remote access to media browser server out lan is very slow

Beardyname

Beardyname

And I more thing how can I know who is connected to my server outside lan.

Only the users you have setup can connect to the server :)

And this will heavily depend on your connection speed, do as Luke suggested and try some other app first.

What is your upstream internet bandwidth from the machine where the server is?

I have done Port forwading for my media browser server recently.

Now I can connect my server outside my lan but it is running very slow movie takes ages to play and even after starting it lags too much.I dont know what's the reason?? Is it normal??Is there any way to make it smooth any changes required in the settings in MB server cofiguration ?? By the way I m using MBT outside my Lan.

And I more thing how can I know who is connected to my server outside lan.

MBT hasn't been heavily tested in this scenario yet. How do our other apps perform?

ab123ga

I've used my server via the internet with little issue or no issue. The only thing that does not work flawlessly is live TV. I can watch movies or recorded TV remotely /w no issue. 

I have also tried web client it is also lagging.May be I should try MBC.

Actually sometimes It even laggs on devices connected to lan.

My Internet upload speed is 0.5mbps and download speed is 2mbps

When someome is connected on local network I can see it in active devices but it is not working for connection outside my lan.

Beardyname

I have also tried web client it is also lagging.May be I should try MBC.

Actually sometimes It even laggs on devices connected to lan.

My Internet upload speed is 0.5mbps and download speed is 2mbps

When someome is connected on local network I can see it in active devices but it is not working for connection outside my lan.

I'm sorry to say so but, 0.5mbps won't do high def very well. Try using the web-client with some of the lower settings (240p, 360p) if that fails as well It might be that your server machine is not power full enough to do the trans-coding needed. Check CPU usage when you are trying to watch something through the web-client and you should have your answer :)

I'm sorry to say so but, 0.5mbps won't do high def very well. Try using the web-client with some of the lower settings (240p, 360p) if that fails as well It might be that your server machine is not power full enough to do the trans-coding needed. Check CPU usage when you are trying to watch something through the web-client and you should have your answer :)

Forget Hi-Def.  I'm not sure that is going to stream video of just about any kind.

Sorry, but that bandwidth simply won't work for trying to stream off site.

ok   :(

so I can use local devices which are connected to lan but not outside lan with that speed.

I can change my internet plan what is the ideal speed for streaming outside lan ?

Edited by Sahil

Deathsquirrel

Ideal speed would be something more than your highest movie bit-rate.  What that is depends on how you encode your files but it's probably between 10 and 20Mbps.  So a bit more than that for a single stream with no transcoding.

More realistically, if you're in the US anyway, you can do SD pretty easily with a typical 3-10MBit upstream cable connection.

Chillout

Remote web viewer is limited by: bandwidth and the server CPU.

If you are experiencing studdering at even very low quality 128kbs, its probably your server CPU.is not fast enough to transcode on the fly.

I found remote web access works quite well but does require some tweaking:

1.  Go to http://www.speedtest.net/ and run it on your server and client.  You care about Upload speed on the server and download speed on the client.

2. On your client, bottom right corner while you play video (cogged wheel icon) lets you set the bandwidth/quality setting. Select the quality that matches the lowest upload/download speeds of your server and client. This is a starting point, you may need to tweak this a bit.  Ideally you want to find the highest setting possible without studdering.  

3. On the fly transcoding is very server CPU intensive. My server (i7-3770, 3.9Ghz) pegs at 80% utilized while transcoding @1080 and I have to turn off other high CPU tasks like MCE Buddy to keep the stream steady.

Notes:

The quality setting lets you lower the bitrate quality so it plays fine over just about any bandwidth.

I use this on my iphone over LTE,  hotel wifi on my laptop, at my cottage using Asus Chromebox over the neighbors wifi.   

I have not found a way to select extensions to allow them to play naively without forcing a transcode.

It would be nice to set the transcoding speed faster than realtime to allow fast forwarding.

Edited by Chillout
  • Like 1

Good day,

Lowering the movie/media bitrate the the key factor here when doing converting, as will it may help a lots doing the 1080p to 720p.

My best