Live TV quality with NextPVR

Red5ive

Red5ive

I'm running Kodi with the Emby plugin and NextPVR as the DVR backend on the same machine.

When watching non-HD shows in Kodi I've noticed that the picture quality is not as smooth as when watching it through Emby theater.

In Kodi with deinterlacing turned on pans and scrolls are juddery, like its loosing frames. If I go to the Kodi video settings and turn off deinterlacing (I only have the option of 'off' or 'DXVA') the picture is much better but I get horizontal interlacing on movements.

When running Emby theater on the same machine I get a great picture, but for usability and features really want to use Kodi with the Embruary skin.

They are both using NextPVR as the backend and the decoder in NextPVR is set to use ffdshow, though I have also tried MainConcept one.

My tuner is a Hauppauge WinTV Quad DVBT and my graphics card is a Nvidia Geforce GT710.

Can anyone offer advice to get the LiveTV the same if not better as Theater in Kodi?

sualfred

Have you turned on refresh rate changing? 

Have you set a default refresh rate for your region in the PVR settings? 50hz/60hz (pal/ntsc)?

Red5ive

I turned on refresh rate changing under Kodi display settings and set the fallback framerate to 50hz.

I was then seeing a more stable picture but my TV was then flashing  black as it changed resolution as I went into and out of live TV.

That led me to discover that my PC display settings were set to 56hz for some reason. Setting the windows display refresh to 50hz and resetting the kodi settings to default and all is good now!

I have noticed that if I change the channel by using my channel up or down buttons that the new channel will show the slight jerky movements again. If I exit (with the video still playing behind the menus) and then go back to the show it will have smoothed out again. Anyway ideas why that would be the case?

sualfred

Keep refreshrate changing activated (on start stop) and also keep 50hz as fallback. Refreshrate changing is required to get a smooth playback of 23,98,24,25,30,50,60fps items. Otherwise you will always have skipping frames and juddering (2:3 pulldown etc).

Kodi has a internal realtime framerate anyalyzation and sometimes the PVR backend is not delivering enough information of the stream for a few seconds. Forcing 50/60hz for PVR is getting rid of this issue. Live TV has always 50hz or 60hz depending on your location on the world.