Connecting desktop and synology through an ethernet cable?

Bigmack3000

Bigmack3000

Hey,  Just received and set up my Synology DS1817+.  It sits underneath the mac desktop I plan to use to rip blurays and dvds, but the mac is only on wifi right now.  Can I use on of the ports on the back of the synology to run an ethernet cable directly from that to my desktop for a faster connection when ripping?

Spaceboy

Hey, Just received and set up my Synology DS1817+. It sits underneath the mac desktop I plan to use to rip blurays and dvds, but the mac is only on wifi right now. Can I use on of the ports on the back of the synology to run an ethernet cable directly from that to my desktop for a faster connection when ripping?

no you can’t. You can only bond them together in DSM to double the speed between diskstation and router
  • Like 1

FrostByte

No.  Like Spaceboy said they are meant for link aggregation, not for daisy chaining.   You might be able to do something like that using a software or virtual switch, never tried it.  However, I don't think that is going to be any faster than just plugging them both into the same hardware switch.

Bigmack3000

No.  Like Spaceboy said they are meant for link aggregation, not for daisy chaining.   You might be able to do something like that using a software or virtual switch, never tried it.  However, I don't think that is going to be any faster than just plugging them both into the same hardware switch.

Yea, egg on my face for trying to buy a smaller switch, I guess.

Bigmack3000

no you can’t. You can only bond them together in DSM to double the speed between diskstation and router

You can only do this with a managed switch, right?

• 2 weeks later...
majorsl

You can bond them on an unmanaged switch, I've done this for awhile.

Synology has multiple ways to do it.  Now that I do have a managed switch, I keep meaning to go back and re-do mine with what some might say is the "better way", but... meh, it works perfectly as is and it hasn't floated to the top of my priority list.