When you realize your HTPC is part of a dying breed

frankmb

• 1 year later...
kinboussous

Indeed, prevalence is frequently mistaken for quality. Accommodation is murdering the world, faster and quicker. I can't force myself to utilize any of the web-based features. Possibly one day, I'll be the remnant of a dying breed  snaptube vidmate word to pdf

Edited by kinboussous

• 3 weeks later...
dredd1963

Hi

In my house we still use a htpc in the living room ( I would say that the pc usage is 95&% htpc). We also have 2boxes that emby installed. I also watch on my server while doing disks. 1 tablet used in the bathroom to listen to audio plays will soaking. 

Across 3 types of devices I would say that 40% is pc based. 

Edited by dredd1963
Missed out living

sooty234

While there are so many PC gamers, HTPCs aren't going anywhere. And now there are more PC gamers than ever. Just look at what Nvidia and AMD are doing right now. They are in a war over best PC hardware. Hardware that mostly gamers use. HTPCs have never been so strong. Most gamers will just use their gaming rig to watch media. Maybe not exclusively, but will still use their gaming rig.

• 2 weeks later...

To me a long time video enthusiast I see HTPCs as a dying breed for sure. It used to be back in the day this was really the only way to view video so you had no choice with dealing with an HTPCl, all the drives, OS, IR receivers and blaster, and all the software issues that came with them.  Most people were constantly tinkering with them and unless you were dedicated or an advanced user it was a major chore.

Then people started moving to video extenders and then WD devices and things like the Boxee Box which at the time was a breeze to use compared to a HTPC.

Then we got a 3rd wave of devices such as the Rokus and similar which made local and remote media very easy to consume and didn't require a doctorate to keep running.

Now with 4th and 5th generation devices like Shields the need for an HTPC is all but not needed for most people.  Of course some people will always want an HTPC but THEY are the dying breed of user. :)

Edited by cayars
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
CharleyVarrick
On 11/30/2019 at 10:46 AM, Jdiesel said:

A Hummer H2 is the vehicle equivalent of a HTPC.

Then I guess I have a Hot Wheels Hummer; Intel NUC  featuring tiny footprint, low a/c usage) integrated IR for rc, no moving parts (dead silent)

Edited by jlr19

CharleyVarrick
41 minutes ago, cayars said:

"Hot Wheels Hummer"

That's funny stuff!

Hi Cayars,

couldn't be happier with the NUC.

its predecessor was more of an actual Hummer

The outside looked really slick , but had endless list of design flaws inside.

Bummer

https://cdn.alzashop.com/ImgW.ashx?fd=f3&cd=CT121c

Edited by jlr19

26 minutes ago, jlr19 said:

Hi Cayars,

couldn't be happier with the NUC.

What software are you running on it?

CharleyVarrick
28 minutes ago, cayars said:

What software are you running on it?

Guessing you meant software for media, I use Kodi (Emby for Kodi flavor).

When Kodi is too busy catching up* with major updates, we fallback to embyweb on FF.

* As in when I fire up Kodi, its needs to sync with Emby server, if little to no updates to do, this takes a few seconds at most.

When I have tinkered heavily with emby and/or windows media libraries, Kodi needs waaaay more time to catchup, hence plan B. 

Edited by jlr19

I don't know if I would deal with non Android ATV UI at this point. :)

Do you use Youtube, Hulu, Netflix or Amazon as well?

CharleyVarrick
2 hours ago, cayars said:

I don't know if I would deal with non Android ATV UI at this point. :)

Do you use Youtube, Hulu, Netflix or Amazon as well?

I get premium telcom package, so short answer is none of the above.

Edited by CharleyVarrick

One2Go

Same here Intel NUC with an i-7 but I have Win 7 installed on it and run EMC with the awesome Throgsoft themes. Using external players MPC for everything except using PDVD for Blu-Ray rips and DVD rips. Once madVR is setup than I only have to deal with updates for LAV decoders and madVR. the rest runs just flawless and no more updates needed for any of the OS or external players. The other services like Netflix, Paramount+ and Peacock all run on a Roku Ultra next to it including a 2nd Emby server on a NAS for Live TV. To change the devices one click on the Logitech remote  and my Denon AV Receiver switches the inputs. As they say in the UK it is a doddle.

My first HTPC was a Shuttle SG33G5M Deluxe which is still connected and running Win 7 with Media Browser 2,6 as back up in case the primary HTPC fails.

Edited by One2Go

lurch9366
On 12/1/2019 at 8:26 AM, ebr said:

It isn't about convenience, it is about need.

95%+ of media consumers no longer need an htpc to get what they want.

full stop.

Late last year I decommissioned my HTPC in favor of a qnap 653d as a emby server and as a it has a hdmi port I can still browse the web in the rare occasion I need to. I use a Nvidia shield for my front end. Everything just works. No more sleepless nights trying to get something back online so the family can watch tv/movies the next day. WAF is way up and I can spend my time on other things!!! 

• Like 1