Behaviour Aspect Ratio "Fill"

heimer

As phones with a taller displays are by now quite popular I think the fill mode in the aspect ratio settings needs to be changed. Right now the "fill" option stretches the video to fill the the screen. I'm using an 18:9 Galaxy s10e and playing back remuxes is specifically annoying. Black bars on every side of the video. The only option I have in emby for android is to stretch the video which in my opinion makes the movie unwatchable. For now I've been resorting to switching to external players back and forth.

I think the fill option should scale up the video keeping the aspect ratio instead of stretching it. I can't imagine anyone with a wide display choosing to stretch the video instead of scaling it. The web player already has a mode for this, I think it's called 'cover'.

• Like 1

I don't use my Note8 for watching much of anything, but for a few movies I care about the most, I remove the black bars, as this movie (The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey,) it's wonderful on [Auto] aspect ratio. I mean, I want the width filled, not the height, too, this puts my widescreen with no black bars in the sweet part of the screen.

5dcd571f8c4ce_Screenshot_20191114082814_

Using any other aspect ratio than [Auto] is ridiculous on tall format phones. A regular widescreen that does have black bars, as most of my movies are, even [Auto] is unpleasant. Example below: (Star Trek: The Search for Spock.) Too much black bar. Other aspect ratio choices make the whole thing even worse.

5dcd59ee2cca1_Screenshot_20191114083649_

Using any other aspect ratio than [Auto] is ridiculous on tall format phones. A regular widescreen that does have black bars, as most of my movies are, even [Auto] is unpleasant. Example below: (Star Trek: The Search for Spock.) Too much black bar. Other aspect ratio choices make the whole thing even worse.

5dcd59ee2cca1_Screenshot_20191114083649_

That is because your remux/encode isn't cropped. Emby handles those just fine. It's the uncropped material that 'Auto' can't handle.

That is because your remux/encode isn't cropped. Emby handles those just fine. It's the uncropped material that 'Auto' can't handle.

I do know that. My point is I ONLY crop movies when I have to ... I have no intention of cropping every movie in my library. Anyhow [Auto] is the best for non cropped movies on 18:9 displays but black bars on all sides, and [Fill] stretches the sides only leaving black bars above and below and improper stretching horizontally, doesn't look good. It's sickening to look at. 

Having to crop to watch something on my phone has made me not use my phone to watch anything much. It's ok. But I would rather have the option to watch any cropped or non cropped movie all my whole device screen, beautiful as it can be, worth it if it would only work in the favor of the lesser, no cropping on my files.

No other devices I have are as annoying to use Emby with. The price I pay for an oversized phone.