Is there any summary of how using downloaded media works?

Mike-G

Android Mobile 3.0.87

I'm trying to download a bunch of media from my Emby Server, and then restrict what I'm playing on the phone to only the downloaded files (i.e., completely disconnect from access to the Emby Server). I'm starting off with music only, but will expand to other media.  I'm using a Galaxy S10 with the Emby media downloaded to an External SD card.

I thought that by downloading the media and then changing the server to "My Downloads" that I would get the same functionality I get when the app is pointing to the server directly.  But that's not what I'm seeing.  It appears that the app is treating the "My Downloads" server selection as a shortcut to the folder of what was downloaded, and the server context is never actually changed. For instance, when changing the server to "My Downloads", the Home icon still takes me back to the server I downloaded from. And if I logout from the server, the home icon takes me to a login prompt.

It also seems to me that the functionality available for playing/managing downloaded files is significantly restricted compared to when those same files are accessed directly from the server (using the Android Mobile app on the phone for both).  For example, I can find no way to display the downloaded music by artist (it seems limited to display by the actual downloaded folders, which appear to be the albums).

Is there any description of the functionality provided in the Android Mobile app for working with downloaded files?  My searches found how to do the downloads (which I am able to do), but not how the app actually deals with them.  In my ignorance, I'm expecting that the only difference I would see as a user when changing servers from an actual Emby Server to My Downloads would be the media available with all the other functionality accessible (sorting, playlists, etc.), which doesn't seem to be the case, so I'm reluctant to submit a series of feature requests if I'm fundamentally misunderstanding how things are intended to work.

Edited by Mike-G

I thought that by downloading the media and then changing the server to "My Downloads" that I would get the same functionality I get when the app is pointing to the server directly.  But that's not what I'm seeing.  It appears that the app is treating the "My Downloads" server selection as a shortcut to the folder of what was downloaded, and the server context is never actually changed. For instance, when changing the server to "My Downloads", the Home icon still takes me back to the server I downloaded from. And if I logout from the server, the home icon takes me to a login prompt.

You are correct. You can't really logout from My Downloads. My Downloads is just a folder of content that you can click on to browse and play.

It also seems to me that the functionality available for playing/managing downloaded files is significantly restricted compared to when those same files are accessed directly from the server (using the Android Mobile app on the phone for both).  For example, I can find no way to display the downloaded music by artist (it seems limited to display by the actual downloaded folders, which appear to be the albums).

Correct, it hasn't caught up feature-wise yet, but gradually it is getting there.

Thanks for the replies, Luke.  Glad to know I was [mostly] correct in understanding what I observed.

I'll keep watch for future updates that enhance the functionality dealing with downloads. 

Speaking only for myself, If I may suggest/request the additional ways to find/sort/organize music tracks be weighed as particularly important when prioritizing enhancements.  Trying to find specific songs among thousands, when the only way they are organized among the downloads is by album, can be rather tedious (for example, many times I can remember the song's artist but not the name of the album). Playlists would be a close second for me.

• Agree 1

Thanks for the feedback. Over time the goal would be to make it identical to browsing libraries from the server.

• 3 years later...
tubensandwich

Any update on this? It's been over 3 years and this is still an issue. I'm also experiencing the issues of downloads stuck in 'Ready for Transfer' and shuffling downloads playing a single song and quitting (two issues mentioned on other posts). Utilizing downloads was one of the main reasons I upgraded to premier, and now I'm wondering if doing so was a mistake. 

• Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/25/2023 at 8:42 PM, tubensandwich said:

Any update on this? It's been over 3 years and this is still an issue. I'm also experiencing the issues of downloads stuck in 'Ready for Transfer' and shuffling downloads playing a single song and quitting (two issues mentioned on other posts). Utilizing downloads was one of the main reasons I upgraded to premier, and now I'm wondering if doing so was a mistake. 

@tubensandwich have you checked the Downloads section in the server? Are they all ready to transfer, or are any showing as failed?

tubensandwich
14 minutes ago, Luke said:

@tubensandwich have you checked the Downloads section in the server? Are they all ready to transfer, or are any showing as failed?

They were all ready to transfer, I couldn't find any failures. I noticed if I canceled some, others would sometimes start. It's like there were problem songs/albums that would prevent any downloads from continuing until they were canceled, but no indication of which particular ones were causing the hold up, so it was a manual guess and check process. I still have about 3 or 4 albums I am unable to get working, but I am mostly over that. The more important issue to me is not being able to shuffle downloads (playing one song and quitting). I also noticed Downloads don't display at all in Android Auto, but that's another issue entirely. 

29 minutes ago, tubensandwich said:

They were all ready to transfer, I couldn't find any failures. I noticed if I canceled some, others would sometimes start. It's like there were problem songs/albums that would prevent any downloads from continuing until they were canceled, but no indication of which particular ones were causing the hold up, so it was a manual guess and check process. I still have about 3 or 4 albums I am unable to get working, but I am mostly over that. The more important issue to me is not being able to shuffle downloads (playing one song and quitting). I also noticed Downloads don't display at all in Android Auto, but that's another issue entirely. 

What version of android is your device running?

• 2 weeks later...