File stacking completely borked on 4.3.0.30 (unRAID docker)

PandaCheeseEmby
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

PandaCheeseEmby

Brand new user coming from Plex. Really pleased with Emby's ability to transcode older file formats. I am stomped however with file stacking. I have a bunch of non-movie videos, arranged like this in the same folder:

{name1}.jpg
{name1}-cd1.mp4
{name1}-cd2.mp4
{name2}.jpg
{name2}-cd1.mp4
{name2}-cd2.mp4
{name3}.jpg
{name3}-cd1.mp4
{name3}-cd2.mp4
{name3}-cd3.mp4

Both the browser and iOS client won't display other than the first part (*-cd1.mp4), and also won't show the cover art. I can get the cover art to show by naming it {name}-cd1.jpg, but *-cd2 etc are still not selectable. It's so weird because for a brief time it did work as expected, where I could select which part to play by selecting the auto-gen thumbnail or cover art in the library, but then it just got to the current state where the additional parts might as well not exist to Emby, without really any change that I could recall. I've played with other file stacking suffixes, all the same result. The files representing the additional parts don't show up in metadata editor either.

Just want to check if I'm missing something obvious, before I blow this container away and start over. Is it possible to have file stacking, with cover art, without having to put all parts comprising the same "video" into a dedicated folder?

Edited by PandaCheeseEmby

• Solution

Hi, I'll have to review this but I believe stacking only applies when they are in the same folder.

• Like 1

PandaCheeseEmby

Hi, I'll have to review this but I believe stacking only applies when they are in the same folder.

Appreciate the quick reply! Would be amazing if the behavior could be changed in the future to allow several "stacked" videos to exist under the same folder. What's so weird is as I said I got it to actually display multiple parts under one thumbnail/cover art even when the folder contained videos not part of the same stack for a time, but perhaps that was just a fluke.

rbjtech

If the parts really are from the same video, then why not concat them with ffmpeg etc ?  If they are separate videos, then put into separate folders (with all the benefits that brings such as metadata, searching etc) and combine the group with a collection perhaps ?

Multi-part files really are a blast from the past and support for them is not going to get much dev time if any, so personally I would invest your own time into getting them into a common, fully supported portable format.

Edited by rbjtech
  • Like 1

PandaCheeseEmby

If the parts really are from the same video, then why not concat them with ffmpeg etc ?  If they are separate videos, then put into separate folders (with all the benefits that brings such as metadata, searching etc) and combine the group with a collection perhaps ?

Multi-part files really are a blast from the past and support for them is not going to get much dev time if any, so personally I would invest your own time into getting them into a common, fully supported portable format.

Appreciate the input. The videos involved are drone footage shot at various locations. For archival and future editing purposes I prefer not to store clips from say the same city as a single video. It seems to me that given Emby already recognizes multi-part movie/TV per naming convention it wouldn't be that hard to give it the flexibility of handling it without all parts being in their own folder, but I understand that it's not a oft-requested feature.

• Like 2