Best Option for playback

prasasumeet

prasasumeet

Hi all

So originally I have always converted all my media to mp4 format and have had the transcoding option at emby panel end for users turned off, meaning for any new user, media playback option had only the 1st one ticked (allow media playback)

Now my library has gotten bigger and I don't want to keep converting library to mp4. 

With emby, the normal process depending on user end is that is will direct play what it can however with new containers now, if the transcoding option is not on, it will not play and bounce back. 

If I enable all 4 options for transcoding, the server is not handling more work. 

How best to handle this without always getting server to transcode? 

Hope this makes sense and look forward to everyones response.

How best to handle this without always getting server to transcode? 

Choose between:

• Convert your media to mp4/mkv with h264 video & aac/mp3 audio
  • OR have your users play using Emby apps that can direct play more formats, such as Emby Theater for Windows, our Android app, iOS app, etc.

prasasumeet

Hi Luke!

Thanks for your response.

Users use the Android tv version of the app however, I don't think the app actually supports all hence it starts to transcode.

Hi Luke!

Thanks for your response.

Users use the Android tv version of the app however, I don't think the app actually supports all hence it starts to transcode.

It supports quite a bit, but yes there are some things it still doesn't, such as certain subtitle formats.