Dolby Vision playback new Shield?

lightsout

I like some of the LiveTV remote functions listed there too. Long requested here..

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

We'll take a look at it. Thanks for the feedback.

Would it be possible to implement this so that it can also be disabled? That is, there are some TV sets that have been reported to have "not optimal" Dolby Vision implementations thus making a normal HDR picture much better without Dolby Vision. Thank you!

Spaceboy

I like some of the LiveTV remote functions listed there too. Long requested here..

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

well there’s only 2 and one of them we had at one point but it was universally agreed that it was wrong. If you want to have an on now program air when you select it press the play button rather than select

Buster_Briggs

I too would be interested in getting Emby working for Dolby Vision on the new 2019 NVIDIA Shield.

The LG EMBY app plays Dolby Vision on my LG OLED65C8PUA just fine which would make sense but does not play the same files on the new 2019 Shield where it defaults to HDR10 as Lightsout has reported. I bought the new Shield for the very reason to consolidate playing all movie types in EMBY (Android/Shield) rather than bouncing back and forth from the LG to the Shield. The EMBY solution on the Shield has been the cat's behind for everything except this new DV format which was previously unavailable until recently so I have patience and faith that the Emby team will get this sorted for us ;-)

• 1 month later...
pr3dict

I too would be interested in getting Emby working for Dolby Vision on the new 2019 NVIDIA Shield.

The LG EMBY app plays Dolby Vision on my LG OLED65C8PUA just fine which would make sense but does not play the same files on the new 2019 Shield where it defaults to HDR10 as Lightsout has reported. I bought the new Shield for the very reason to consolidate playing all movie types in EMBY (Android/Shield) rather than bouncing back and forth from the LG to the Shield. The EMBY solution on the Shield has been the cat's behind for everything except this new DV format which was previously unavailable until recently so I have patience and faith that the Emby team will get this sorted for us ;-)

are you playing mp4's or m2ts? I tried with an m2ts on lg emby app and it was direct streaming not direct playing while killing the dolby vision possibility. 

(I'm trying to keep my dolby vision + atmos at the same time)

Edited by pr3dict

Buster_Briggs

are you playing mp4's or m2ts? I tried with an m2ts on lg emby app and it was direct streaming not direct playing while killing the dolby vision possibility. 

(I'm trying to keep my dolby vision + atmos at the same time)

The Dolby Atmos (sent thru Arc to receiver from LG) + Dolby Vision (logo appears upon play) both work with my MP4's played thru the Emby app. I have not tried M2TS files (that I recall). You may want to try the LG Photo+Video app to play them as I was using that to play them off my server which also worked for me. 

I have yet to get any Dolby Vision to play from my Shield yet except the content through Disney+ and Netflix. Still holding out hope that Emby or Plex figure that one out. I have tried every player app and nothing so far :(

I may just have to pony up for a new LG OLED and receiver with EArc and all my problems to play all my NAS library file types from one source would be solved but it is such an expensive solution! I was hoping the new Shield would be that magic bullet but not yet. Emby on Shield was great until Dolby Vision came along and now I hear IMAX has yet another type coming. The tech madness never ceases with it's drip drip drip of technology released to us.

pr3dict

ah I was under the impression that Mp4 remuxes could only have Dolby Vision or Atmos, not both...

The Dolby Atmos (sent thru Arc to receiver from LG) + Dolby Vision (logo appears upon play) both work with my MP4's played thru the Emby app. I have not tried M2TS files (that I recall). You may want to try the LG Photo+Video app to play them as I was using that to play them off my server which also worked for me. 

I have yet to get any Dolby Vision to play from my Shield yet except the content through Disney+ and Netflix. Still holding out hope that Emby or Plex figure that one out. I have tried every player app and nothing so far :(

I may just have to pony up for a new LG OLED and receiver with EArc and all my problems to play all my NAS library file types from one source would be solved but it is such an expensive solution! I was hoping the new Shield would be that magic bullet but not yet. Emby on Shield was great until Dolby Vision came along and now I hear IMAX has yet another type coming. The tech madness never ceases with it's drip drip drip of technology released to us.

ernstgot

Sony A8G user here and when playing a .MP4 file with DV within the Android Emby app it defaults back to HDR. Would be great to this working. On a side note right now the container (MP4) can't contain Atmos however MKV can but can't do DV only HDR at the moment.

lightsout

Sony A8G user here and when playing a .MP4 file with DV within the Android Emby app it defaults back to HDR. Would be great to this working. On a side note right now the container (MP4) can't contain Atmos however MKV can but can't do DV only HDR at the moment.

Is this a dual or single layer file?

Buster_Briggs

MP4 can contain a compressed version of Dolby Atmos content in the Dolby Digital Plus (Allows for 15 full-bandwidth audio channels at a maximum bitrate of 6.144 mb/s) container with an Atmos substream but it can not be the uncompressed HD version of Atmos but the compressed version in the E-AC-3 format. MP4's do not support HD audio but support the E-AC-3 format. You can find trailers in this format to test with but they do display as Dolby Digital Plus and not Dolby Atmos on your receiver so you're technically correct but the receiver will decode these to an Atmos speaker setup. Netflix 4K videos will also list there audio streams as Atmos which is in this Dolby Digital Plus format E-AC-3 container. The waters are so muddied up with all these technicalities when discussing this topic so it's easy to confuse other people. It was my mistake to actually call it Atmos when technically it is not but in my 11.2 setup my Onkyo will play these DD+ with Atmos substreams to my Atmos ceiling speakers and not to the surround speakers which tells me that even though the DD+ output is indicated on the receiver that it indeed does read the Atmos substream into the appropriate speakers for it. 

Edited by Buster_Briggs

h.buckle

Don't think there is anything besides Oppo that is playing them right now.

Correct, the Shield cannot play dual layer

Guest asrequested

Do you guys have a sample of a DV video that shows as DV on your display? I'm experimenting, and I need to set a baseline.

• 4 months later...
doctorsirius

Hi, would be great to have support for Dolby Vision on Emby, specially now is possible to start using MKV as a container using profile MpegH HEVC Main10@L5.1 (dvhe.07.06 BL+EL+RPU FEL), MakeMKV and soon MKVToolnix are giving support to it, also there is a open issue on matroska's Github (https://github.com/cellar-wg/matroska-specification/issues/373) for deciding the best way to properly identify it on the MKV container.

Also ExoPlayer has accepted the feature request with low priority https://github.com/google/ExoPlayer/issues/7267, don't know if this is enough or Emby also need to support it in someway, I'm just guessing Emby uses ExoPlayer as well.

Regards.

• Like 1

Hi.  As soon as Exoplayer supports it, we will too.

Thanks!

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
7 minutes ago, doctorsirius said:

FYI Latest exoplayer master has merged the MVK Dolby Vision support.

Yes this will be going into our version soon. Thanks for the feedback.

• Like 4