Wrong ip adress on local network

Morraf
Go to solution Solved by Happy2Play,

So I'm new to Emby but I have some experience running Plex. I have installed the Emby server on my Windows PC and I can go to http://localhost:8096 to watch content. However I mostly enjoy content on my tv using my Chromecast that I control with my Android Phone. I downloaded the Android app and it discovers my server but I cannot connect. When I click the tile with my server name in the app, it loads for a while and then gives me errors that it cannot connect.

In the Emby Server dashboard I can se my connection details as a private ip: http://10.10.0.9:8096/ I have tried setting this manually in the app but it can still not connect. As of what I understand shouldn't this ip be something more like "192.168.1.3" that my Plex app has? I have tried setting a local address like this in the advanced tab but that resulted in an empty adress in the dashboard.  I have also unticked the "Allow remote connections to this server" option as I understood that its only for remote access e.g over the internet.

How do I set a local address that works on my internal network?

Edited by Morraf

Guest asrequested

If your phone is connected to your network, it should work. You're saying it isn't? The 192 address is your external address, you should be connecting to the local address.

If your phone is connected to your network, it should work. You're saying it isn't? The 192 address is your external address, you should be connecting to the local address.

Yep, it is connected, its an oneplus 6 running Android 10 if that matters. 

I don't have a 192 address, only the one beginning on 10.

Happy2Play

So I'm new to Emby but I have some experience running Plex. I have installed the Emby server on my Windows PC and I can go to http://localhost:8096 to watch content. However I mostly enjoy content on my tv using my Chromecast that I control with my Android Phone. I downloaded the Android app and it discovers my server but I cannot connect. When I click the tile with my server name in the app, it loads for a while and then gives me errors that it cannot connect.

In the Emby Server dashboard I can se my connection details as a private ip: http://10.10.0.9:8096/ I have tried setting this manually in the app but it can still not connect. As of what I understand shouldn't this ip be something more like "192.168.1.3" that my Plex app has? I have tried setting a local address like this in the advanced tab but that resulted in an empty adress in the dashboard.  I have also unticked the "Allow remote connections to this server" option as I understood that its only for remote access e.g over the internet.

How do I set a local address that works on my internal network?

So you have two networks on your LAN (10.10.xxx.xxx and 192.168.xxx.xxx)?  Sounds like a double nat situation.

So you have two networks on your LAN (10.10.xxx.xxx and 192.168.xxx.xxx)?  Sounds like a double nat situation.

Hmm I just realized my VPN is on my computer. I just disconnected it and now Embry shows that it is on 192.168.1.124! However phone app can still not connect.

Edit: Restarted app and now it works!

Is there a way to force Emby to not use my vpn network adapter? I didn't have this problem with Plex.

Edited by Morraf

• Solution
Happy2Play

Hmm I just realized my VPN is on my computer. I just disconnected it and now Embry shows that it is on 192.168.1.124! However phone app can still not connect.

Edit: Restarted app and now it works!

Is there a way to force Emby to not use my vpn network adapter? I didn't have this problem with Plex.

You need to bind that ip via Dashboard-Advanced "Bind to local network address:"

• Like 1

You need to bind that ip via Dashboard-Advanced "Bind to local network address:"

It worked!

Thanks for the quick response and for the help!  :)

• Like 1