Stopping playback causes MBC user logoff

iam4uk

iam4uk

MBC 3.0.179

Square theme 1.5.21

Windows 7x64SP1

MB Server 3.0.5271.29451

Since updating to the MBC version 179, an odd behavior has begun happening when playback of an .mkv movie or television episode is stopped.  The MBC interface temporarily returns to the information screen for the particular movie/episode, but then that interface disappears and the User Selection/Login screen appears.

This behavior does not happen if the movie/episode stops on its own via completion of playback, but does happen if the STOP button is pressed.

My MBC setup is configured to automatically start with a particular user, rather than showing the User Selection/Login screen, so this new odd behavior affiliated with the STOP button is more "logout" than "exit."

What is happening is the auto logoff timeout is being reached.  But, I would expect the opposite behavior - if you let it end on its own, it logs off but if you hit "stop" it doesn't.  Are you sure you got that the right way around?

iam4uk

Quite sure.  "STOP" button results in logoff.  Allowing a movie/episode to play through to the end results in the appropriate return to the movie/episode info/interface screen.

I cannot reproduce this.  Can anyone else?

What is your Auto Logoff time set to?

iam4uk

Auto logoff had been set to 60 minutes.  I just disabled auto logoff, since I would not want that anyway.  I think disabling that may have bypassed the problem I stated in the OP.

fraenhawk

Ahh, didn't realize about the auto logoff. That might explain some of the unexplained phenomena we're seeing like when watching live TV (through WMC, not MB3) and all of a sudden the user logon screen comes up overlayed on what we're watching.

Ahh, didn't realize about the auto logoff. That might explain some of the unexplained phenomena we're seeing like when watching live TV (through WMC, not MB3) and all of a sudden the user logon screen comes up overlayed on what we're watching.

Really... that's interesting.

fraenhawk

Yeah, since turning off auto-logoff all my odd issues went away. My wife kept asking "who hit the remote!" when no one was near it. Sometimes it would go back to the main WMC "Start" menu with MBC choice highlighted while the live TV was still playing, or popup the pick a user screen. Not sure why sometimes one versus the other, but I'm not sure why I'd ever want a fulltime HTPC to ever log off MBC anyways.

I've always used MCE Standby Tool to take care of closing/re-opening WMC for me when putting the PCs in standby.

The auto logoff is for parental control reasons.  So you don't leave the main family machine logged in as the adult user.

fraenhawk

Ahh, okay. Might make more sense for it default to not be on then just like parental control on most systems is off until enabled.

• Like 1

No makes more sense to be on since most people would never find it otherwise.  I've increased the default time out to 3hrs though.

pelfed

I have to agree with fraenhawk

I spent hours trying to figure out why suddenly the "logon" screen with default user appeared.

Much better to turn this off by default, as IF you want parental control, then this is where this option should be. Not some random place which makes no sense and confuses the user. (like myself)

It happening when we are not the foreground application is a real problem and there doesn't seem to be any way for me to find out that is the case.  For that reason, I will either turn it off by default or eliminate the option altogether before release.