Then opened win7filtertweaker and Reset the settings.

Now, I am getting the "cannot open file" message again when attempting to open a video file in GraphStudio.

As per your previous advice, I suspect I have a ninja codec still hiding in the shadows.

here are some screenies:

GraphStudio, no go:

539e8483aaab1_graph1.png

Current state of win7filtertweaker:

539e84c6ef091_preferred1.png

539e84d04644e_preferred2.png

539e84d9b0806_preferred3.png

This is what I have installed on my HTPC:

539e84f060b49_installed.png

Good info here, thanks very much. Have you tried an mp4, avi file in graph studio?

Also navigate to the folder in that tutorial that shows the MS codec for video, msmpeg2vdec.dll and ensure that its there and that it hasnt been renamed.

Reinstall your kawaii codec pack as it only includes the LAV filters. Then go back to the win7. Tweaker and set your video codecs to LAV. Then try the graph and post up you screen grab here for that. If you only have LAV filters decoding and the sub filter showing in the graph then try mbc again.

If that doesn't work and you are still seeing the MS DTD filter trying to muscle in, try disabling it in the tweaker by selecting the disable option for both 64&32 bit MS DTD video decoders. Try graph studio again and post up screenie.

There is something amiss with your standard setup which i cant place. There was a tool i used to use to see all filters installed and cant remember what it was, i'll rack my brains and see if i can remember.

• Like 1

Cheesegeezer

Does jriver install codecs. Would it be a pain to uninstall and try that again before doing the above?

if you have a homegroup set up right click on the library or folder you wish to access with mediabrowser and click share with >homegroup(view &edit)

if you don't have an homegroup it's going to be a lot more fiddly....

I just changed some of my libraries and had the same issue, had to re-do network shares

• Like 1

altramarine

Does jriver install codecs. Would it be a pain to uninstall and try that again before doing the above?

I am not 100% sure but I managed to uninstall jRiver it completely.

As per your instructions, I have verified that the msmpeg2adec files are there and not renamed:

539fa9636686f_msmpeg2adec.png

I've installed KCP back on and set the win7 tweaker to (apologies for poor quality of taken screenies):

539fa96fb7fc6_pddf1.png

539fa98249d7a_pddf2.png

539fa98b0c4a7_pddf3.png

539fa99bbf448_pddf4.png

Now, graphstudio is again able to open a media file, like so:

539fa9e0acc4a_graphstudio.png

Alas, Media Browser Classic is still giving me the same error.

KCP preconfigures the LAVs, madVR and xy, could that be the problem? I started using KCP because it preconfigures LAV, madVR the same way i'd configure them manually (as per many guides I've followed). Also, because I am very green when it comes to these types of configurations:)

Does the graphstudio look any better?

Thanks a ton again!

altramarine

if you have a homegroup set up right click on the library or folder you wish to access with mediabrowser and click share with >homegroup(view &edit)

if you don't have an homegroup it's going to be a lot more fiddly....

I just changed some of my libraries and had the same issue, had to re-do network shares

Hi Lee,

Thanks for attempting to help also!

At first, I mapped a drive letter to point to my NAS share using a special account created on the NAS. That worked fine for local and remote play via Browser and MBT.

Then I changed to UNC pathing thinking that's where the problem lied for MBC.

The thing is, I am able to access, browse and play from that share via either methods: drive letter , UNC no problem.

I do not use homegroups.

altramarine

altramarine is good people.  Hope you get your system figured out buddy!

Hah! thanks:) Same goes for you sir! and for the entire MB community!

Edited by altramarine

Cheesegeezer

I am not 100% sure but I managed to uninstall jRiver it completely.

As per your instructions, I have verified that the msmpeg2adec files are there and not renamed:

539fa9636686f_msmpeg2adec.png

I've installed KCP back on and set the win7 tweaker to (apologies for poor quality of taken screenies):

539fa96fb7fc6_pddf1.png

539fa98249d7a_pddf2.png

539fa98b0c4a7_pddf3.png

539fa99bbf448_pddf4.png

Now, graphstudio is again able to open a media file, like so:

539fa9e0acc4a_graphstudio.png

Alas, Media Browser Classic is still giving me the same error.

KCP preconfigures the LAVs, madVR and xy, could that be the problem? I started using KCP because it preconfigures LAV, madVR the same way i'd configure them manually (as per many guides I've followed). Also, because I am very green when it comes to these types of configurations:)

Does the graphstudio look any better?

Thanks a ton again!

Graph studio looks good now, thats what i would expect. So i guess its in your configuation.

Do you have a video file without subtitles. Please try that first to eliminate directvobsub from equation.

Try and play any media file in windows media player and see what happens.

Can you disable vobsub in KCP? If so, do it and try again.

Finally if you look at the LAV Video Decoder box in graph studio, you will see an out label with a tiny grey box next to it, right click on the grey box and select properties, a new window will pop up, not sure if you can print that of the top of my head but you should be able to see what decoder is being used in the list thats provided.

Sorry for all the steps but we will get there.

• Like 1

• Solution
Cheesegeezer

Aha I remembered that tool it's called Radlight FilterManager.  I have a link to my dropbox here for the tool

So basically if you run this tool and then go to the DirectShowFilters Menu and expand this, any filters that are not registered but available will be shown greyed out.

Filters that are in use on your system will be solid.  I think I'm going to try out this KCP to see if I can repo the problem.

As a last resort - you can run these bat files to register mkv filters on your system.  this may fix the problem. You need to register both of these.

64Bit Filter Registration

32bit Filter Registration for 64bit systems

Edited by Cheesegeezer
  • Like 1

altramarine

Graph studio looks good now, thats what i would expect. So i guess its in your configuation.

Do you have a video file without subtitles. Please try that first to eliminate directvobsub from equation.

Try and play any media file in windows media player and see what happens.

Can you disable vobsub in KCP? If so, do it and try again.

Finally if you look at the LAV Video Decoder box in graph studio, you will see an out label with a tiny grey box next to it, right click on the grey box and select properties, a new window will pop up, not sure if you can print that of the top of my head but you should be able to see what decoder is being used in the list thats provided.

Sorry for all the steps but we will get there.

Thanks so much for invested time!

I found a video without subtitles and here is what graphstudio looks like:

539fd10cd1368_graph.png

Two things I am not sure about.

1. Do you mean "Windows Media Player" and not "Windows Media Center" correct? Sorry, if this sounds idiotic.

The reason I say that, because if i attempt to play the two random mkvs (with and without subtitles) in Windows Media Player, I first get this message:

539fd178974ce_wmp.png

Selecting "yes" starts playback just fine.

However, if I try opening the same file in Windows Media Center (which Media Browser Classic uses?), I get the original error message.

I will try disabling the VobSub in KCP, just need to do it in a safe fashion, as to not create further complications.

2. In win7 tweaks, i've only changed the 32bit section because I believe KCP installs 32bit LAV filters by default. I run a 64bit Windows 7. I know plenty of guides stress the 32bit installation option. Is that OK?

Here is LAV Video Decoder's out properties:

539fd25ad2c2b_lavvo.png

539fd26705145_lavvo2.png

Funny you should mention Radlight's tool. I stumbled upon this link yesterday and thats the one I havent tried yet:) Being at the bottom of the list on that page.

No grayed out filters it seems:

539fd2f52ed29_rad1.png

539fd2ff2ef45_rad2.png

539fd307988ca_rad3.png

539fd3104a08f_rad4.png

539fd31ab699a_rad5.png

I hope you don't hate me for all of these scrolls of screens:)

As usual, much obliged for all the help.

• Like 1

altramarine

Success!

After registering 64bit filters, Windows Media Center started playing!

Funny, I registered the 32bit ones first and that did not do anything but then I read you advising running both of the aforementioned batch files.

Excellent show sir! I am in your debt! Your patience is impeccable.

Once again, MB community sweeps me off the floor, sits me at a dining table AND extends my own spoon into my mouth. Not that it is necessarily a good thing, but it sure as a hell feels special!

Now to figure out why the heck my remote is refusing to fast back/forward

Edited by altramarine
  • Like 1

Cheesegeezer

Success!

After registering 64bit filters, Windows Media Center started playing!

Funny, I registered the 32bit ones first and that did not do anything but then I read you advising running both of the aforementioned batch files.

Excellent show sir! I am in your debt! Your patience is impeccable.

Once again, MB community sweeps me off the floor, sits me at a dining table AND extends my own spoon into my mouth. Not that it is necessarily a good thing, but it sure as a hell feels special!

Now to figure out why the heck my remote is refusing to fast back/forward

Good stuff mate!! So glad we got their in the end.

WMC runs in 64bit. WMP plays 32bit on 64bit systems unless you alter the default player. So Basically you had no filters decoding MKV streams in WMC. My fault I should have spotted that in one if your earlier posts.

FFW & RWD dont work in WMC, only skip fwd and skip back will work. If you are running MBC bersion 182, the custom player i believe implements fwd and rwd capabilities.

Enjoy MBC!!! :D

Edited by Cheesegeezer

altramarine

You nailed it regardless for which I am grateful. I have no idea how I managed to ruin my system to that point.

That is unfortunate about the FFW & RWD. Hopefully that's something that will be available in future releases. I need to read about custom players.

Thanks again!