Where is path substitution?

wollabille

wollabille

Dear community.

I have a question about how to use Native (direct paths) via a Nvidia Shield?

When using Kodi/Emby from a PC. It only works once i have logged in to my NAS server via Network and "not forgetting the user" is on. 

Hense as i understand it now has direct path to the server.

But if i use Native on the shield it cant find the files. But there isn't any issues with Add-on. 

On my shield i found a menu where you could add an external device. Where i added the server but this didnt work.

So after searching for a bit i found this post : https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/46311-emby-mode-nativeadd-on/

Where he basically seems to ask for the same thing. 

But i have now been trying to look for where i add these paths.. And i can't seem to find a menu on where to do it. Either in Emby under Kodi or on the Emby server.. 

I hope some one can help me with this :) It would be much apreciated.

Angelblue05

You can follow this here to get the paths added to Kodi

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/plugin.video.emby/wiki/FAQ#native-playback-mode-steps-to-locate-files

What I recommend if you can browse to your content via Kodi > add videos without actually adding them (do not complete the process), then you should have a clue of the paths you need to add to Kodi so that Kodi can see your files.

wollabille

You can follow this here to get the paths added to Kodi

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/plugin.video.emby/wiki/FAQ#native-playback-mode-steps-to-locate-files

What I recommend if you can browse to your content via Kodi > add videos without actually adding them (do not complete the process), then you should have a clue of the paths you need to add to Kodi so that Kodi can see your files.

Hi Angelblue05

Thx for your answer.. But this unfortuntely does not work on the Nvidia shield.

https://imgur.com/a/lmVmVKI

See the pics i have taken to show how it looks. 

The numbers are corresponding the pictures

01: I got file manager as you can see.

02: But i dont have an add source. But as you can see the one marked (Video) is actually the folder in my NAS where Movies and Series is. And browsing through that i can play the movies no problem.

03: I am not 100% sure how to check this. But i think it is one (something about an older post i did)  but plz tell me where i can find this just to check it.

04: This is the error message im getting. Which doesnt come when using "Add-on". I used my gf's pc to add Kodi and emby and i got this error, because i had forgotten to log in to the server via network. So i logged in and saved the user. And it worked.. So thats why i think its something to do with this.

05: second error message.

Plz ask away if there is something you need me to check. But i am a bit novice when it comes to the Nvidia Shield if you need me to check something there. But ill do my best.

sualfred

You have hidden this setting (not disabled by default btw).

Go to settings -> media -> general -> enable "show add source buttons"

If this setting is not shown switch the settings level from basic to advanced or expert in the lower left of the window.

Edited by sualfred
  • Like 2

wollabille

You have hidden this setting (not disabled by default btw).

Go to settings -> media -> general -> enable "show add source buttons"

If this setting is not shown switch the settings level from basic to advanced or expert in the lower left of the window.

Cool thx.. That worked.. So now which one do i take for it to work? NFS or SMB?

5dece095df036_20191208_113600353_iOS.jpg

Edited by wollabille

sualfred

You have to answer this by yourself. If your network shares are NFS shares -> NFS, if Samba -> smb://

Go to down to "add network location" and configure it to your existing network. Just be sure that the share has the same path like you've added in the Emby server. 

For more reference check the Emby and Emby for Kodi wiki.

Edited by sualfred
  • Like 1

wollabille

You have to answer this by yourself. If your network shares are NFS shares -> NFS, if Samba -> smb://

Go to down to "add network location" and configure it to your existing network. Just be sure that the share has the same path like you've added in the Emby server. 

I found it thx. And the add network location came on. 

So now i added the folders via NFS no issues there. But it did not work, same error as pic 4 and 5 in.

But according to pic 3 it actually tells me that it needs SMB. And my Synology has SMB enabled. But where is this path sub on the server?

I went into the server again and in library i checked if there was something called path sub.

Is this it? :

5ded65c5e23f4_01.png

And when clicking on that..

5ded65d25bdff_02.png

I mean its the same path.. So am i doing something wrong?  (obviously i am) but what is it i am not getting.

sualfred

You only can answer it by yourself. It's your network, not mine or ours. You configured it with it's share and used protocols. 

The first row is the path that emby is using and the second and optional shared network path is the path substitution that Emby 4 Kodi is using in native playback or let's call it "the path that all devices in the network can access"

If you don't know what you are doing (don't take it personal) I suggest you to use the addon playback. It does not require any native access to files.

Edited by sualfred

wollabille

Thats just the thing. When its about network i should know what I'm doing. I am no genius at it, but i work with IT on a daily basis. 

And as i wrote, i can make it work with my PC, where i found out it was because i had my network path set up and logged in:

5ded701492cd6_01.png

Once i have this set up, i can use Native on the 4 PC's i got running in this house hold! 

But when it comes to this Shield!! thats where i had to throw in the towel into the ring, and even if i tried to search for posts, those posts where either obsolete. 

But don't take my comment personal, i dont feel you're helping when you just write, "it's your network".

I am asking where to put in the info that this message is telling me:

5ded70fda8c80_ZkrDDas.jpg

And just to take one of those posts i have found as an example : https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/43445-where-has-path-substitution-gone-to/

Which as you can see on my previous comment i filled out (despite it no where says path substitution, hense the doubt) Only thing i didnt do was restart the server tbh.

And to me the only thing you seem to focus is that i should know my network.. Again I'm not throwing mud to aggravate you

As you write: The first row is the path that emby is using 

The second and optional shared network path is the path substitution that Emby 4 Kodi is using in native playback or let's call it "the path that all devices in the network can access"

And this is set up on my server which is a small NUC running. 

And back in the day when i had to set it up i added by browsing my way into the folder

5ded74757b96c_02.png

Where you clearly can see my "hells_prison" which is my synology and then choose the paths for movies and series.

But the optional server??? I mean thats just the same path!? and yet it does not work... Again, ONLY on the Shield.. 

Edited by wollabille

Angelblue05

I don’t have a shield so I can’t help you get setup.

Use addon playback mode and it will work. Disable force http in the addon settings > playback.

You can then edit your paths live and it will pick it up at playback time, this way you can test and try to get direct play to work. It’s the easiest way to troubleshoot this.

Sounds to me like the shield is not seeing your storage. You are using samba according to your screenshots. If you go to addons > install from zip > are you able to browse to your content?

Kodi thread that may be relevant:

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=252579&page=2

There’s also the thing with using name resolution vs ip address. Not sure if it’ll make a difference...

In the Emby library try the optional network field but replace the server name with it’s ip address. Then try entering it in the network location in Kodi. Note if you change the path in emby while using native playback in Kodi, you need to resync your database in Kodi to get the paths updated before testing.

The prompt is just for Kodi to see your actual files. Like you know how you’d add your local content to Kodi, well it needs to be able to locate your files to play them.

Addon playback otherwise and be done with it.

Edited by Angelblue05