SSD cache drive with SSD OS drive??

Lee

Ok here's one for the more technically gifted than me, I'm breaking my mitx client pc and was wondering if it would be worth trying to speed my server up with the SSD as a cache drive??

I've got a SSD OS drive, I was thinking I could cache the data drives... Intel rst will do that in raid settings won't it???

Is there any point?/significant gains??

Cheers in advance

Lee

bloodtaker

Only real purpose for this is if the data drive house games and what not. Cache drives are great at bring a mechanical drive up to a higher speed when it comes to locating the files, still not as quick as a ssd with the same files on it.

For movies it would be slightly quicker to locate the files but would offer no other benefit besides location.

Think of it like this.  SSD are great for quick boot and quick loading into games but once there no benefits are had except with loading times ala changing maps and what not.

In BattleField 4 a SSD will load the game and map within 20 seconds and a HDD will load the game and map anywhere between 1 min. to 4 min.

In cache ssd/hdd for movies it would help with finding them when doing a search on the harddrive but when playing or loading them would see maybe a slight load time difference when loading it but a hdd will still be plenty fast enough for 1080p movies to load and watch at the same time.

Edited by bloodtaker
  • Like 1

I reckon I might be just as well getting more ram to improve seek times??

bloodtaker

Are you talking about fast forward like seek or just searching the media files through media browser? Ram would help on both but not a whole lot. My server computer is pretty puny.

AMD Phenom II 910e(energy efficent) @2.6ghz, 8gb ram, 7770 gpu, 500gb 5400rpm hdd, and then a lot of external hdd's for storage.

Yeah just search and load times. I'm on a haswell i5 so plenty of horses!