Why is this video transcoding

clarkss12

clarkss12

Actually 2 part question.......

1. Why is this  1080p Blue-ray rip transcoding?

2. Why is it not playing with "DTS-HD MA", instead it is playing in "DD".

1.  There is no indication of why this video is being  transcoded......... See pics and logs.

post-38990-0-02986600-1575480561_thumb.jpg  post-38990-0-60050100-1575480616_thumb.jpg

embyserver.txt

ffmpeg-transcode-3dbf7efe-d35a-48cd-9c3c-de38f8ba4e51_1.txt

ffmpeg-transcode-ebc1685b-2834-4802-8326-96199ac6ec87_1.txt

hardware_detection-63711057065.txt

2.  This device that I am using as my client will play the "DTS-HD MA" audio codec using VLC, but not Emby or Kodi.......  Not sure what VLC uses as a player.  I have it selected in the client settings.

post-38990-0-42564700-1575480986_thumb.jpg

If you switch your streaming bitrate options to 30mb/s does it direct play?

Currently you have it set to 80 and it seems to be transcoding down to 36.

Edited by chef

12:13:19.135   Stream #0:0 (h264) -> overlay:main (graph 0)

12:13:19.135   Stream #0:6 (pgssub) -> scale (graph 0)

It's the subs. Once those are burned into the video you cannot have your DTS. DTS cannot be sent inside HLS (directstream/remux/transcoding). DTS can only be direct played. That is your reason. The app is doing the right thing to preserve the surround sound and choosing to convert the DTS into DD since it notices you have support for it.

Also.. it does tell you why. It just isn't clear that is the transcode reason since the text "Transcode reason: " isn't shown before the "Burning in subtitles".

See below.

image.png

Edited by speechles
  • Like 1

clarkss12

If you switch your streaming bitrate options to 30mb/s does it direct play?

Currently you have it set to 80 and it seems to be transcoding down to 36.

Where do I change that setting, client or server??  thanks

clarkss12

12:13:19.135   Stream #0:0 (h264) -> overlay:main (graph 0)
12:13:19.135   Stream #0:6 (pgssub) -> scale (graph 0)

It's the subs. Once those are burned into the video you cannot have your DTS. DTS cannot be sent inside HLS (directstream/remux/transcoding). DTS can only be direct played. That is your reason. The app is doing the right thing to preserve the surround sound and choosing to convert the DTS into DD since it notices you have support for it.

Also.. it does tell you why. It just isn't clear that is the transcode reason since the text "Transcode reason: " isn't shown before the "Burning in subtitles".

See below.

image.png

I really didn't understand what you were telling me, but I think I get the *jest* of it......

You saying that since I ripped the video with the subs part of the movie, and my device does NOT support the DTS-HD codec, it will transcode?? 

If I stop it from "burning in subtitles" it will not transcode??

rbjtech

If I stop it from "burning in subtitles" it will not transcode??

Correct - the most direct stream compatible form of subs is external .srt files - so either convert the embedded (Navi..) subs to forced.srt or let emby download them for you, then rename to forced.srt  Emby will then pick them up automatically when you play.  See the wiki below on naming forced subtitles.

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Subtitles

If your device supports DTS or DTS-HD (DTS-HD has a DTS core anyway), then it should direct play if using .srt subs.

Edited by rbjtech

clarkss12

Correct - the most direct stream compatible form of subs is external .srt files - so either convert the embedded (Navi..) subs to forced.srt or let emby download them for you, then rename to forced.srt  Emby will then pick them up automatically when you play.  See the wiki below on naming forced subtitles.

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Subtitles

If your device supports DTS or DTS-HD (DTS-HD has a DTS core anyway), then it should direct play if using .srt subs.

Thanks, what thru me, was that the subs were not showing.......at least that I saw.  It turns out, that the forced subtitles was selected, so the subs only showed up rarely, and I guessed I missed that........

So, as everyone on here says, when I changed the subtitle to an external sub, it changed from transcoding to Direct streaming......  I have only been glancing at that movie occasionally, and one time it showed Direct Playing, really strange.......

PGS subs themselves will not cause a transcode but it sounds like your box does not actually support DTS-HD so we had to convert that and, once you have to remux the file, the only way to display the PGS subs is to do a full transcode.

clarkss12

PGS subs themselves will not cause a transcode but it sounds like your box does not actually support DTS-HD so we had to convert that and, once you have to remux the file, the only way to display the PGS subs is to do a full transcode.

Correct, the box does not support DTS-HD, except under VLC.....   So, you are saying that the audio is transcoding and causes the PGS subs to transcode also??  

Guess I should have never brought up that "Playback Info" menu, and I would have never even noticed it transcoding........  I was just curious.  I know that embedded subs can cause transcoding (I think), but I did not see any subtitles on the screen...... and that sparked my curiosity.

Embedded subs will not cause transcoding.  The app will handle them fine in almost any format.  The issue is graphic subs needing to be delivered in conjunction with an audio conversion on the server.

In short, either choosing a compatible audio track or deselecting subs would eliminate any video transcoding here.

clarkss12

I guess I should have never brought it up because everything I play, plays perfectly.  Without that menu I would have never known it was transcoding, and even if it does transcode, so what, I don't see any negative effects, no buffering, etc.........

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
clarkss12

Are you still not seeing transcoding info on the server dashboard?

Amazing, absolutely amazing.  No transcoding.  It is showing direct stream, and that is with subtitles enabled..........

post-38990-0-61063100-1576683489_thumb.jpg  post-38990-0-12580900-1576683512_thumb.jpg

BTW, love this new interface............ Was going to make a YouTube video showing this enhancement..

post-38990-0-98195200-1576683767_thumb.jpg

Edit: Right now, the only videos that transcode, are my VC-1 encoded BlueRay rips.  The stats on the screen show "Unsupported Video", but that has always shown that message...

But transcoding reason does not show up under the server dashboard....

post-38990-0-70084500-1576684510_thumb.jpg

Edited by clarkss12

clarkss12

Now, this is really strange.  I was testing different videos, to see if any were transcoding.  I went back to Avatar and stated playing it, now it shows transcoding.  I did not touch any settings, including the subtitle selection........

I don't see anything on the server dashboard showing what is causing the  transcoding.

post-38990-0-92063700-1576685420_thumb.jpg

It is definitely the subtitles that are causing the transcoding.  I change to SRT subs, and it stops transcoding.

Edited by clarkss12