SPU Subtitle support?

manf0001

manf0001

Hello, I have a few Star Trek movies, and episodes that have a text commentary option that I've included when I ripped them to mkv files.

The problem is emby doesn't seem to support the subtitle, nor does vlc (at least not on my two linux boxes)  Although when I use the default Gnome video player it shows fine.

(a screen shot of the text commentary)

5dc22fbb1e968_textcommentary.png

Properties of the codec in VLC show it's a DVD Subtitle (SPU) and Emby just shows it as DVDSub as shown below5dc230aaf311b_embyinfo.png

I have included my ffmpeg logs, from what I can tell it says it's an unsupported subtitle.   So I'm wondering, is this something that can be added in a future update, or is there a codec that I can install on my centOS server where the emby server is running on?

Thanks

ffmpeg-transcode-55f01736-4152-44cb-956f-00187a18ec5c_1.txt

Edited by manf0001

manf0001

Hi, I think so.  In Handbrake it just shows VOBSUB like the regular subtitle track, From what I can find online SPU stands for Sub Picture Unit.

I have tried ripping the video as mp4, I get the same results as above.

But If I burn that subtitle track to the video, it seems to display fine.   Ideally I would like the option to turn that track on or off.

manf0001

Does ffmpeg support it?

I ran this command on my fedora box, ffmpeg -encoders and this is what is displayed for the subtitles it supports.  

S..... ssa                  ASS (Advanced SubStation Alpha) subtitle (codec ass)

S..... ass                  ASS (Advanced SubStation Alpha) subtitle

S..... dvbsub               DVB subtitles (codec dvb_subtitle)

S..... dvdsub               DVD subtitles (codec dvd_subtitle)

S..... mov_text             3GPP Timed Text subtitle

S..... srt                  SubRip subtitle (codec subrip)

S..... subrip               SubRip subtitle

S..... text                 Raw text subtitle

S..... webvtt               WebVTT subtitle

S..... xsub                 DivX subtitles (XSUB)

I uninstalled ffmpeg on my  desktop box and the video and subtitle played just fine.   So I'm guessing no, ffmpeg doesn't support it.     If I'm able to figure out what codec it uses and I install it on my centos box, will Emby utilize it or does it have to be in ffmpeg?