Problem playing certain files on Emby App for Roku

wtfaremypants

@@wtfaremypants

Only see the error when playing the files on Emby for Roku app. It's a video file (.mkv) and yes, its a TV show.

1. Are you playing these from the "Episodes" tab and doing this from the grid?

2. Are these TV episodes that cause the problem?

3. You do not see the problem with home videos, movies, etc?

If yes to all the above I know (Reference #680) what is causing it. 

If no, can you answer how are you trying to play these items that produce that message?

Which screen you are on and how you got to the screen. For example: From the homescreen went to TV library. Clicked episodes. Then on the grid picked an episode and it produces the message. If you explain how you got to the spot where the message comes from we can perhaps reproduce on our side.

Edited by speechles

wtfaremypants

@@wtfaremypants

1. Are you playing these from the "Episodes" tab and doing this from the grid?

2. Are these TV episodes that cause the problem?

3. You do not see the problem with home videos, movies, etc?

If yes to all the above I know (Reference #680) what is causing it. 

If no, can you answer how are you trying to play these items that produce that message?

Which screen you are on and how you got to the screen. For example: From the homescreen went to TV library. Clicked episodes. Then on the grid picked an episode and it produces the message. If you explain how you got to the spot where the message comes from we can perhaps reproduce on our side.

1. I answered this previously: these files are only accessible through the "Folders" tab or "Episodes" tab. They don't appear in the default "Shows" tab.

2. These are the only files, in the entire time I've been using Emby that have had this issue. We watched other TV episodes and movies during the time this was going on. This tells me that it is specific to these files somehow, and not a "site-wide" issue.

3. Read #2 above.

So I guess the answer is "yes" to all the above.

The only addition I have to your final statement is that when you choose an episode, it takes you to an additional screen where I "click" the play button just before the error message appears. I hope that makes sense.

I'm pretty sure your issue is related to the fact these items are not properly identified.  If you can provide the requested information, we can probably help figure it out.  Or, look at the items vs. the proper naming and structure conventions and find out why they aren't showing up properly.

wtfaremypants

I'm pretty sure your issue is related to the fact these items are not properly identified.  If you can provide the requested information, we can probably help figure it out.  Or, look at the items vs. the proper naming and structure conventions and find out why they aren't showing up properly.

The "identification" is a non-issue as far as I'm concerned. The files play perfectly well in every other instance, including the Emby web app. The issue is specific to playback on Roku. I'll wait to see what speechles says in reply to my last post as they seem to maybe have an answer.

Edited by wtfaremypants

In order for us to find this issue, we'll need you to actually cause the problem and then post the log from that time and tell us when the problem occurred.

Thanks.

If you can please provide this, we can try and determine what is happening here.

Thanks.

wtfaremypants

Why have comments by Speechles and myself been deleted? Is this how you run this forum? I was expecting a reply from Speechles that might address my problem, and now both their comment and mine are missing...

Happy2Play

1. I answered this previously: these files are only accessible through the "Folders" tab or "Episodes" tab. They don't appear in the default "Shows" tab.

2. These are the only files, in the entire time I've been using Emby that have had this issue. We watched other TV episodes and movies during the time this was going on. This tells me that it is specific to these files somehow, and not a "site-wide" issue.

3. Read #2 above.

So I guess the answer is "yes" to all the above.

The only addition I have to your final statement is that when you choose an episode, it takes you to an additional screen where I "click" the play button just before the error message appears. I hope that makes sense.

My guess would be that technically your structure is undocumented and may or may not work across every app.  But I know they are working to accommodate you.

I would assume you would have no issues if this was a Home video library instead of a content type TV with nothing but episodes.  Emby currently does not support episodes without Series folders.

Why have comments by Speechles and myself been deleted? Is this how you run this forum? I was expecting a reply from Speechles that might address my problem, and now both their comment and mine are missing...

@@wtfaremypants, I apologize for the post deletion. I'll find out what happened and make sure it doesn't happen again. Thanks.

Ok @@wtfaremypants, your posting was not deleted. Speechles deleted his reply to you because he needed more time to go back and review the code, but none of your postings were deleted. Does that clear up your concern?

Hi.  If you turn off the option to auto queue subsequent episodes in the Roku app, do these items play properly?

wtfaremypants

Ok @@wtfaremypants, your posting was not deleted. Speechles deleted his reply to you because he needed more time to go back and review the code, but none of your postings were deleted. Does that clear up your concern?

My reply to his post was deleted. I've decided this process isn't worth any more of my time. There are other options out there that don't require this level of effort to play basic media files. Go ahead and delete this whole thread if that's what you want to do.

@@wtfaremypants I can promise you that no other posting was deleted. See this screenshot from our moderator control panel:

5df829e01e354_5df6f7f8967bc_deleted.jpg

He deleted his quoting of your posting, but not your original posting. Your original posting can still be found here in post #27:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/80323-problem-playing-certain-files-on-emby-app-for-roku/?p=819441

Your message is still visible where it says:

"The only addition I have to your final statement is that when you choose an episode..."

Do you still feel that we have deleted your postings? I'm happy to continue working with you to resolve the original issue.

Happy2Play

Hi.  If you turn off the option to auto queue subsequent episodes in the Roku app, do these items play properly?

@@wtfaremypants

With my testing disabling this option allows the items to play with your misc folder episode structure.  Since it is auto queueing what it thinks is a Series but it is actually just a unidentified item

Edited by Happy2Play

My reply to his post was deleted. I've decided this process isn't worth any more of my time. There are other options out there that don't require this level of effort to play basic media files. Go ahead and delete this whole thread if that's what you want to do.

We understand the issue. The problem was my post was eaten. I went to edit a quoted post and it destroyed what was previously there (a known issue on these forums) so I had the team remove that post of mine. They were just trying to be helpful. This was done to keep it simple for you and remove the previous incorrect statements I made. In trying to clean that up quickly I may have goofed. I apologize.

Suffice to say, when I asked you to stay tuned I meant it. We did solve your issue. It was due to a combination of your not having actual seasons and how our auto-queue mechanism works. We are making changes to our queue mechanism to support your files. You do nothing different they will just play.

We apologize for the problems you had and any miscommunication. Please give us another try on the very next Beta. We value your feedback and want to see you happy. Thanks again for choosing Emby. Sorry again for any trouble you had trying to get your issue solved. We will do better next time. Thanks. :)

Hi.  We did not remove any of your posts and we do think we have identified the issue with the app but it would be great if you could confirm that with the next beta release.

Thanks.