Buying a new HTPC (maybe a NUC?)

steve1977

steve1977

I am thinking to buy a new HTPC. After always sticking with Mac/OSX, I am now considering to buy a Windows-based HTPC with one of the reasons being that I would be able to finally actually use MBT without struggling with bootcamp and remote control incompatibilities.

So, wanted to get your advice on what to get. See below what is important to me and what I don't really care about:

Must-haves:

* HDMI and optical digital out

* 1080p capable

* Super-snappy display of MBT

* Dead silent

* Decent looking remote (working out of the box)

* Ethernet

Nice-to-have

I have an old 2.5" SSD and some old notebook ram, would be nice to keep using both rather than buying new stuff

* Prefer to run windows on it and have a spare license

Do not need

* HD-Audio, DTS is more than enough for me
* Wifi

Thanks in advance!!!

Spaceboy

I've got an nuc, I can only recommend it. Less than 10 seconds to boot to desktop (haven't actually timed it's it's probably nearer 5s) in win 8.1, works with my harmony remote without any changes, there is no optical digital out but I've got some sort of splitter for about £5. Plays ups to psx emulated games. It's not as silent as I'd like running wmc but MBT seems to pull much less CPU. I've thought about trying xbmc on it without windows as I hear good things about that. Ideally I'd love the same for MBT but seems a while away yet.

Although I still prefer a windows based PC for my main tv I also highly recommend anything roku. For quality over price it's up there with an nuc, quality alone the nuc wins

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

steve1977

Thanks for your quick reply. Which NUC did you pick and can you point me on the "splitter" you bought to get optical digital out? The optical digital out is a must-have for me. Are you using a remote? If so, which one did you pick?

As spaceboy says i'd think about a cheap windows PC you can stick in the loft or something and run gigabit lan (if possible) to a Roku. They're awesome!!!

steve1977

Isn't a NUC a cheap windows based PC? The Roku is not fast enough for me (GUI) and all the cool stuff of the Roku does not work anyways outside US/UK.

Koleckai Silvestri

Isn't a NUC a cheap windows based PC? The Roku is not fast enough for me (GUI) and all the cool stuff of the Roku does not work anyways outside US/UK.

NUC prices vary widely. You can put one together for as little as $300 after RAM and SSD costs or you can spend up to $1200 on getting one up and running. The cost of Windows isn't included so that will be another $85 for an OEM copy. At the low end you have low power Celeron chips, poor embedded video and fans. At the high end, you have i7 chips with top of the line video, card slot SSD and better passive cooling.

techywarrior

I just replaced my htpc with a NUC and can't be happier. I got the d54250wykh because it has best graphics and the 2.5" drive bay. I needed the extra storage for recording shows and wanted the better graphics for emulation and transcoding. It's not silent but almost. I can't hear it since it is in a cabinet under the TV.

Edited by techywarrior

roberthleeii

I have a dedicated HTPC now that basically just runs MB Theater (and WatchESPN App) and it is a hand me down $300(when new), 5 year old, AMD dual core, HP slimline PC. I just put a $45 silent video card and I can't be happier. Plays Blu-ray rips without a problem and is plenty snappy. Finding one of those cheap and throwing in a Video card might be a nice cheap option for you. Mine works a lot quicker than my Roku 3 hard wired.