Metadata stored on a differnt computer then the media

GrumpyBear2014

GrumpyBear2014

Is there a way to store the metadata on a different computer then what the media is on?  I have all of my movies, TV shows, music etc., stored on a NAS.  My HTPCs then access the NAS. 

I have put together a system that is just  going to be the Media Browser server and then I will install the Media Browser Theatre on to the HTPCs.  So I would like to have ALL the metadata on the server.  Right now the NAS has the graphics and the xml files on it. 

So am I going to be able to move all that info off of the NAS, store it on the Server or am I dreaming?  Would it be possible to do part of the information, say the graphics, being stored  on the server and the xml files on the NAS?

Idealistically I wouldn't mind having the trailers for the movies on the server too.   Right now I don't have any downloaded. 

Thoughts??

Why?  Doesn't it make more sense to keep the information directly related to the media right there with the media?

Basically, yes, you can tell MB NOT to save your metadata with your media files. BUT, if you do that, any time you need to re-build your metadata, we have to go re-download everything from the internet.  Or if you moved the server machine.  Or if you setup another server pointing at the same media.  just a whole lot less efficient that way.

Also, it puts a huge strain on the FREE services we depend on for that metadata if you go re-downloading all of it more than is really necessary.

So, all that is to say, the short answer is yes, but I don't recommend it.

AdrianW

30GB of metadata? Are you sure?

I have a Qnap NAS and Windows reports totally incorrect sizes for small files - read this thread.

GrumpyBear2014

The "why" is because when you have 30+G of metadata stored on the NAS it frees up a bit more space on the NAS.  The NAS is at it's maximum for capacity for expansion.  The longer I can keep without having to update hardware the better.

My questions then would be why would I need to re-build my metadata?  It is on a dedicated server.  It's sole purpose in life is to make everybody happy by giving them access to the library.  So it won't even get moved.  It will get sucked up into the server room with the rest of the machines.  Only to be seen come spring and fall cleaning.  :) 

So wouldn't be needing another server pointing at the media. 

Please don't ruin my dream! 

Yes -

advanced -> paths -> metadata path

That setting isn't going to do what he is really asking for.  He wants to be sure his metadata isn't stored with his media which is:

Metadata -> Save Artwork and Metadata into media folders

Metadata is extremely cheap compared to video files.  I'd be very surprised if you had 30GB of it but, you can do this by simply un-checking the above option.

techywarrior

Metadata is extremely cheap compared to video files.  I'd be very surprised if you had 30GB of it but, you can do this by simply un-checking the above option.

Unless he has trailers or something....

Still a pretty weird request. If the other server is going to be reliable you could also just store some of your media on it. Add a new library path to one of your libraries. It will all show up together in MB3 so shouldn't effect you much. Of course if your NAS has redundancy and your new server doesn't then you would be losing redundancy on those movies/files moved.

GrumpyBear2014

Gee I didn't think it was that weird of a request.  Guess I am just weird in the fact that I want all my info stored in one spot and my media on another.  Computers don't seem to mind that they have to look somewhere different then in the same spot.  They are pretty smart in that respect. 

But yes.  The NAS is RAID with all my media backed up to a secondary system. 

Yes the  server that I have  for the server side on MB 3 is also RAID with it being backed up to a external drive. 

I have been able to get the metadata and xml files to load where I want them, however I am still not able to get the movie trailers to store anywhere else but in the folder of that movie.  As EBR said the video trailers are the biggest issue.  (And yes I guess you need to be surprised, just as much as I was when I cleaned up the folders as to how much space was being used.)  Having the trailers is a nice feature as my wife will ask what that movie is about.  Being able to click on the trailer would be handy, but only if I can store it off of the NAS. 

Thanks for the information that you have given me already. 

GrumpyBear2014

Thanks Luke.  Guess I won't install the trailer plugin on the server.   I have been running MB 3 through it paces and getting the feel of it on my "work" machine. 

It's not a weird request at all. As you can see, you can already route metadata to the folder of your choice. Not local trailers, but you never know down the line.