Videos that previously direct played/streamed now transcoding on Roku

Skopin

blade005

That is not the problem here.  You need to do more investigation.

@@ebr

@@speechles

Agree.

1. HEVC content playing as expected.
  2. 4K HEVC content with 5.1 Audio playing as expected.
  3. 4K HEVC HDR content with 5.1 Audio playing as expected.
  4. 4K HEVC HDR content with 7.1 Audio is triggering an attempt to transcode both Video and Audio and dropping HDR.

Something has changed with how 7.1 Audio is being recognized and treated. Previously the 4K HEVC HDR video content would DIRECT STREAM and the 7.1 Audio was remuxed.

Since this has started after the recent update I have taken a few of the failing videos and created a 5.1 Audio stream from the 7.1 Audio and muxed it back into the MKV container and all plays well if 5.1 Audio is selected. Switch back to 7.1 Audio and DIRECT PLAY is broken, HDR is lost and it attempts to transcode.

Edited by blade005

I might know the reason. It is one of two things. Easy to tell.

What does the stats for nerds say when playing the file? Do you see "Direct Play Error" showing in transcode reasons? If so how many times does it say that?

1. If it shows in stats for nerds it is your files that are bad or the Roku firmware changed and now actively dislikes your Video with 7.1 Audio when fed directly. This means we cant directly play or copy that video stream as the Roku actively dislikes it because of bad firmware change or bad file.

2. If it does not show it is the Emby server. Now here is the twilight zone thing. The Emby server takes the app capabilities as advice. It isn't rules. It doesn't tell the server how to send the file. It is merely a suggestion. The Emby server can at any time send the file a different way. Because of coding. Because of user restrictions. Because of lots of things. Lets focus on hard-coded code that forces things. This 7.1 audio causes HEVC not to be copied might be server imposed. 

So we get to flip a coin. It is either 1 or 2. It cannot be both. @@Luke were changes made on the server side to impose this restriction on the Roku? I am a curious cat. Meow.. purr.. lol.

Edited by speechles

Happy2Play

The previous logs don't show the "Direct Play Error".  Why would h265 be lost as shown in the transcode log?

&VideoCodec=h264&

&TranscodeReasons=AudioCodecNotSupported

Happy2Play

From a remux log in a different post.  But this is a Roku TV.  So is there a issue with specific devices?

&VideoCodec=h264,mpeg1video,mpeg2video,hevc

&TranscodeReasons=AudioCodecNotSupported

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/78221-green-static-with-hdr/?p=794424

Edited by Happy2Play

&SubtitleMethod=Encode&

It has PGSSUB.

Stream #0:0 (hevc) -> scale (graph 0)
  scale (graph 0) -> Stream #0:0 (libx264)

Is it the subtitles causing it? The PGSSUB. In the user preferences the user can set their subtitle preference to always burn in graphical subtitles which would cause this. It would cause it to not be able to remux or direct stream since it has to encode subtitles too.

Is that what is happening here? Are you 100% sure subtitles are not enabled for this?
Edited by speechles

blade005

&SubtitleMethod=Encode&

It has PGSSUB.

Is it the subtitles causing it? The PGSSUB. In the user preferences the user can set their subtitle preference to always burn in graphical subtitles which would cause this. It would cause it to not be able to remux or direct stream since it has to encode subtitles too.

Is that what is happening here? Are you 100% sure subtitles are not enabled for this?

I am not the OP that had files with PGSSUB. All of my files contain SRT subtitles and every video that contains 7.1 Audio that played correctly with HDR intact on a Roku TV previously are now attempting to transcode both the video and audio, dropping HDR.

Perhaps it is possible that the hundreds of videos I have with 7.1 Audio are all bad and I was just lucky that the previous version of Emby Roku would DIRECT STREAM the video with HDR intact and remux the audio. But, if I take the same video with 7.1 Audio that fails in Emby Roku app and drop it onto a flash drive, plug it into USB port of Roku TV and use the Roku Media Player the video plays with HDR intact.

Perhaps it is possible that the hundreds of videos I have with 7.1 Audio are all bad and I was just lucky that the previous version of Emby Roku would DIRECT STREAM the video with HDR intact and remux the audio. But, if I take the same video with 7.1 Audio that fails in Emby Roku app and drop it onto a flash drive, plug it into USB port of Roku TV and use the Roku Media Player the video plays with HDR intact.

It might be your HEVC videos are not the color space associated with HDR that I erroneously assumed they would be. The field I used to detect HDR vs SDR. That field on the server is not-ready-for-prime-time. I didn't know this when I made that change. In all my tests with my test HEVC video I didn't notice some were transcoding. I just made notes which played.

This is why it might be the change I made and reverted causing this. If that is the case the next Roku Beta will solve this. That is my thinking. ^_~

Edited by speechles

blade005

It might be your HEVC videos are not the color space associated with HDR that I erroneously assumed they would be. The field I used to detect HDR vs SDR. That field on the server is not-ready-for-prime-time. I didn't know this when I made that change. In all my tests with my test HEVC video I didn't notice some were transcoding. I just made notes which played.

This is why it might be the change I made and reverted causing this. If that is the case the next Roku Beta will solve this. That is my thinking. ^_~

Possible. But the STATS FOR NERDS is showing that the reason for transcoding is that AUDIO CHANNELS ARE NOT SUPPORTED. I am guessing that when this occurs then HDR video is lost. Previously I believe if 7.1 Audio was detected it would just remux the Audio to 5.1 and allow the video to DIRECT STREAM with HDR intact.

Review my post #26 in this thread. 4K HEVC HDR Video with 5.1 Audio are being detected and played properly. 4K HEVC HDR Video with 7.1 Audio is attempting to transcode video and audio and that is when HDR is lost. I have placed a 5.1 Audio track in some of these files that were failing with 7.1 Audio tracks only and with 5.1 Audio selected the video is DIRECT PLAYED with HDR intact.

As I already stated - this is NOT the problem here...

As I already stated - this is NOT the problem here...

It is my guilty conscience. That change I made was breaking. If it didn't cause this by all means I apologize for what I did break.. Whatever that was. It had consequences that change I made just not sure where. That was why the quick revert. I was told that field I used in capabilities was not actually useful for other than display. and.. OMG.. I pushed that and used it for logic and saw it merged... <insert f-word here>.. then I raced to correct that mistake. If it isn't the problem here than I can bow out of accept blame. :)

Edited by speechles

&SubtitleMethod=Encode&

It has PGSSUB.

It has nothing to do with the subs. I am 100% positive that I do not have the subs enabled, so there would be no reason to transcode the video since it doesn't need to burn the subs into the video. Also, the the videos played without any issues last week. Same subs embedded in the file, same audio track, etc. I made no changes on my end. As blade mentioned above, this only appears to be affecting videos with a 7.1 audio track; videos with 5.1 tracks are not transcoded and the entire video direct plays with no issue, including HDR. 

Is there any way the most recent change to the server/Roku app can be reverted so I can continue to watch my HDR movies while the troubleshooting continues for this? As of right now, I cannot watch these movies.

blade005

Hi.  Can you please try the beta version of the Roku app and see if it solves this?

Thanks.

@@ebr

Tested Beta Version Build 192 and 4K HEVC HDR video with 7.1 Audio. It is now showing HDR properly with a DIRECT STREAM of video and REMUX of 7.1 Audio.

UPDATE:

I initially reported no audio output for any audio type, but was mistaken. BETA testing 101 should have had me restart my TCL Roku TV and reset my Vizio 5.1.2 soundbar. Once I did that, the BETA 192 build seems to be working as expected with 4K HEVC HDR Video and 7.1 Audio. A DIRECT STREAM of the video and a REMUX of the audio.

Happy to provide additional feedback or do additional testing with BETA if necessary.

Thanks for the prompt response.

Edited by blade005

Hi.  Can you please try the beta version of the Roku app and see if it solves this?

Thanks.

The beta version is allowing the movies to play with HDR, and without buffering, so it seems to be back to normal on the surface. Oddly, the stats for nerds shows that both audio and video are direct playing, but the server dashboard says it is transcoding. The dashboard doesn't show any other info outside of just the word "transcoding" though. The other strange part of the stats for nerds is that it shows the bitrate as 110 Mb/s, so I'm not sure if that's accurate or not. 

post-4667-0-34983300-1573517958_thumb.jpg

In any case, from a user's perspective, the beta release seems to have resolved the issue, even if it's showing some weird info on the back end. Attaching the remux log.

ffmpeg-remux-809554c7-ec88-4367-824c-c7772877856f_1.txt

You must have changed your user settings to disable transcoding for that user. The server dashboard is following what the capabilities must tell it. But it is override that by your user setting. This is why the Roku gets TRUEHD sent directly. Normally that will not direct play and there is no detection for that in the app. We do not allow TRUEHD to direct play. You have to be forcing via user settings on the Roku no transcoding. You can safely turn off forcing direct play and no transcoding for that user. The bug has been corrected as far as not remux/directstream when it should be. 

Are you saying you get sound with forcing direct play and TRUEHD shows (Direct) on stats for nerds? If so what type of Roku is this model name and model number?

I can figure based on model number or if this is a RokuTV which brand/model number would then have TRUEHD support without detection or mention of it. Sometimes this happens and the device can play and decode the codec. The manufacturer never mentions it. This happens with DTS-HD as well on some models it can actually pass-through 8 channels. But I believe these only to be higher end RokuTV. These cost several thousand dollars. No I do not presently have one to test on.. lol.

Let us know if you heard sound with TRUEHD direct playing and the model name and number of your Roku (and brand if a RokuTV). Thanks. :)

Edited by speechles

Happy2Play

You must have changed your user settings to disable transcoding for that user. The server dashboard is following what the capabilities must tell it. But it is override that by your user setting. This is why the Roku gets TRUEHD sent directly. Normally that will not direct play and there is no detection for that in the app. We do not allow TRUEHD to direct play. You have to be forcing via user settings on the Roku no transcoding. You can safely turn off forcing direct play and no transcoding for that user. The bug has been corrected as far as not remux/directstream when it should be. 

Are you saying you get sound with forcing direct play and TRUEHD shows (Direct) on stats for nerds? If so what type of Roku is this model name and model number?

I can figure based on model number or if this is a RokuTV which brand/model number would then have TRUEHD support without detection or mention of it. Sometimes this happens and the device can play and decode the codec. The manufacturer never mentions it. This happens with DTS-HD as well on some models it can actually pass-through 8 channels. But I believe these only to be higher end RokuTV. These cost several thousand dollars. No I do not presently have one to test on.. lol.

Let us know if you heard sound with TRUEHD direct playing and the model name and number of your Roku (and brand if a RokuTV). Thanks. :)

But the log does not show that.

User policy for Ellie: EnablePlaybackRemuxing: True EnableVideoPlaybackTranscoding: True EnableAudioPlaybackTranscoding: True

Stream mapping:
  Stream #0:0 -> #0:0 (copy)
  Stream #0:1 -> #0:1 (truehd (native) -> ac3 (native))

That log isn't from the DirectPlay attempt that they are showing on their stats for nerds on the Roku. That will not produce an ffmpeg log. That is what I am curious of. The server dashboard may just say "TRANSCODING" and nothing else because it is being overridden by the user settings that disallow that user transcoding. That is what must be happening here. The bitrate is taken from the servers "sessions" info. The server must be returning the maximum bitrate allowed in that field when a user disables transcoding. Then inside "sessions" is the transcoding information if it is transcoding. That isn't occuring. It isn't showing any "transcoding info" at all present. This is why the dashboard would just say "TRANSCODING". The dashboard must not understand what is happening. It likely never was looked at that this could happen. 

@@Luke is this what is occur? Pretty sure this is it in a nutshell.

Edited by speechles

I made no changes at all to the user settings. I downloaded the beta app using the link from ebr, then opened it when I got home and went straight into the movie. No settings were changed at all in the Roku app nor on the server. Like I said, from the user's point of view, everything worked as intended. The movie played with HDR enabled, no buffering, and the audio played without issue as well. 

The TV is a TCL 55R615.

I made no changes at all to the user settings. I downloaded the beta app using the link from ebr, then opened it when I got home and went straight into the movie. No settings were changed at all in the Roku app nor on the server. Like I said, from the user's point of view, everything worked as intended. The movie played with HDR enabled, no buffering, and the audio played without issue as well. 

The TV is a TCL 55R615.

Log in as administrator. Go to the dashboard. Go to your USERS tab on the left pane. Now find your user that has this happening in the right pane and click it. Look at the PROFILE tab.

Under MEDIA PLAYBACK find these settings:

Allow audio playback that requires transcoding
Allow video playback that requires transcoding
Allow video playback that requires conversion without re-encoding

Do those show as checked or not? All signs point to those not being checked with checkmarks.

We may be able to have a setting for RokuTV users that allows direct play of TrueHD. It does appear to downsample on the TV or support full TrueHD on some RokuTV models and there is no way to detect this. We would have to have a setting. Thanks for confirm that much and I can confirm the same on my RokuTV model 7130.
Edited by speechles

Happy2Play

Pretty sure that is what the remux log is already showing.  But @@Skopin can you post the server log and the username that is playing the media and the media being played.

I will try to get some media and test but from the information already provided there would appear to be a mismatch somewhere.

@@blade005 are you seeing the same issue in nerd stats as shown in post 42?

Log in as administrator. Go to the dashboard. Go to your USERS tab on the left pane. Now find your user that has this happening in the right pane and click it. Look at the PROFILE tab.

Under MEDIA PLAYBACK find these settings:

Allow audio playback that requires transcoding
Allow video playback that requires transcoding
Allow video playback that requires conversion without re-encoding

Do those show as checked or not? All signs point to those not being checked with checkmarks.

We may be able to have a setting for RokuTV users that allows direct play of TrueHD. It does appear to downsample on the TV or support full TrueHD on some RokuTV models and there is no way to detect this. We would have to have a setting. Thanks for confirm that much and I can confirm the same on my RokuTV model 7130.

Like I said, I made no changes at all to the settings. All four of those boxes are checked for all three users on my server.

post-4667-0-46896500-1573562182_thumb.png

Pretty sure that is what the remux log is already showing.  But @@Skopin can you post the server log and the username that is playing the media and the media being played.

I will try to get some media and test but from the information already provided there would appear to be a mismatch somewhere.

@@blade005 are you seeing the same issue in nerd stats as shown in post 42?

The user we were playing through was Ellie.

embyserver-63709113600.txt

It looks like the stats for nerds display is wrong as that item should be remuxing just like it shows in that log.

@@Skopin when did you capture that stats screen?  Was it right at the beginning of playback?