3.0.10 Audio

pgriffith

AdrianW

And that's a great movie :)

I've been trying to get into it - it's been half played for a few weeks. I really like Amy Seimetz  (first seasons of The Girlfriend Experience and Get Shorty) but I'm having difficulty continuing with this movie.

Guest asrequested

I've been trying to get into it - it's been half played for a few weeks. I really like Amy Seimetz (first seasons of The Girlfriend Experience and Get Shorty) but I'm having difficulty continuing with this movie.

It's the same guy who made Primer. So yeah, it's very cerebral. I'm hoping he makes another movie.

Guest asrequested

A little side note on her. I met her ex boyfriend, (he wrote 50/50). An interesting guy... anyway...we were talking about Caruth and Upstream Color, so he told me about her. He said she was a great actress, but a terrible girlfriend lol.

AdrianW

I often listen to the Doug Loves Movies podcast - Amy was on one not that long ago (this one) she sounded stoned the entire time - worse than Doug!

Guest asrequested

I often listen to the Doug Loves Movies podcast - Amy was on one not that long ago (this one) she sounded stoned the entire time - worse than Doug!

lol...actresses, right?

AdrianW

I'm still having audio drops - it's happening less often (twice in about 2 hours this evening), and is also happening with h264/EAC3 files. No idea why it's started recently when I've gone about a year without it happening. 

I've checked everything I can think of (not that there's a lot) -  I've checked Windows audio settings as well as ET's - and they appear to be fine. It's highly unlikely to be my receiver as audio from my Apple TV and Blu-ray player doesn't have problems.

Guest asrequested

Windows audio won't have any affect if you're bitstreaming. Test again with no bitstreaming. And to clarify, the only audio that would suffer from letting mpv decode the audio, would be Atmos and dtsX. Everything else is exactly the same as if you let your receiver decode the audio. So disable bitstreaming for a prolonged test. And for this, your Windows audio and settings in theater need to be correct.

Edited by Doofus

AdrianW

Windows audio won't have any affect if you're bitstreaming. Test again with no bitstreaming. And to clarify, the only audio that would suffer from letting mpv decode the audio, would be Atmos and dtsX. Everything else is exactly the same as if you let your receiver decode the audio. So disable bitstreaming for a prolonged test. And for this, your Windows audio and settings in theater need to be correct.

OK, I'll try turning off bitstreaming for longer. Although I always prefer to see my receiver displaying the original audio type rather than the more generic PCM.

The Windows audio settings does have an effect on AAC 5.1 audio (probably because I'm not bitstreaming that). But, occasionally I've noticed that I only get 2 channel PCM from 6 channel AAC and it turns out that Windows has dropped back to stereo instead of being at 5.1.

Guest asrequested

In Windows, how do you have your receiver configured under properties? As we're using exclusivity it shouldn't matter, but check it anyway.

5dd4dabb6113b_Annotation20191119221635.j

Edited by Doofus

AdrianW

Mine is at 16bit 48000Hz DVD quality. But I do have the two checkboxes checked.

Windows 10 makes it damn difficult to get to that dialog.

Guest asrequested

I haven't been able to reproduce it in mpv. I'm increasing the log level for Theater. I'll see what it says when it happens again.

• Like 1

Guest asrequested

I actually think this is network related. I rarely have it happen. I think that's why it happens when bitstreaming the audio. But I am curious.

AdrianW

I actually think this is network related. I rarely have it happen. I think that's why it happens when bitstreaming the audio. But I am curious.

I'm still bitstreaming (haven't taken your suggestion yet) - but today there were no dropouts at all during 90 minutes of viewing. But yesterday, we had about 4 dropouts during a 30 minute episode of Silicon Valley.

Guest asrequested

I think I read somewhere that the mpv devs might update the bitstreaming process. I think wm4 mentioned something. It's very intermittent, and hard to pinpoint. The next time it happens for me, I'll see if there's anything in the log.

• 4 weeks later...
AdrianW

Still getting audio dropouts when bitstreaming, tonight it was happening with dts-HD MA. I've had to switch all audio types to no longer bitstream.

Will this ever be fixed?

Guest asrequested

I've been having it happen, too. I haven't gotten around to looking at the logs. I'll have more time today, so if it happens I'll try to see what's happening. You could look, too. Did you elevate your log level?

Edited by Doofus

• 1 month later...
AdrianW

Just add msg-level= to your conf.

https://mpv.io/manual/master/#options-msg-level

I use v

So, I added that line to the mpv conf file back in December. But, I didn't want to risk any audio dropouts over the holiday period, so I only just switched back to bitstreaming yesterday. Then 30 minutes into the first show it dropped out.

Now, where do I look for the logs? Would it go into the ET logs or the mpv logs? I know where the ET logs are, but I can't see anything different in there. 

AdrianW

Can we PLEASE have "off" returned as an option for "Enable video display syncing" - the name of that setting includes the word "enable" - but there are only three different enable options - where is the disable option?

Having it set to "auto" causes audio dropouts. I've just tried "video drop" (Doofus suggested it might help) and almost immediately got audio dropouts.

Back when there was an "off" option I never had audio issues at all, and it never went out of sync either.

AdrianW

Yes that's possible. For now you could do it in mpv.conf.

What setting should I use? And will it prevent ET from overriding it?

-edit-

Looking at the mpv settings - perhaps "video-sync=display-desync" is the correct option to try.

Edited by AdrianW