10-bit VAAPI transcoding broken after 4.3 upgrade

nz_monkey

nz_monkey

Hey Team,

After upgrading from the latest 4.2 release to 4.3.0.26 my machine will no longer transcode using hardware.  

VAAPI appears as an option under the transcoding settings, but it does not work when playing a movie.

Log attached.

Edited by nz_monkey

Hi there, try setting your hardware acceleration setting from advanced to yes. Please see if that helps. Thanks.

nz_monkey

Hi @@Luke

With encoding set to "yes" it does the same thing..

The log indicates that it tries to use HW encoding via ffmpeg but that a profile is not available??     This is on an 8th gen i3 which was working beautifully on 4.2.x

nz_monkey

OK, after the change suggeted by @@softworkz Emby is now decoding in software and encoding (h.264) in hardware.

Is this problem specific to all HEVC decode on 4.3.0 with VAAPI ?

Edited by nz_monkey

OK, after the change suggeted by @@softworkz Emby is now decoding in software and encoding (h.264) in hardware.

Is this problem specific to all HEVC decode on 4.3.0 with VAAPI ?

10bit source videos need conversion to 8bit color. That can be a challenge itself, depending on the color model that is used by the 10bit source video (there's several cases).

Next: Where to do the conversion? Not all hw accelerations can do it at all or not all variants.

Doing it in software requires data transfer from GPU back to system, then do conversion by CPU, afterwards upload to GPU again for encoding.

And then this needs to be combined with scaling, deinterlacing and overlay (for subtitle burn-in).

Which of these can be done in hardware, which in software?

And in which order to do the processing? 

The capabilities can vary depending on the actual hardware, the OS version and the graphics driver.

That means that there's not a single way - there are a lot! And all those need to be developed and tested.

But the good news is that we're working on it!

• Like 1

puithove

Sorry, no, not intended to show 10-bit - it is in fact not 10-bit... The original post title seemed to be saying that VAAPI was broken in general, so I was just saying that VAAPI does still work.  I see the title has been updated now.

Edited by puithove