'Watch status' syncing between multiple entries with same tvdbid

Zura01

I'm using 2 metadata providers: AniDB as main and TVDB for images.

Let's say I have two TV series. They have different names ('Some Series (2017)' and 'Some Series (2018)') and different entries in AniDB but TVDB has only one entry for both of them. Normally those would be merged under the same library entry (as emby is using tvdbid as key for that) but I've unchecked the 'merge series' option in library settings. The problem now is that even though both of them show as different series in my library they still have the same tvdbid and for some reason emby is syncing episode progress between them. So if I watch EP1 of the first series EP1 of the second series is also marked as "watched". The only way of preventing that is deleting or changing tvdbid of one of those series to some random value, but:

1. It's annoying

2. It's probably not supposed to work this way

3. I can't easily download images from TVDB for the second series.

I suppose this is a bug so there won't be an easy fix. I just hope this get's fixed some day.

EDIT: One way to fix this would be to use the main/first metadata provider ID as 'merging key' instead of always using tvdbID

Edited by Zura01

Happy2Play

This is by design.  All userdata for played/resume is tracked by externalid/providerid so any item with the same externalid will have the same results.  

This is by design.  All userdata for played/resume is tracked by externalid/providerid so any item with the same externalid will have the same results.  

Fine, ut why is TVDB used by default? In this case I can't really use TVDB as secondary metadata source because it will mess up my library

Fine, ut why is TVDB used by default? In this case I can't really use TVDB as secondary metadata source because it will mess up my library

What would you prefer as the default?

Happy2Play

I believe Emby actually uses all the external providerids in userdata.  I only have the default providers so I can't verify right now.

What would you prefer as the default?

Wouldn't top/first 'Series metadata provider' be best? Or better prioritize provider Id's by order in library settings. As @@Happy2Play says emby uses all external providers Id, but for some reason when TVDB ID is set it's prioritzed over all other providers.

EDIT: Why would those series be merged when only TVDB ID is the same and others are not?

Edited by Zura01

Wouldn't top/first 'Series metadata provider' be best?

That would probably make sense yes, it's just been this way for a long time, since before we even had metadata provider priorities. Even adding a setting for this now would be difficult because if you change it, it will feel like a destructive change with all watch data being reset. So before we could do that, we have to be willing to take on all of that troubleshooting as well as the work that will come with it.

That would probably make sense yes, it's just been this way for a long time, since before we even had metadata provider priorities. Even adding a setting for this now would be difficult because if you change it, it will feel like a destructive change with all watch data being reset. So before we could do that, we have to be willing to take on all of that troubleshooting as well as the work that will come with it.

Thanks for the answer. So how is it working right now? Is TVDB ID used to identify same series if only it's available? Is only one ID used at the time or all avaliable providerIDs? I'm looking for the best option to fix it for me.

Happy2Play

It is hard to say why they are not merge without specific examples and testing your exact setup.

It is hard to say why they are not merge without specific examples and testing your exact setup.

I'll look into this tomorrow and try to come up with better scenario.

For series it uses the tvdb id if available, if not then imdb id, and if that's not available, then it's just our internal database id.

This is something that probably should be changed, it's just that it will be hard due to the challenges I mentioned above. 

Happy2Play

For series it uses the tvdb id if available, if not then imdb id, and if that's not available, then it's just our internal database id.

This is something that probably should be changed, it's just that it will be hard due to the challenges I mentioned above. 

But if lets say you have other fetchers, are they prioritized in any way?

They have no impact on how user data is stored for that series. Again the metadata provider priorities came long after this was already built.