Unable to connect TV

davide999

davide999

I’m trying to connect my Panasonic TV to the Emby server which is running on an iMac with macOS Catalina. Despite following the installation instruction I’m not succeeding and I don’t know why.

My set-up has both the TV and the iMac on the same network running on 5GHz. I’ve tried moving them both to 2.4 GHz but it makes no difference. The TV is using a fixed IP address and I've added this address to the White List.

From the iMac I can see the TV on the network and the Firewall is open.

The TV DLNA settings recognises the MAC address of the iMac and is permitted to access that address. The TV DLNA also has permission to access locally a Denon amplifier and Sonos speaker. When I start the Media Server on the TV it displays both the Denon and Sonos but not the TV.

​I've also noted that if I close the Emby server on the iMac I cannot restart it again without rebooting the iMac. I guess I've made a mistake somewhere as this behaviour can't be standard.

The logs don’t mean a great deal to me but I’d really appreciate it if someone could take a look and see if there’s anything obvious that I’ve missed.

Davide

embyserver-63709416338.txt

hardware_detection-63709415846.txt

davide999

It's a Panasonic GT50 which dates from 2013. Access is allowed by Mac address and I've tried both automatic and manual settings. In both cases the TV 'sees' the Mac address of the iMac and from the iMac I can 'see' the TV on the network. Despite this the media server screen on the TV only offers me connection to two other devices as seen on the attached photo.

post-539217-0-91784600-1573977336_thumb.jpg

davide999

I’ve continued to try to resolve this issue and in doing so installed Emby on a Windows 10 system on my home network. That didn’t make any difference as the TV media screen still doesn’t show Emby as a source.

Am I expecting Emby to do something it’s not designed to do?

I mean, on the Media Server screen on the TV (Panasonic GT50) I expected to see Emby as an option and by selecting it on the TV I could access the media library and ‘pull’ the media onto the TV.

As it is, by testing, I’ve seen that from the iMac I can instruct Emby to play media from the library onto the TV, in other words to ‘push’ the media.

Part of my search for a solution led me to the latest beta version of the server. The problem I encountered whereby it was not possible to open the server following it being closed has now been resolved. Progress!

Any other comments on the beta will be posted to the specific forum.

davide999

It’s possible though I’m not sure what to check.

I did read an old paper somewhere that suggested that a significant cause of a similar problem with a program that begins with P (I won’t use bad language) was that the Panasonic dated 2013 used DLNA version 1 whereas everything else had moved on.

At this time I have a system whereby the iPad instructs the media server to play on the TV. She Who Must Be Obeyed loves it, finds it easy and enjoys the capability to filter by Genre. Pressure off ;-)

When I get five minutes I’ll get an idiots guide and check out the security settings.