Roku Announcement

Luke

Team,

We (Ebr, Scottisafool, Abobader) and myself have decided to release a new Roku app that will immediately become the official app for Media Browser. As many of you are aware, there has been some conflict here in regards to our Roku apps that has led to the current app being privatized and removed from our open source repository.

Unfortunately that is not a sustainable solution for us in the long run, as it gives us no security in the event these individuals decide to leave the team. So we're working on a new app so that it can be given back to you, the people.

The app will once again be open for pull requests, and anyone who wishes to contribute to the project will be allowed to do so. Whether it's testing, designing, developing, or just advising, we want everyone to be a part of it. The app will be available in the Roku store, and friendly Now TV Zip files will also be downloadable here on the forum.

And I assume you guys like features. We have a long list of new features coming to the new app, including remote control. So stay tuned for it's availability.

• Like 6

techywarrior

Sad to hear about the behind the scene issues.

I'm very excited to see the new Roku app with all these new features you speak of. I am sure once it's out you'll get a whole new list of feature requests :)

• Like 1

Long list of feature requests, but people are already contacting us to help out. It will be fun :)

• Like 1

Koleckai Silvestri

Looking forward to where this goes. Different ideas and different channels can only lead to a bit of innovation. Hopefully we'll see more clients offer some of the newer features of the server a little faster over the long term.

• Like 1

bloodtaker

I myself do not have the Roku but if there is anything needed just keep me informed.

• Like 2

swhitmore

Good work guys. I've never owned a Roku myself, but choice is never a bad thing. Hopefully we can all learn for each other and work together as a community.

• Like 3

sfnetwork

Being open source will make this client grow so much faster. 

Very sorry for the reasons behind it but it is what it needs to be; opened. This could really attract very skilled dev to the team. MBS is growing so fast so this can be, for Roku a very promising road.

Remote; very exciting feature (and necessary IMO) for Roku  :D

Edited by sfnetwork
  • Like 1

Yogi

As has been said being open is the main thing and that will attact more devs to the project.

About to get a Roku so am looking forward to what choices are out there for me to use.

• Like 2

It will be very exciting. Already we've gotten offers from people to help develop, test, design images, and even donate Roku devices. Now that is a community project :)

• Like 3

Latchmor

I don't own a Roku but may in future so this can only be a good move. Good luck all ;-)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

CBers

Thanks for the heads-up Luke.

Not a programmer by trade (apart from unix scripting), but can read and understand code, so if Brightscript is easy to learn, then I might give it a go :)

If not, always available for testing.

PS. Any links for Brightscript that are useful for learning please ??

• Like 1

Sven

Thanks for the heads-up Luke.

Not a programmer by trade (apart from unix scripting), but can read and understand code, so if Brightscript is easy to learn, then I might give it a go :)

If not, always available for testing.

PS. Any links for Brightscript that are useful for learning please ??

http://sdkdocs.roku.com/display/sdkdoc/BrightScript+Language+Reference :)

• Like 2

doddsie

Thanks Luke

Something did not feel right with the multiple release thing......

1 Roku 3    2 NowTVs   if I can be of any help.

Doddsie

• Like 1

im85288

Good luck Luke, I hope this time any contributing Developer is treat with respect and allowed to add features without the need to jump through unrealistic hoops.

• Like 2

Lee

sounds good to me, as a somewhat experienced MB user I found the whole Roku thing a bit confusing/off-putting.

I've a roku and a nowTV and they both work very well with BOTH the previous apps pity convergence couldn't happen.

Look forward to the new app tho!!!

• Like 3

Steven

This is great news for the community. Hopefully things can stay straight forward this time around.

• Like 2

Absolutely. The zip will be posted here in the forum for easy downloading. There will be no more opening of ports required.

• Like 3

Maleficarum

Awesome, I look forward to seeing what you guys can conjure up. :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
A8HTPC

I wish I could help out but those coding for dummy books don't do much good! :P I have had many issues with the plex roku app for months now, possibly something to do with a roku update so I am anxious to have a MB app :D

• 1 month later...